1996 Cooling TSB

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I know the 96's had a cooling issue, but how can you tell if it has been corrected or not? My old 96 had no cooling problems at all and I remember reading something about the black shroud on top of the radiator being larger than what it originally was from the factory. Here's a pic of a 96 engine bay in which I believe the TSB was done. Am I correct?

cobras015yt0.jpg

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
I dont think ur's has been done.... typically the mesh is removed from the grill

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I don't think the TSB has been done on your car. The 97 and up radiator uses a different driver's side mount and it looks like you have the 96 mount. The TSB also replaces the a/c condensor, the 96 part has something like 24 fins per inch, newer condensors have around 19-20 per inch which allows more air to pass thru.

I changed only my condensor and have had no cooling problems since.

'96 Cobra

Cool Raul
Established Member
The part# on your radiator and hoses should start with a F7xx-xxxxx-xx I don't remember the rest but look for that.

50 Proof

Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
I know the 96's had a cooling issue, but how can you tell if it has been corrected or not? My old 96 had no cooling problems at all and I remember reading something about the black shroud on top of the radiator being larger than what it originally was from the factory. Here's a pic of a 96 engine bay in which I believe the TSB was done. Am I correct?

cobras015yt0.jpg

Yours hasn't been done, you have that extension to the left of your fan shroud. Look up pics of 97 Cobra engine bays. The cooling TSB removes that extension to the left of your fan shroud so that the fan shroud looks shorter. See, compare the differences with the fan shrouds

1engine.jpg

Last edited:

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
That isn't my car guys. Just a picture I found. I'm just trying to find out how to tell if it has been done so I know when I look at a potential purchase. Did every 96 have this problem, or was it just hit or miss?

My old car must have had it done because there is nothing up top on the left of the radiator.

picture019zj5.jpg

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
One of the big indicators that the TSB has been performed is the fan shroud. The honey comb grill was often deleted as well, but I believe it was possible to still leave the honey comb grill on. Every stock/factory original 96 Cobra has the same cooling system. The cooling system is only a real problem for states with hotter climates, such as California, Nevada, Arizona, etc. My temp shoots way up on my Mystic if I drive the car hard on a hot summer afternoon. For others where climates are typically cooler, it's not a big deal. The TSB will replace the a/c condensor to one that has less fins per inch so that more airflow can get to the radiator. The radiator and fan will also get replaced to the newer 97/98 style radiator and fan. The TSB is expensive. It'll cost over 1400 dollars to have it done. I'm considering getting all the parts and doing it myself.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:

cobras015yt0.jpg

Ahhhh, a 96 with the original battery heat shield/cover still in place. From what I have found, this item was not on all 1996 Cobra's, did any 97/98 Cobra's come with this cover/box over the battery? I am still trying to figure out if it was a production item for the early 96's only, or if it was added during the 96 model year and carried over to 97/98.

R

50 Proof

Established Member
My 96 Mystic has that battery cover. I bought my Mystic from the Original owner. I'm thinking it was a production item.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
50 Proof said:
My 96 Mystic has that battery cover. I bought my Mystic from the Original owner. I'm thinking it was a production item.

It definitly is a cover that came on the car from the Ford assy. line. I am just trying to figure out what cars it came on? I looked at 4 or 5 Mystics a couple of years ago. They all ranged from 785 original miles to 1900 original miles. All had no mods done, most had original batteries. Some had this cover, some did not. I did not document what their production dates were and it seems that the 97-up did not come with this cover, but I do not remember.

R

50 Proof

Established Member
Robert M said:
It definitly is a cover that came on the car from the Ford assy. line. I am just trying to figure out what cars it came on? I looked at 4 or 5 Mystics a couple of years ago. They all ranged from 785 original miles to 1900 original miles. All had no mods done, most had original batteries. Some had this cover, some did not. I did not document what their production dates were and it seems that the 97-up did not come with this cover, but I do not remember.

R

Perhaps Ford only had so many of these battery covers and used them through out the 96 Production year as much as availability permitted. Maybe this was a part intended for a different car (Mark VIII?) that accidently made its way into certain Cobras. Or maybe all 96's were supposed to have one but the ones that didn't come with one were Monday cars and the ones that did have one were Wednesday cars. Or maybe the cars that didn't have this battery cover were sitting on the lot for awhile (a showroom car not intended for sale in the near term) while the battery went dead. In that case, it could be possible the dealership replaced the battery and threw out the cover prior to the car being sold.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
50 Proof said:
Perhaps Ford only had so many of these battery covers and used them through out the 96 Production year as much as availability permitted. Maybe this was a part intended for a different car (Mark VIII?) that accidently made its way into certain Cobras. Or maybe all 96's were supposed to have one but the ones that didn't come with one were Monday cars and the ones that did have one were Wednesday cars. Or maybe the cars that didn't have this battery cover were sitting on the lot for awhile (a showroom car not intended for sale in the near term) while the battery went dead. In that case, it could be possible the dealership replaced the battery and threw out the cover prior to the car being sold.

In the end, Ford, or any of the auto manuf. don't install anything that is not needed, it costs them money. Maybe not that the $.50-$1.00 (Ford's cost) plastic battery shield alone is much, but times 10K, or 100K+ production number, they cut what is not needed. They have engineers that are assigned that job only, find ways to cut out what is not needed on a per car line basis. My guess is that when the 4.6L DOHC was being designed for the SN95 body, an engineer felt that the heat from the drivers side cyl. head would boil the battery, maybe even cause it to fail earlier than it's warranty, what is cheaper, a $.50 battery heat shield or a battery. Once these cars got out into the real world, they found this not to be a problem.........so the shields were deleted to save that extra $$$ per car.

R

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:

The Cooling upgrade is Article 96-25-12
The Cobra series kit is KIT-F6ZZ-8005-JA
If the upgrade has been done the radiator should have part# F7ZH-8005-BC
A/C Condenser F7ZH-19710-BC
Thermostat and hose assembly F7Z8A586-AB….These are just a few of the
Parts.
They basicly changed over to the 97 Cobra setup. Larger rad etc.

If not still covered under warranty the dealer will charge you over $900.00

One of the biggest factors of restricted airflow was the 96 A/C Condenser, the fins were designed to close together not allowing the airflow that the 97 and up condensers have.

Changing out the radiator makes a difference, but you still have the restricted airflow from the condenser!!

The dealer left my stock 96 radiator extension which covers the left of fan shroud…..So that’s not always an indicator!! Left my honeycomb shroud in too!

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
would this condensor fix the problem? I sdon't know if it would be better to just buy this condeser or just buy a fluidyne radiator which I have heard makes it run very cool. ($400).
Here
or
Here
or
Here

Last edited:

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
That isn't my car guys. Just a picture I found. I'm just trying to find out how to tell if it has been done so I know when I look at a potential purchase.
If You ever want some1 to take a look at a car your interested in with you shoot me a pm. Ill be in Ct after may 18th. Could show you my Cobre :beer:

50 Proof

Established Member
OCSnk said:
SinisterSTANG said:
The Cooling upgrade is Article 96-25-12
The Cobra series kit is KIT-F6ZZ-8005-JA
If the upgrade has been done the radiator should have part# F7ZH-8005-BC
A/C Condenser F7ZH-19710-BC
Thermostat and hose assembly F7Z8A586-AB….These are just a few of the
Parts.
They basicly changed over to the 97 Cobra setup. Larger rad etc.

http://www.scoa.org/legacy/tsb/96-25-12.htm

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/96-25-12.pdf

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
I just got off the phone with a Ford Dealer. This kit has been discontinued and is no longer offered by Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread