2.0 EB limits? Max boost? Driveline? Tranny?

paynecasey

Established Member
I wondered how tough the ST will be. Will it be like the SHO that's tranny can't go passed 365 hp?

Looks like it might be 11 lbs of boost. How much can the block take. 16 lbs safe max?

Does it come with an intercooler?

Last edited:

- Aj -

Established Member
Right off the PTS website referring to the recent test of the Edge and Explorer:

“Ford has managed to pull an impressive 240 horsepower from the turbocharged inline four-cylinder at 5,500 rpm and an even headier 270 pound-feet of torque at a substantially lower 3,000 rpm.” – AutoBlog.com

“The engine itself is as sweet as honey: turbo lag is pretty much nonexistent, and the four whirs along in utter silence unless the driver is really deep into the throttle.” – Car & Driver

“The company has now placed a 2.0L, 4-cylinder powerplant into its rather sizable Ford Explorer. Crazy? You may think so, but I’ve just returned from testing this new combination, and I believe it to be one of the smartest moves the company has ever made.” – Auto123.com

Additional perks for customers who purchase Explorer or Edge with EcoBoost:

•Explorer has best-in-class 28 mpg highway with 40 percent more fuel efficiency than the outgoing model.
•Edge fuel-economy reaches 30 mpg Hwy, besting all SUVs its size or larger, in addition to cars such as the Honda Civic Si
•Impressive torque at 270 ft.-lb.
•Fast-acting turbochargers that provide seamless performance
•More money saved at the pump and the ability to get turbo gusto during daily commutes

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It is intercooled, but know one knows for sure what the upper power limit is going to be in a basically stock configuration.

Fuerza

Established Member
I was going to start a thread about this too, but you beat me too it.

I'm pretty interested in the Focus ST. If it can be purchased for less than $30k I'll be picking one up next summer.

paynecasey

Established Member
I'm Stuck between this and a 11+ Mustang V6.

Mustang being the better handler but ST being more family friendly, better mpg.

I wonder how bad the having a high horsepower front wheel drive will be. Handling is more important than straight line me.

How much boost will Ford allow over stock under warranty? Did Ford allow us to up the boost on other EB's or S/c's?

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
That's pretty hard too say. Any front wheel drive car will have torque steer issues with high HP. Quaife made the front LSD for the Euro Focus RS, but it seem with the new ST they are going with a Torque Vectoring system. I don't know much about it, other than reading articles online. Most I found are for AWD systems not FWD.

I agree it will be more family friendly, 4 doors are a must for me these days.

paynecasey

Established Member
I wonder if a RevoKnuckle suspension setup will be available in the aftermarket. And would the TVS (torque hectoring system) need to be reprogrammed?

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Wondering this myself and if there will be a tune for these engines. Range Rover just put a 2.0 Ecoboost in their new Evoque and it would be awesome to get that little thing up to 300-350 hp haha. Might help with towing.

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I just got me a the new Edge 2.0 Ecoboost and I love it. It a little monster. Very happy with it. I drove the 3.5L and no comparison. Way faster and the torque is excellent. I just replace the filter with K&N and plan to change oil soon to AMSOIL. Just for starts. I want a by pass valve and I will do it soon too. Let you guys know...

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I'd love to see what bolt ons, e85, tune, and a little more boost would do with one of these.

weebz69

Established Member
I'm picking my ST up tomorrow...I'm going to talk to my local shop and see what they can find out there....I agree 300-350 HP at the wheels would be sweet. That'd be great for ford racing to make some parts for the car and be able to keep warranty kinda like the srt4 and mopar did so I think anyway.....So there you go Ford Racing hear me now and make some parts for this lil tuner and let's get some good numbers for these ST's

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Picked up a 13 Fusion Titanium two weeks ago. AWD and the 2.0L EcoBoost.
Nobody has the calibration yet...but soon. However, I hooked up my Torque app to it the other day to take a peek. Commanded a/f is what you'd expect, but the surprising piece is the lack of spark. At WOT this thing sports a whoppin' 8-9*.

I'm thinking there's some fun to be had!

- Aj -

Established Member
Saw a shop has already tuned the 2.0 Focus ST and made some very good power, around 30fwtq/45fwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread