01 cobra vs. 03 cobra

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
Well i heard the safe hp # for a stock bottom end on new edge cobras and mach 1's is 450. Dez racing backed the timing down to 12 degrees and richened the tune to 11.1. Sure if I leaned it out and advanced the timing, I could make well into the 500hp range the way the car sits. It's just that I don't want to throw one of my powered metal rods through my aluminum block, lol. My plan is to eventually forge my bottom end and crank up the boost. It's all a matter of $. lol

Stilling running a stock longblock in my 01 485 hp and 540tq. Roll up pullied 03 04 like its my job lol :coolman:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Stilling running a stock longblock in my 01 485 hp and 540tq. Roll up pullied 03 04 like its my job lol :coolman:

ouch.. one slight mis-step and your going to have an air conditioned block.. (your rods and slugs aren't meant to take that much uummph through them)

Chuckie B

Established Member
I have about 9000 miles on my NT555R's. I'll get another season out of them, then I'll get something better. I'll definately consider your advice. I was thinking of getting the new Nitto Nt05R's, they're supposed to be a ton better than the 555R's.

9000 miles and getting another season out of them?..damn u either baby that thing or i just drive mine like i stole it:-D

2001CobraDan

Established Member
9000 miles and getting another season out of them?..damn u either baby that thing or i just drive mine like i stole it:-D

lol. Well, I actually just bought the car a few months ago. I myself have only put a few hundred miles on the car. The previous owner never did burnouts with it due to the stock IRS. They are rated for 15k of treadlife though.

omj

Established Member
Yeah I still do have the irs. Bushings and a brace are definately also a hop up a have in mind. You recommend Kenny Brown over like the Full Tilt Boogie or the Steeda Stop the hop? And yes, If I do race next season, Ill post it up on this thread! Thanks Man.

I'm going with FTB, seems to be best designed set on the market. I don't like urethane bushings.

mrbigjeep

Established Member
why are we all still speculating??? he already said he wasn't even gonna race him...gay.

can't have just a friendly race for fun?? lame

2001CobraDan

Established Member
why are we all still speculating??? he already said he wasn't even gonna race him...gay.

can't have just a friendly race for fun?? lame

I think we'll eventually race in the spring for fun. He actually just put his 03 away for the winter. Next spring will be a whole different story! I'll let u guys know...

blkvenm97

Established Member
haha

.....ummm i would hope so....heck theres nothing is the back to weigh it down... :rollseyes
....when he finally is able to burn tires in third then post back... :thumbsup:

I agree with YOU 100%...my old 94 s-10 daily driver with just a cold air induction and muffler and tailpipe delete would bark the shit out of 2nd gear and it was a 130 hp 2.2 liter 4 cylinder lmao. if it had any kind of half ass 350 in it it would smoke 2nd. If it had an ls1 it would be an animal and we wouldn't even be talking about roasting 2nd he'd be askin someone how to get traction period lol. Nothing like an old school backroad hillbilly chevy lover who doesn't even know which motor to brag about...they're like "hey man it's got a 350 in it" hell ALOT of stuff has a 350 in it...that don't mean ANYTHING...what does the 350 have in it...that's the question...if it was an ls1 and got traction it may give these cars a race but if it's just a run of the mill stock junkyard 350 you can forget it lol

blkvenm97

Established Member
I think we'll eventually race in the spring for fun. He actually just put his 03 away for the winter. Next spring will be a whole different story! I'll let u guys know...

yeah man can't wait to hear the outcome...I love the N/A cobras that have centrificals on em...I love the instant boost of a roots but that just leads to even MORE tire spin...as if ya need that lmao. Yall are a lil late I live in VA and my 94 GT has been put up for a month lol. if I had cars like you guys I'd have done the same. I'm thinking about procharging my car with about 8 psi or so and get a good custom blower cam for my combo so I can join the 400+ rwhp club and 400+ rwtq club...I don't think it would have any problem doin that with a good tune...most of the cars around here are near stock anyways...not all but must...you don't see a lot of cars runnin the streets with over 400 at the tires so I'd outrun just about everyone in my small lil town...where the fastest car is a firehawk t/a, a 2000 saleen s281 sc with mac prochamber and bkk cai (probably has 340-350 rwhp) and there's a couple 2010 stock SSs and a couple near stock gtos with young guys drivin em...there used to be a z06 but it was crashed and the guy drives an auto ls1 t/a now that's mostly stock. there is an s197 with a supercharger/exhast, etc. that's silver with a black top and has 20 inch 95 style cobra rs on it but I'm not sure on the exact specs but I'm sure it's got 400 rwhp sureyly. I think if I got my car above that number it would own all those cars in the quarter. Can you really pull 125 mph out of 4th gear with 4.30s? I had a 97 cobra with 4.10s and I "thought" it pulled about 120 in 4th...never correctected the speedo so it'd be burried at 160 at the top of 4th so i never knew how fast I was going just assumed 120. My speedo is off in my 94 and I plan to fix that by the time I bring it out what do you think my car will pull at the top of 4th redlining at 6k rpms with a t5 and 3.73s? just wondering I always assumed 115-120. can't wait to hear about your races man...GL!
Michael

blkvenm97

Established Member
sorry

sorry about typing so much I got a lil excited because I havn't drove mine in a lil bit...hahah...I just did the cobra intake, spacer, 1.7 rr and ported gt40 head swap a couple weeks before I put her up for the winter...hence why it's not been tuned yet. I think I may get a trickflow stage 1 cam and a dyno tune when I bring the car back out with my tax return money. not to jack but what do you guys think?

2001CobraDan

Established Member
sorry about typing so much I got a lil excited because I havn't drove mine in a lil bit...hahah...I just did the cobra intake, spacer, 1.7 rr and ported gt40 head swap a couple weeks before I put her up for the winter...hence why it's not been tuned yet. I think I may get a trickflow stage 1 cam and a dyno tune when I bring the car back out with my tax return money. not to jack but what do you guys think?

Sounds like a nice little car! Your mph guess sounds about right. I used to have a 2003 GT w/ a vortech s-trim on it. It made 341 rwhp, had the TR3650 w/ stock 3.27 gears in it, I could only get around 125 @ the top of fourth. Even though it had low gears, maybe it lacked the lungs to do any better. The cobra will do around 120 in 4th w/ the 4.30's, it gets there pretty quick too w/ 460rwhp! lol.

need it

Established Member
have done this race with less hp than you and won..higher compression, less weight.. centrifical pulls harder up top..also are 5 speed is better for drag racing...

Last edited:

04nccobra

Established Member
Should be a great race, whoever doesn't blow their tires out, or doesn't miss a shift will probably be the winner. Make sure you get a video when it happens for us

SVT-chris

Established Member
my cousin in indiana has a s10 with a 350 in it, that sumbitch will burn the tires off when it hits second, he might race you

That is the most mullet-e comment I've ever heard.

lmao hey i think i saw his cousin at the beach last summer! :lol1:

3183_mullet_2003usopen.jpg

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Always good to see an upstart 01 cobra. Too bad you guys aren't running, I haven't seen a lot of videos of strong running 2001 challenging the 03/04s. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places though.

And for the s10 guy, I got a footprint gas pedal I'll sell you for $80.00

you definately are not looking in the right places.... :beer:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3U7F3hJFk"]YouTube - Mofo-2003 500hp Ported Blower Cobra vs 01 Nitrous Cobra[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread