04 Cobra / battery light

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
My '04 TR cobra has about '91k miles and has been pretty trouble free. (original owner).

Last fall, I started seeing a the charge/battery light pop on under hard accel, or sometimes when RPM were up over 4-5k. Since I was still on my original alternator, I decided it was time to swap it out, and installed one of Jamies (start n charge) 160a alternators and the heavy guage charging cable. At the same time I replaced both belts, all idler bearings, the water pump and thermostat (probably not relavent).

Car has been stored and covered all winter. Just last week, I charged up the battery, replaced a broken battery (+) terminal to get it ready to drive.

I have put about 75 miles in it, and am still seeing the battery light popping on in the same way as before.

It seems to start well enough on the battery, but it is a 2-3 year old AAP Gold battery. Is this sorry battery causing my issue? What else could it be?

b_dike

Established Member
Yes it could be... also a bad battery can quickly ruin a alternator, so if you replace one it's usually a good idea to replace the other.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Double check with Jamie that the alternator you got from him is good. My replacement from him had those exact same symptoms and problems. WOT and battery light came on. I ended up sending it back to him for a refund and got an autoparts store unit with a lifetime warrantee and haven't looked back.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anybody heard from Jamie lately? I just tried to send him an email and it bounced back.

He'd usually respond to PMs on this board or even just call him. Don't have his number saved but I'm pretty sure just a search on the board will find it.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I have his #. I think I had a formatting issue with the email. I sent another, and will give it a day or two for a response.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My 95 Lincoln with the 4 valve motor is doing the same. Local alternator shop said, Replace the belt. I did. Drove 200 miles the next day and no light. Next morning I got up and had to go to the same place again and 10 miles from the house it started again. On and off all the way there and back especially if I hit a hard bump. Changed out battery 2 weeks ago and started it up and light flickered on and off again. Pulled it outside the garage and let it run for 15 minutes and still on and off. I hate to have to change the alternator but looks like I am going to have to.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
haha yeah once that battery light starts there's no getting around it. Alternator swap. When I got my start-n-charge I figured surely it had to be something else. I tried it all, new belts, metco 3.2, stock pulley, upgraded all ground wiring, upgraded main power supply cable to alternator, replaced battery, had alternator tested at local auto parts store, replaced battery again, had alternator tested at proper alternator rebuild shop this time who still claimed it was just fine.

Finally I just gave up and replaced the alternator and bingo problem fixed. Jamie said he suspected it's the diodes that were bad or not working correctly but he wasn't sure why. He had some ideas on repairing it but refunded me till he can figure it out. Hopefully he has a solution for the OP.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Guys, I heard back from Jamie by email this morning. It sounds like it might be an issue resulting from some bad tooling. (not sure exactly how that is).. But I am going to send the alternator back to him shortly for him to check out. I can say this... Jamie sure seems like a stand up guy. Problems will arise from any supplier. Its how they deal with them that makes all the difference!!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Guys, I heard back from Jamie by email this morning. It sounds like it might be an issue resulting from some bad tooling. (not sure exactly how that is).. But I am going to send the alternator back to him shortly for him to check out. I can say this... Jamie sure seems like a stand up guy. Problems will arise from any supplier. Its how they deal with them that makes all the difference!!

That's cool he's got a fix or at least narrowing it down. You're right good service makes a world of difference and ensures repeat customers.

Users who are viewing this thread