05 GTO at a local track last night.

Silver 03 Cobra

There was a yellow 05 GTO running at Shadyside in Shelby, NC last night. I thought, just my luck my 03 is in the body shop after I was t-boned in a parking lot. I met an 03 Cobra owner a couple of weeks ago and since I have a rental car I took my ET Streets down so he could try them out. The GTO ran a pile of passes running between 9.2 to 9.5's and the highest trap I saw was 78. He was on street tires. It looks like they were 245's. You would think since GM was putting 275's on LS1 F-Bodies they would have put them on the GTO. On one pass he had serious wheelhop even when he hit second. Shadyside is the fastest track I have ever ran. I ain't going to judge the car by what the guy was running but a 78 trap is not a good showing. I wouldn't even bother lining up with him. It was ricer heaven last night. I bet the message boards are buzzing on Ricer.net about 05 GTO kills at the track. There was a light sprinkle and after it quit the track announcer asked for slower cars to run and he aksed the imports to make a few passes. They tried to see who could make the most impressive burnout just before they ran 10's. Really pathetic. They are only impressing themselves.

There was also an SS hauled in on a trailer that was spraying and was running 7.3x's at 99 plus. He was ****y as hell. There were a lot of people that really thought he was fast. I was going to talk to him but I didn't get a chance to see what mods he was running. I sure would have liked to have lined the 03 up on him. On his third and final pass something gave in the drivetrain and they pushed it off the track and loaded it up. I think his rear end popped. I'll have to catch up with him in a few weeks.

Finally, a brand new 05 GT showed up with temporary tags. He ran a riced out Honda and lost running 9.2 to the 8.8 for the Honda. I'm sure that turd is bragging it up on the net. I ran into an 05 GT owner on Monday when I was trying to get the information from the guy that hit me so I could get it to the body shop. I stopped at a store and this guy was looking at it. I saw this black GT vert sitting out in the parking lot. He told me that hurt referring to my damage. I started talking to him about his vert and was was telling me how fast it was and that it was making 300 HP. He was really bragging about it. Then he asked me about my 03 and I told him I was over 720 at the crank. I didn't think he believed me and then he acted like he was in a hurry. He sure acted like he had plenty of time when he was telling me how bad his 05 was.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Most of the '05 owners really don't have a clue what the Terminators are about. Hell, most people period don't know. I guess it's up to us to educate 'em one at a time.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Those are horrendous times for an '05 GTO!! My stock auto '02 GT conv. did 9.2 at 75 :-D

Over at ls1gto.com I seen times for the '05 GTO in the 1/8 more like 8.3 to 8.5.

Last edited:

Blownmach

Established Member
A guy on my softball team just got back from picking up his 05GTO from Utah. I have an 03 Supercharged Mach, he is talking alot of smack, should I be worried?

TNTramair

Established Member
if its an ls1 gto than those times would be accurate especially if your putting someone behind the wheel that cant race to begin with.
the new ls2 GTO has a little more punch to it.

easiest way to tell...if it didnt have hood scoops and dual/dual exhaust (one on drivers and one on passnger side) it wasnt an ls2.

Bootbox

Established Member
Blownmach said:
A guy on my softball team just got back from picking up his 05GTO from Utah. I have an 03 Supercharged Mach, he is talking alot of smack, should I be worried?

He doesn't stand a chance.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
There was a light sprinkle and after it quit the track announcer asked for slower cars to run and he aksed the imports to make a few passes.

LOL!! That had to hurt the import guys egos quite a bit. :lol:

Silver 03 Cobra

TNTramair said:
if its an ls1 gto than those times would be accurate especially if your putting someone behind the wheel that cant race to begin with.
the new ls2 GTO has a little more punch to it.

easiest way to tell...if it didnt have hood scoops and dual/dual exhaust (one on drivers and one on passnger side) it wasnt an ls2.

Haha. I know how to tell an 04 from an 05.

It was the driver although I would say it looked harder to launch than an IRS Cobra and 245 wide tires are a joke for a 400 HP car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver 03 Cobra

NyteByte said:
LOL!! That had to hurt the import guys egos quite a bit. :lol:

Like most tracks, when they first start running, no high powered cars will go but the imports are hot lapping it. When they told them they could run they wouldn't go.

Then one was going to have to line up on the 03 Cobra I loaned the tires to and he wouldn't pull out of the water box and the 03 made a solo pass. I started to run up to him and tell him to lget his ass up to the line and line up. I couldn't believe they didn't jump on him. If it had been Mooresville they would have been up his ass sideways. Damn I hate ricers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver 03 Cobra

TORNATIC!! said:
Those are horrendous times for an '05 GTO!! My stock auto '02 GT conv. did 9.2 at 75 :-D

Over at ls1gto.com I seen times for the '05 GTO in the 1/8 more like 8.3 to 8.5.

It's possible but it would have to be a well prepped track or on drag tires. Definatley not on stock tires not from what I saw.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I saw a 04 GTO run a 14.1 a few weeks ago, but I dont think he was much of a driver :shrug: I was only running 12.9 13.0 so I was running slower than normal too. (kind of hot and humid)

hunterp

Established Member
Blownmach said:

You should win, no worries. Beat his ass like a rented mule!

sic04svt

You will smoke the GTO now problem. You can tell the difference between the 04 and 05 fairly simple. The 05 has exahust pipes on each side of the rear bumper. 04 only on the left. The 05 has the non functional ram air hood. 04 doesn't.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Blownmach said:

Your SC Mach, if your running 8-10psig of boost, should be running in the 11's in the 1/4. His GTO , if its basically stock, should be in the 13's. Does that answer your question. Now go kick his azz :pepper: .

Users who are viewing this thread