2, 2013 GT500s, total of 13,000 miles... Some thoughts

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I havnt been around much lately, as I'm extremely busy at work, and to be quite frank, many of you don't need my input anymore :)

BUT- now that I've had two of these cars, an 820A and an 821A, with varying options, both for over 6500 miles- I figured I'd provide an update.

For those confused
820A- base suspension, diff
821A- adjustable suspension, Torsen, etc.

1- I don't know if I break cars in correctly, am lucky, or a combo of the two. Neither car has given me any clutch issues. No rear end whine. And no other issues. *crosses fingers* :D. I gotta imagine some of this stuff, maybe even a good majority is user error.

2- I prefer the base suspension. I've really wavered on this one. It is way more fun to put the suspension in sport mode and throw the car into a ramp. But the roads up here suck. They're rutted, bumpy, and down right obnoxious. I think if I lived in a warm weather state- I'd be ok with it. But the 820A suspension is better for the local roads. Don't get me wrong, the 821A car in sport mode, handles much better. But sucks over bumps, and uneven roads.

3- I do miss the nav. I feel like the dash is much more "dated" and "rental-car-ish" without the nav, electronics pack. Is what it is. iPhone works fine!

4- shaker pro still sucks. I wish the car didnt have it. It's completely useless, muddy, and Un-tunable. If it wasnt for the "throwing money out the window with stereo mods" thing...I'd have upgraded it already.

5- stripes vs no stripes. Stripes get WAY more attention, photos on the road, questions at gas stations, and to be honest- I get more thumbs up from LEOs, than I did in the other car. But- everyone wants to race. As I mean everyone. :(

6- wheels. While I like the look of the 820A wheels better, and they're easier to clean. The "blacked out" look has grown on me. I've now tinted all the corner markers and windows, and I've got the "that thing looks mean" comments alot more often. Did I mention, the 821A wheels SUCK to clean?

7- Ford paint quality. While it was damn near perfect on my DIB car. Pretty unhappy with it on the SGM car. My passenger side door is a shade off. So is my rear bumper. Only noticeable in certain lights, its not horrible, and i know its a mustang. but its pretty obvious. Before you ask...I picked up the car with 3.8 miles on it...and it still had tape on it, in the showroom. So it's definately Ford. Not something after the fact. I went and looked at another SGM GT on a dealers lot. Same shit. Sigh.

8- open grille. I get it. More airflow. Looks mean. Keeps it cooler. That's cool and all. I need a new heat exchanger (intercooler, whatever, the lower one). It has two large dents in it. Ill be adding my own grille that doesn't look like shit like the one everyone's been ordering from custom car grilles (yup I ordered one too, was so frustrated I snapped it in half).

Over all. The car is just as awesome as my 1st one. So much so- I'm actually keeping this one for a lil bit (maybe another year)

Feel free to ask any comparison questions.

6ytatevu.jpg

NELCO

Established Member
Chris, As usual nice post. A grill is not going help you much from damaging your intercooler, diff cooler, radiator etc.. The 500's need all the cooling they can get. I have the 821A pack and my buddy has the 820A. I love mine and he wishes he had my package. That's my take.
Nelco

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
Nice read. I agree with much of it. My last two Fords had horrible factory paint jobs. No shading differences, but some orange peel for sure. I have the performance pack too, and on long trips on montana roads I feel like pissing blood. I am loving the base seats, but often finding myself wondering what the Recaros are like.....ignorance is bliss in my instance.

I love the racing stripes, but don't seem to gather much attention....perhaps because my car is white? The wife's charger gets compliments everywhere it goes. Very seldom in the Shelby.

NELCO

Established Member
Recaro's are AWESOME!!! Total different feel driving the car. Tried base seats and Recaro's. My DIB paint is flawless. I love the stripes, It is old school.
Nelco

reason4treason

Established Member
my thoughts are that your po-po are way cooler than our po-po

what i'd ask is what it was like for you as a Mustang loyalist for years and years and years the very first second you heard that there was going to be a 650+hp GT500? it seems like it did live up to your expectations.

that'd be like if they announced that the gen 6 GT500 is going to be 800hp

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
I dunno about the Recaros. They look sexier, but that's about it. They are comfortable enough, but need a little more padding. The high bolsters hold you in place very well, but are a hazard to your nads and are just plain in the way when exiting the vehicle.

The base seats are more comfortable, and the Alcantara inserts and modest bolsters hold you in place pretty well while not hazarding your nads or getting in the way when exiting the vehicle.

I've owned GT500s with both seats, and ordered the standard seats for my '14 with no regrets. The opinions given above are just that, my opinions. YMMV.

mullens

Established Member
Great post Chris. Yes we still need your input! I ordered mine with zero options for the reasons you cited. I love the base wheels, suspension and don't need the track pack. Had the Shaker 1000 on my '10 and wished I didn't. 50 more lbs of dead weight. The only thing I wavered on was the Recaros, but the base seats are great. 7500 trouble-free miles. Sure it has the odd noises and glitches, but overall the best car I've ever owned.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Regarding Sterling Grey, I noticed the same issue on a brand new 2012 GT500 that was at a local Ford dealer that year. It takes the right light color (full spectrum sunlight) but it's defiantly there. In the sunlight, the shade difference between the plastic parts (front an rear bumper) was noticeably different from the metal body. It was the first time I noticed the issue, but in the right light, I've noticed it on almost every SG car I've seen since. I attributed it to the color, as other colors do not have the issue to the same extent.

If you find a grill that doesn't take away from the unique 13-14 look, but still protects the heat exchangers and masks the bug guts, be sure to let us know.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
15k miles broke the car in responsibly and have prior experience with twin disc clutches. Went with the base/recaros as the only option being lod school I normally know where I am going so nav not needed plus got it on my phone the wife's phone. I went with the base to avoid a harsher everyday ride, this car has done all I have ever asked it to with the base trim. We love the car no issues except the leak on the front of the drivers side head sensor. And Chris your input was and is valued by me and others, you made the trip to ownership a better ride for me :) Idiocrosy will pop up ignore it.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
Regarding the paint issue, I've noticed the differing shades on metal vs. plastic on my wife's '10 Fusion Sport (metallic blue) and her Tangerine Scream '13 Focus ST. I never noticed it on my '11 SGM GT500.

It was really obvious on the Fusion on the fuel door. On the ST you see it on the door handles, side view mirrors and the rear spoiler. Pisses me off.

featurecar50

Established Member
Thanks Chris for the post, I also ordered a no option base model convertible. I also like the base wheels, I have back issues so the base seats works for me, and Im old school so not much for technology. I wanted the big V8 and no options, less weight and less to go wrong.

svt662

Established Member
Thanks Chris for the post, I also ordered a no option base model convertible. I also like the base wheels, I have back issues so the base seats works for me, and Im old school so not much for technology. I wanted the big V8 and no options, less weight and less to go wrong.
+1 Convertible no options just BIG POWER for me. :burnout:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
my thoughts are that your po-po are way cooler than our po-po

what i'd ask is what it was like for you as a Mustang loyalist for years and years and years the very first second you heard that there was going to be a 650+hp GT500? it seems like it did live up to your expectations.

that'd be like if they announced that the gen 6 GT500 is going to be 800hp

Yes. I've owned a cobra from every generation (cept for the fox, but have driven many). And it's lived up to the hype. All of the hype

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I have a SGM car and I'll have to agree on the paint quality. While I haven't noticed any shade variations, the application/quality on the spray job leaves much to be desired in my opinion.

I have a shade over 200 miles on my car. The most action it sees is being pulled out if the garage and getting washed on Sunday. I have not noticed or heard any rocks or debris hitting the front of my car, yet I have developed two deep chips on the hood that go through the entire clear/paint application straight to the hood. The paint appears to be as thick as a strand of hair and not much more. I can only imagine what the under side of my rockers look like.

The stripe application is of the same subpar quality as well. There are several small bubbles throughout the stripes, some on the trunk deck, hood, and roof. None of which were visible upon inspection/delivery in late June.

I had hoped to survive the summer so I could get a clear bra applied before winter storage but I now have to correct these chips and bubbles before the bra/vinyl gets applied.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Have you noticed a difference between normal suspension mode on the 821A and the base 820A?

5.0 guy

Established Member
Your posts are always appreciated Chris, you're a great addition to the forums. Your thread about the values if the Shelbys and Raptor lead me to buying my Raptor also! (Great ride!!) I do love the Recaros and fortunately haven't seen any flaws in by blk/ blk stripe vert so far. The weather is changing rapidly here in Volorado so looks like I won't get much more then the 506 miles I've logged since Nov3,2013. Your palm to face comments always make me laugh! Better get your did a seatbelt from your other thread! Lol

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Your posts are always appreciated Chris, you're a great addition to the forums. Your thread about the values if the Shelbys and Raptor lead me to buying my Raptor also! (Great ride!!) I do love the Recaros and fortunately haven't seen any flaws in by blk/ blk stripe vert so far. The weather is changing rapidly here in Volorado so looks like I won't get much more then the 506 miles I've logged since Nov3,2013. Your palm to face comments always make me laugh! Better get your did a seatbelt from your other thread! Lol

Thanks man. Might be getting a company car soon, instead of owning a car that my company pays for. If that's the case, ill also have a raptor!

As for recaros. I honestly don't think ill ever be able to own a performance car without them again!

Users who are viewing this thread