1998 Cobra tuning with a Predator

Ratchet27

Established Member
Hi guys.

I have a 1998 Cobra. Recently rebuilt the stock motor. Put some nice pistons, rods, etc in it. Bumped the compression a bit. Nothing real fancy as far as performance upgrades. Gears, exhaust, CIA. The normal stuff. I'm wanting to get a predator (I think). I've found a pretty decent deal on one but it was on a 02 GT. Will this predator make any difference without taking it somewhere to have it tuned? I'm 95 percent sure with would work with my car (part# U7146)

Any help would be awesome.

crazycarlo

Established Member
First off yest it is going to work on your car. However make sure and I cant stress this enough that the predator is unlocked. When you put a tune in a car using it, the handheld saves ur vin number so you cant tune multiple vehicles at the same time with it. In order to unlock it you have to reinstall the stock tune back into the car. Just make sure that's been done.

Now yes that will show a small gain on your car without a custom tune. Its going to change the fuel and timing a bit. I noticed a little more power and my car seemed to run smoother and better after I installed the performance tune.

Ratchet27

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be better off spending the monet and getting a custom tune? Or would this out of the box type deal be a better bang for the buck?

Ratchet27

Established Member
No detination. I just feel like the car should run a bit better. After some more research I'm thinking SCT Power Flash.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Dude don't even waste your time with a email tune. Get a custome tune. After all this money you have spent on a built motor and such, spend the little extra money and get the thing tuned the right way!!!

1989Gt.

Banned
Yeah custom tune would be great how are you injectors holding up? Think your over 310hp?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well if your going to get a custom tune your still either going to have to purchase a handheld or a chip so its up to you. Atleast with the handheld you can do more stuff with it.

Ratchet27

Established Member
Yeah custom tune would be great how are you injectors holding up? Think your over 310hp?

Hard to say really. Havent noticed any fuel type issues. Sometimes the car pulls great up top and then other times I feel like it isnt running correctly. Could be another issue. Have had grounding problems in the past. Might have to revisit that area.

Ratchet27

Established Member
Well if your going to get a custom tune your still either going to have to purchase a handheld or a chip so its up to you. Atleast with the handheld you can do more stuff with it.

I like the idea of the handheld. I've had chips before and never really liked them much.

1989Gt.

Banned
I like the idea of the handheld. I've had chips before and never really liked them much.

Ok i see just wondering cause im pretty much going through what your going through. But mines gonna be 10.8:1 So not to far off. Hows the mid range power

Ratchet27

Established Member
Ok i see just wondering cause im pretty much going through what your going through. But mines gonna be 10.8:1 So not to far off. Hows the mid range power

Its pretty good. The car runs well for just a daily driver type. Just have to keep myself from dumping a ton more money into it. I dont want to turn it into another want to be racecar. I have plenty of those. Not to mention the wife likes driving this one. Eventually is probably just going to become her car as I have a 91 351w turbo that I'm working on as well.

Users who are viewing this thread