05 GT vs 350Z

PuertoricanSRT

Established Member
Here I am again with a question, sorry guys.:rollseyes A friend of a friend jeje owns a 350Z with 20" rims too, CAI, Cat Back exhaust and Short shifter. The thing is that I will race him soon. Should I get worried, Should I race him from a dig or from a roll. Give me some advice please. Thank You. :thumbsup:

Hatchman

Established Member
Either way, you'll win. You will beat him worse from a dig, you have better gears and more low end torque. Have fun.

Steve00GT

Established Member
I would say those monster 20's he has will hurt him, but I see you have 20's as well. Still, you have full exhaust and 4.10's, so that ought to be more than enough to own him.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
if those are all his mods and those are all your mods.....you should hand his a$$ to him on a silver plater. big rims aren't good for racing.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
aoc racer said:
if those are all his mods and those are all your mods.....you should hand his a$$ to him on a silver plater. big rims aren't good for racing.

I agree..... will not be too much of a race for you!!!

BTW AOC_RACER.... Really clean and nice MACH1!!!!

yboost

Established Member
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563022

"To settle the debate on which car is faster, I had my friend come down from the Woodlands yesterday in his 06 350z. There's a guy that comes out to the Wednesday meets at Taco Cabana on Westimer and Wilcrest. Anyway, last week I asked him has he ever ran a 350z and he told me "NO" sarcasticly, so I asked him wopuld he be willing to. He obligued, but he said he couldnt do it that night becuase of the issues with his front tire. So he asked me if we can set something up for later and I agreed. I gave him my number and that was that.

Fast forward to Monday. I recieve a call about 6 o'clock in the afternoon and it was the guy from TC(cant remember his name). He then decided to ask me is the race still on and I said sure but I would have to have my friend come down from the Woodlands. I made a phone call to my boy and about an hour later it was on. We decided to meet up at the starbucks on westimer and post oak to shoot the shit for awhile and discuss eachothers car. I must say this guy is very arrogant as well as conceded as he goes on and on how he hasnt lost to any imports and he pulles ls1 camaros. Yes LS1's! Anyway we decided to take it on to 59s, since there tends to be no traffic about this time of day(9:00) We all have seperate cars so I was behind them the whole time. So the first race was from a 3rd gear punch where the mustang slightly jump ahead and hold it till the top of 5th gear, where the 350 starts to pull on it. By the time they shut down about 150 or so, the 350 had about a half a car lead. Second race. They decide to do it from a second gear role. The 350z gets an early jump, but they decide to go all out till 140-145, where the Z held its ground again. The 3rd and final race was on the Beltway feeder where they did a dead stop run. The Mustang gets the jump and holds it till the top of 4th gear where they stayed neck and neck till 130 or so.

All in all it was a fun night. I say it is a drivers race till top of 4th, thats when the 350z gearing or so plays and advantage. BTW these are both manual transmissions with good drivers."

yboost

Established Member
Yes these where both stock. What advantages do the mustangs have over the 350z besides 40ftlb more torque. Torque doesnt matter from a roll. The 350z is lighter, has better gearing as well as aero dynamics. Both have the same amount of hp. There is a vid of a 350z pulling a 06 mustang gt from 40-140 by a car. Remember the new 05+ 350z trap about 104-106.

joegt38

Established Member
yboost said:
Yes these where both stock. What advantages do the mustangs have over the 350z besides 40ftlb more torque. Torque doesnt matter from a roll. The 350z is lighter, has better gearing as well as aero dynamics. Both have the same amount of hp. There is a vid of a 350z pulling a 06 mustang gt from 40-140 by a car. Remember the new 05+ 350z trap about 104-106.
104-106.........BULLSH!T:bs:

Wintermute

Banned
I was gonna say this race looks closer than you guys think, especially from a roll. I dont think the Z's respond as well to mods since they are tweaked as it is, but they are no joke.

yboost

Established Member
joegt38 said:
104-106.........BULLSH!T:bs:

Why dont you think so? Lets see evo 8-9 run 103 traps with 280hp. Sti runs 104 traps with 300hp. Ls1's runs 107 traps with 320hp. Mustangs run 104 traps with 300hp. So why do you think a 350z cant, which is lighter than all the cars above, plus better gearing?

joegt38

Established Member
yboost said:
Why dont you think so? Lets see evo 8-9 run 103 traps with 280hp. Sti runs 104 traps with 300hp. Ls1's runs 107 traps with 320hp. Mustangs run 104 traps with 300hp. So why do you think a 350z cant, which is lighter than all the cars above, plus better gearing?
Cause I know people that have them.....

The best the new ones will trap is about 103, you can't compare all them cars they are different, HP, weight and most important in drag racing torque, powerband and gearing...... Im sorry but the 350s are not impressive outta the hole, from a roll they can move a bit but when your talking drag racing your talking running from a dig which means torque and the 350 lacks that. Also you say LS1 trap 107, yes they do between 106-109 but they also dyno damn near what there rated at 320hp. The 350 does not dyno nowhere near an LS1 so its not going no 105 or 106 and IMO not even 104.

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
yboost said:

350z won't get out the hole quick enough, like the sti's and evo's..:read:
the 300hp 350Z traps at best 103 stock. sorry, but over on one of my localboards, a 287hp Z trapped at 99 stock, and no 13hp more, will have it trapping 5-7mph higher...:thumbsup:

yboost

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Cause I know people that have them.....

The best the new ones will trap is about 103, you can't compare all them cars they are different, HP, weight and most important in drag racing torque, powerband and gearing...... Im sorry but the 350s are not impressive outta the hole, from a roll they can move a bit but when your talking drag racing your talking running from a dig which means torque and the 350 lacks that. Also you say LS1 trap 107, yes they do between 106-109 but they also dyno damn near what there rated at 320hp. The 350 does not dyno nowhere near an LS1 so its not going no 105 or 106 and IMO not even 104.

Torque is not what wins races. If that where the case, the c6 Z06 would lose to a Ford Gt which it hasnt. Or the Viper would pull the C6 Z06, but it doesnt. There's a misconception that torque makes you faster, when it really doesnt. Have you ever been in a car that felt fast, but really wasnt. Thats the torque feeling you get. Hp and gearing is what win races.

What do you think would pull harder a 600hp 400ftlb of torque cobra or a 400hp and 600ftlb cobra. I gaurantee you, there would be more than a second difference between the two. Hell a tractor makes damn near 2000ftlb of torque, but I bet you it doesnt run a 10sec quarter!

yboost

Established Member
Slow Vette said:
350z won't get out the hole quick enough, like the sti's and evo's..:read:
the 300hp 350Z traps at best 103 stock. sorry, but over on one of my localboards, a 287hp Z trapped at 99 stock, and no 13hp more, will have it trapping 5-7mph higher...:thumbsup:

I have a twin turbo 350z(my350z.com Turismo). When my car was stock, I trapped at 101 and ran a 14.0 with a 2.2 60ft time. This is with the 287hp model. The guy that I followed to race the gt mustang, trapped at 105(his best mph to date). So please dont go quoting what you have witnessed. If you ask the majority of evo and sti drivers, the 350z pull hard on top.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/350z/10/74e54a98-2f8f-490c-9d99-9e360cb8820c.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/350z/10/392f0053-f4d2-4c99-b2d7-df804fcc1ea1.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/350z/17/8112a526-fec5-428b-97c0-71fa38255e70.htm

The first two vids are two stock 350z's which are supposedly slower than Lt1 and STi. The last vid is against an sti with bolt ons vs 350z with minor bolt ons.

So much for the Lt1 torque advantage.

PuertoricanSRT

Established Member
Hey the first video I think is in Puerto Rico. Well atleast the guy driving is puertorican jeje. Back to the thread this week or maybe next week some of my friends will be going to the track. One of them has an SRT4 stage2 , 1998 M3 , 2005 Civic SI and the 350Z im talking about. I will let you know the results when we race. Thank You for helping me:)

joegt38

Established Member
yboost said:
Torque is not what wins races. If that where the case, the c6 Z06 would lose to a Ford Gt which it hasnt. Or the Viper would pull the C6 Z06, but it doesnt. There's a misconception that torque makes you faster, when it really doesnt. Have you ever been in a car that felt fast, but really wasnt. Thats the torque feeling you get. Hp and gearing is what win races.

What do you think would pull harder a 600hp 400ftlb of torque cobra or a 400hp and 600ftlb cobra. I gaurantee you, there would be more than a second difference between the two. Hell a tractor makes damn near 2000ftlb of torque, but I bet you it doesnt run a 10sec quarter!
Your wrong, in a drag race Torque means alot, the 350 doesn't have that much HP to catch up with the GT off the line. You say torque don't win races what kinda races you talking about roll races? A Ford GT is faster then a Z06, it traps a few more MPH and runs the 1/4 a few tenths quicker, not much faster but alittle. Where do you get your info?
Your logic on torque is way out there buddy....

You can't prove that any stock 350Z would trap between 104-106 either...

Oh your the same tool on LS1TECH aint you........ Im not even going to argue about this with you Ive read your posts over there before. Your to brand loyal my friend get over it the 350 is nice but no supercar.....

Last edited:

yboost

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Your wrong, in a drag race Torque means alot, the 350 doesn't have that much HP to catch up with the GT off the line. You say torque don't win races what kinda races you talking about roll races? A Ford GT is faster then a Z06, it traps a few more MPH and runs the 1/4 a few tenths quicker, not much faster but alittle. Where do you get your info?
Your logic on torque is way out there buddy....

You can't prove that any stock 350Z would trap between 104-106 either...

Oh your the same tool on LS1TECH aint you........ Im not even going to argue about this with you Ive read your posts over there before. Your to brand loyal my friend get over it the 350 is nice but no supercar.....

Dude what the hell are you talking about. They make the same amount of hp! The 40-50ftlb of torque the GT has , is very insignificant for the amount that it weighs over the 350z. What you fail to realize is, your only going to be below your peak torque 1 time and that is in first gear. Every gear after that is all hp and gearing.

Let me ask you a question. How about if two identical cars made 300hp and 300ftlb of torque and ran the quarter at 14.5. Then for some reason you where able to change the output of the torque to 300hp and 600ftlb of torque. I gaurantee you it still would be a 14sec car. Take the other car and keep the same torque and change hp to 600hp, then Ill bet you youll have a 11sec car.

The Ford Gt is not faster than a C6 Z06! Have you seen any of the races? Then tell me why the F430, despite having 150ftlb of torque less and weighs about the same as the C6 Z06, still pull about the same traps?

If this where a tractor pulling contest, then I could understand your perspective becuase you need alot of torque down low to move an object of that kind of weight.

One more example! Why is an S2000 faster than a pre 05 mustang(disputeable), v6 camaro and v6 mustang, despite haveing a minimum of 100+ftlb of torque less?

Users who are viewing this thread