03-04 Cobra taillights on 99?

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Got a set of 03-04 tails for my 99, knowing the harnesses were different I thought just slicing both of the main signal wires to the brake light wires would work... ehh wrong. When i turned on the left blinker it made both tails and 3rd brake light blink. Now I see where that was the wrong solution since well, all 3 brake lights are connected.

Is this a possibility to work, or did i waste $60?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I have 03/04 lights on my 01. I just drilled a hole in each of the 03 lights to accept the extra bulb for the turn signal, so I didn't have to change anything in the wiring.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
PS. If you want to save the trouble of drilling yours, I'll trade you my brand new 03 lights with the holes already done, for your 99 ones :)

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
well i think the 99's look better, but to each there own...Good luck man

I like the 99 tail lights and front bumper better that 03/04

03/04 takes it with the best rear bumper cover and better looking hood.

The seats on an 03/04 make the 99 seats look like cloth lawn cahirs.

Also..I would keep your 99 tails

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
thumbsdown.jpg

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Yeah I hadnt planned on getting rid of the 99 lenses, just liked the tinted all black look of the other ones.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
What he said.

FWIW - 1999-04 GT and 03/04 Cobra all share the same tail lights. :rockon:

I know theyre all the same. Its ridiculous how much the 99-01 tail light harnesses are different just to add that one extra light.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Funny how everybody likes the amber lights. Over here we've had amber turn signals since the 50's on all cars, so it's kinda cool to change to all red lights instead. I like them as well, even though I currently have a pair of tinted GT lights mounted (to go with the black/white theme). I put the turns signal in the backup light with a yellow bulb and let the backup light hang inside the taillight.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Funny how everybody likes the amber lights. Over here we've had amber turn signals since the 50's on all cars, so it's kinda cool to change to all red lights instead. I like them as well, even though I currently have a pair of tinted GT lights mounted (to go with the black/white theme). I put the turns signal in the backup light with a yellow bulb and let the backup light hang inside the taillight.

I am as well trying to do the trooped out theme. That doesnt seem like a very efficient place to put your reverse light though haha.

Last edited:

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
As mentioned you don't have to change anything with the harness..just drill a simple hole.......

Yeah i just wanted them to work correctly as they should with both brake lights blinking, but this seems like the best alternative.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
I just bought a tinted pair off of an 03 cobra. Really want sequentials, any way to make them work on a 99/01 cobra? :shrug:

Negative, I was unable to wire up the lights to work correctly. So I dont imagine that the sequentials would work.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Keep your Amber ones....They looks better plus we (99/01 Cobras) look different from all the other mustangs in our years.

Users who are viewing this thread