03-04 cobras with cams , please come in

jm35ny

Established Member
I love to do cams in my cobra, the sound alone is good enough for me! I even called a few shops here in ny/nj over the summer for prices. Most shops wanted $3000 for labor, plus the price of the cams. If anyone knows where i can get them installed for less let me know please!

jm35ny

Established Member
MM &FF did an article a couple of months ago on a GT500 that they swapped the cams with the motor still in the car. I dont think they degreed them though

jm35ny

Established Member
listen to these cams!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXarl4fvgk&feature=related"]YouTube - 2004 Cobra Comp Cams 106500 race/limited street[/nomedia]

GodStang

Established Member
Degreeing is important and the GT500 are far superior to our heads so gains will do them more.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
MM &FF did an article a couple of months ago on a GT500 that they swapped the cams with the motor still in the car. I dont think they degreed them though

Swapping cams into a 4v engine isn't an issue while it is in the engine bay [except for removal of the driver side valve cover due to the master cylinder] ..the big issue is installing the valve springs/retainers. They are an absolute pain with the motor in place and are a lot easier with the heads removed.

...with that said..removal of the heads is much easier and faster if you just pull the entire engine.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
i got comp cams custom grind blower cams. my car is a turbo but the blower cams work real well. pretty deacent lope. only thing is i gotta give it gas when starting it. i have the idle set about 1k rpm. sounds sick. also sometimes it will throw a check engine light when for a cam position sensor when starting it.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Cold starts on a cammed car is always fun.

Mine spits and sputters until it warms up and goes into closed loop [or open loop..forgot which one is which, lol]...but it sounds soo nasty like that

I'll also have cam surge up to about ~30mph...it's a game of compromises.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Cold starts on a cammed car is always fun.

Mine spits and sputters until it warms up and goes into closed loop [or open loop..forgot which one is which, lol]...but it sounds soo nasty like that

I'll also have cam surge up to about ~30mph...it's a game of compromises.

It completely blows my mind that a lot of guys WANT THIS! In multiple posts in this thread and others, guys flat out state "I don't care how much power increase I just want the LOPE!":shrug::dw:

Unlike the old V8s where a cam change was a piece of cake, It's a significant undertaking on these cars and you have to buy 4 cams!:eek::uh oh::rollseyes

Back in the late 70s when 460s had about 208 HP and the crank gear retarded the cam at least 10 degrees, this undertaking really produced results.
A simple cam and crank gear change tuned them into a monster for dirt cheap.

Enjoy your "lope" guys.:-D:lol:(I'll just watch..)

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I think I'll just stick with my 98 Cobra intake cams.. Should help with some power lol. I'll have some real results of the 98 Cobra cams. Everything else is staying the same just the cam install.. So that way the 04 Cobra guys will know some cold hard facts on them.. Also they are aren't degree'd I don't think so this would be just a drop in and go..

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
It completely blows my mind that a lot of guys WANT THIS! In multiple posts in this thread and others, guys flat out state "I don't care how much power increase I just want the LOPE!":shrug::dw:

Unlike the old V8s where a cam change was a piece of cake, It's a significant undertaking on these cars and you have to buy 4 cams!:eek::uh oh::rollseyes

Back in the late 70s when 460s had about 208 HP and the crank gear retarded the cam at least 10 degrees, this undertaking really produced results.
A simple cam and crank gear change tuned them into a monster for dirt cheap.

Enjoy your "lope" guys.:-D:lol:(I'll just watch..)

Being NA at the time I saw huge gains from the cam. With JUST 03 heads and off the shelf cams..I made 326rwhp having issues and dyno pull stopped before 6k RPMS [NO bolt ons..whatsoever]

Also...I got all four cams, valve springs, and retainers for $700 shipped..deal of the century.

I assembled my longblock when I was 19..the biggest thing I have EVER done on a car previously..was installing a JLT CAI on my b-head setup. Not really complicated if you do it yourself, just tedious.

While most of my initial desires were to have that loping sound...I reaped the benefits of absolutely huge gains [being NA]. Being able to spin 7100RPMs and bounce off the fuel cutoff while the car was STILL pulling harder and harder..is an amazing feeling. Can't wait to spin my new combination to over 8k+ rpms on custom cams!

To each their own.. I haven't heard a street car sound close to good as mine does..cammed 4Vs are such a treat to the ear, my favorite mod. Period.

Big cams aren't meant for the fainted hearted or your grandmothers...if you can't deal with it..stick with the terrible power producing 184* of duration cams. More for the rest of us. :rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Big cams aren't meant for the fainted hearted or your grandmothers...if you can't deal with it..stick with the terrible power producing 184* of duration cams. More for the rest of us. :rockon:

I commend you digging in and learning to do this stuff yourself.:beer: Good for you, more guys should turn their own wrenches.

However although I'm not exactly fainthearted, I actually am a grandfather:-D
I just thought I would tease you guys a little since the "sound" thing IS pretty silly TO ME, when you can get over 700 RWHP on bone stock cams on a Terminator engine with E85 and some boost.

Just saying..:-D carry on..

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I commend you digging in and learning to do this stuff yourself.:beer: Good for you, more guys should turn their own wrenches.

However although I'm not exactly fainthearted, I actually am a grandfather:-D
I just thought I would tease you guys a little since the "sound" thing IS pretty silly TO ME, when you can get over 700 RWHP on bone stock cams on a Terminator engine with E85 and some boost.

Just saying..:-D carry on..

Gracias senor for the kind words..it's become more than a passion for me..it's a lifestyle for me now :burnout:

However I won't argue with your statement..stock heads&cams on these cars can go a LONG distance before they are a 'limitation'..especially since it is only 281ci of volume you have to feed. However there are gains to be made with better cams..whether it is my little ~400rwhp NA car or a 600rwhp boosted 4v..just a matter of if it is worth it to the owner for the end product.

However for different people and different builds..bigger cams may be needed and extremely beneficial. I am sure I'll come to a point where I see the beauty in a nice idling car with full accessories...but today I'm still a kid that has yet to learn that. :beer:

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I still can't help it, and I want it bad. I am calling mod performance to speak with John if they are open tomorrow. The wife is on board (because she is awesome!!!!) so I start my quest to get more info on custom cams. :dancenana: Will have my cooling mod and new twin clutch installed while its apart. :thumbsup:

Ironhand

Banned
I still can't help it, and I want it bad. I am calling mod performance to speak with John if they are open tomorrow. The wife is on board (because she is awesome!!!!) so I start my quest to get more info on custom cams. :dancenana: Will have my cooling mod and new twin clutch installed while its apart. :thumbsup:

Which cooling mod and clutch you going with Rob? :) I shouldn't have shown you the RXT huh..:rockon:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
The rxt is the way I was leaning already :thumbsup: and I have had the chicago mod in a box waiting to be installed for a few years now :-D but wasn't gonna install it until I had to take some things apart :shrug:

Ironhand

Banned
The rxt is the way I was leaning already :thumbsup: and I have had the chicago mod in a box waiting to be installed for a few years now :-D but wasn't gonna install it until I had to take some things apart :shrug:

Let me know if you need a hand with something if you decide to tackle it on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread