2.9 Whipple + 5.3 MMR Stroker Dyno Numbers

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Wow man that's horrible to hear,

I was working my way down the thread to conradulate you on sick numbers and a freaking impressive build only to read something went wrong after all that time of being down.

nooner

Established Member
Wow! There seems to be a lot of engines running the 2.9 that are breaking lately. It's making me nervous since mine should be done in a few weeks. Hope you are able to figure it out and get it back on the road soon. Keep us updated.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
ok guys well we were going over the car and heres what happened.

Originally i was worried about having a bad tune, i contacted my tuner and he said that the possibility of the car running lean was slim, he mentioned that he left plenty of room in tune to compensate for anything, it wasnt running on the edge. Whether he was worrying about covering his ass or not, the guy does good work so i called MMR and spoke with them. They said that based on what i told them about the car that it must be a tuning issue, that the car ran lean. They did make sure to say that they will work with me and help me out as much as they can and if the motor needed to get sent over they could help out with the cost.

Heres what happened when i was driving it:

Headed back from a friends house, did a nice full 3rd gear pull, car felt great, no hesitation, drove it the rest of the way home, dropped my friend off, and as soon as i pull into the driveway the car sputters and dies right in the driveway. Im wondering, did i let the clutch out or something and just jumped it...no way...i try to start it again and the car is idling horribly, sputtering and trying to stay on for about 10 seconds till it finally shuts off. At this point i pop the hood, i have fuel pressure, my pumps are running, no fuel leaks, nothing out of the ordinary from visual inspection. Well it was late so i waited till morning to inspect the car again.

Morning...Start the car, and it still idles like shit with a bad ticking sound, ughh ohh, ive heard this noise before, drive it about 100 yards and the car dies, turn it over again and boy, it sounds like serious metal clanking and smacking, shut it off and pushed it home.

Heres what we have seen on the car:

we pulled the plugs and they looked perfect, we did a compression test and found that #2 piston has zero compression, literally, 0 compression.

all other cylinders are in a good range.

We have decided to start pulling the motor, just before we are about to take it out, we decide to pull a valve cover and check it out, sure enough check out the culprit!!

BrokenValveSpring04Cobra.jpg

son of a bitch...

looks like a part failure to me

well i'm gonna pick up a boroscope and today and check out the pistons and make sure they aren't burnt up, also i will talk to Mark at MMR today, he seems to be a manager or an owner, not sure.

I will keep the thread updated

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
WOW man!! I hope that you got lucky and didn't mess up the bottom end!!! :eek: Not to mention if MMR built the Heads and stuff that's going to be on them to fix it!!

crazycarlo

Established Member
well best case scenario its just the spring, everything else is in tip top shape and your back on your way before you know it :) Good luck and deff keep us updated. Awesome car and numbers man.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Good god... I need a 2.9L :( Those are awesome numbers man congrats!!

they were great numbers haha, i was surprised at the power level

Spin that thing to the moon and see what it will really do! Very nice setup & numbers.

18lbs will be next, when i get another car to beat on, ill push it to 22-23 psi on 110

Nice number's.I have a MMR 1500 with ported heads Long tubes and whipple 3.4 crusher inlet my torque at 4500 rpm was 640 and my trans broke on the dyno.I just ordered a viper t-56 should be on in a week or so i,am hoping for 800hp.

damn that is a sick combination, get that new t-56 and post the numbers up

pretty impressive! congrats man.

thanks

dual walbro gss42's may not be up the the job of 18# you may want to upgrade to a 3rd. great numbers for the boost. im excited to see what it spits out with 18#

i guess we'll find out, im pretty sure they can handle the duty cycle for 18psi, at these levels, the whipple is well into its efficiency range.

no offense, but maybe ask your tuner to give you a dyno sheet with the "filter" value of 5-9 on the sheet, i have never seen anyone ever use "99" and still have an a/f chart that wonky...you will see that the "tune" maybe the issue here, sorry to here man.

dont know much about stuff like that, i need to start tuning my own car so i can do my build from beginning to end, i hate having knowing im putting the life of my car and possible myself in the hands of someone else, especially since i put so much into my car.

Damn. Hopefully everything is allright. I was pumped up with your mod list. Sick car.

yeah i was pumped too...

sweet numbers. that sucks big time something went wrong already? i have a buddy with a KB 2.8 that just popped his motor but he was on stock block and everything.where abouts are you in FL?

south florida, broward area
has the exhaust sound changed at all with the bigger motor and heads and cams?

the exhaust sounds perfect, those cams thump at just the right frequency, sounds like a bass drum beating fast, nice lope and great drivability, i am very impressed with the MMR motor, of course this set back sucks, but shit happens, so far MMR's customer service has been top notch, very helpful and willing to help me out regardless of the cause.

Wow man that's horrible to hear,

I was working my way down the thread to conradulate you on sick numbers and a freaking impressive build only to read something went wrong after all that time of being down.

yeah hopefully its a simple fix and i can be back on the road soon i've been waiting to long for my car.

Wow! There seems to be a lot of engines running the 2.9 that are breaking lately. It's making me nervous since mine should be done in a few weeks. Hope you are able to figure it out and get it back on the road soon. Keep us updated.

dont think it had anything to do with the blower, just looks like a bad valve spring, i wouldnt be nervous, if anything, that 2.9 produced some great power at low boost, dont forget, i made 660 to the tire, that allot of power, it wont take much if i had a defected valve spring.

WOW man!! I hope that you got lucky and didn't mess up the bottom end!!! :eek: Not to mention if MMR built the Heads and stuff that's going to be on them to fix it!!

yeah i'm hoping the same thing, if its just a valve spring, no biggie, but i hope its not all the valve springs, hopefully not a bad batch or anything.

well best case scenario its just the spring, everything else is in tip top shape and your back on your way before you know it :) Good luck and deff keep us updated. Awesome car and numbers man.

Yeah that would be best case, but while its down i'm going to go over this motor and make sure one part failure didn't cause another, which in some cases is usually what happens.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, i will have the beast back up and running soon and ill have some updates for ya with what MMR has to say and what we are going to do to fix it. :beer:

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
just spoke with MMR, they said pull the motor and ship it to california, they will cover it all and replace all of the valve springs and go over the motor and check for everything, bent valves, damaged pistons etc. Sucks that the car is going to be down for a few weeks, but im happy that MMR is standing behind their product and doing what s right here. Ill yank the motor today and build a crate for it, ill post up when the motor is sent back, expect a good delay in this thread guys...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn that's awesome of MMR to cover everything!!! Would they cover a R&R cost of a shop pulling the motor??

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Damn that's awesome of MMR to cover everything!!! Would they cover a R&R cost of a shop pulling the motor??

well we are pulling the motor out of the car at home, so im not sure how their policy would work on covering the cost to pull the motor at a local shop or something, my guess is they would take care of anything for you within reason, all i ask is for fairness, so far MMR is doing it right.

89slowgt331

Established Member
Wow, as I read I was going to post a guess of valvetrain noise and suggest to do a leakdown, good luck, hopefully mmr covers your frieght bill there and back also, I was always picky about valve train after I had a set of AFR's fall apart and destroy a short block in my old foxbody, It's nice to have PAC spring 2 hours south of me.

mach1033

Established Member
Sorry to read about your issues man. At least MMR is standing behind there work. I blew my motor with the 2.9 back in April I think I was the first one to do it lol. I was running 23.5lbs of boost and the blower didnt make that much noise at that boost level either. Sick numbers though. I'm getting my motor built to handle anything I want to throw at it. Looking forward to your numbers when you get it back.

whiskuz

Established Member
Idle???

Wow, what a pain in the ass. That sucks. I have a 98 Cobra and I have the exact same shortblock on it's way from MMR right now with all the same options, the same headers and x-pipe, Borla XR-1s with stock 96-98 heads ported and polished, however. I have a set of stage 3 comp cams for nitrous or blower application that came with the car (I bought it 3 months ago), but I am considering buying the MMR cams you have. Can you tell me how rough the idle is?

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
did you have to compress the valve spring to get it off , or was the valve dropped ?

sucks man i feel your pain !

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Had the same failure with a comp cams valve spring. But the valve dropped and got chewed up in my driveway. Glad to see they are taking care of you though. I wonder if they use comp cam springs also..

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Update

Ok its been a while since this thread has had an update, but i want to bring this thing back from the dead. I received the MMR motor back without paying a single dime earlier this year but have had no time until recently to get back to work on it, they footed the bill all the way to and from by the way. The motor needed a new piston after the valve spring let go, the loud clanking i was hearing was the top of my piston getting smacked repeatedly. They also replaced all of my valve springs with Manley springs instead of the comp springs, other than that, the motor was in perfect condition.

After receiving the motor back i went ahead and sent my transmission off to get rebuilt. I chose Pro Motion Performance in Ft. Lauderdale because they came highly recommended for their work. I spoke with Wally and he took care of the rebuild. I chose to have them cryo the gears as well. They dip the gears and accessories in liquid nitrogen to strengthen the metals, all in all its a pretty cool process that i cannot come close to explaining properly. This rebuild was necessary, the original T56 was already whining and protesting during shifts and with the power levels im at, it wasn't gonna make it long. (plus the spec 3 is a hard hitting clutch)

SO...now the car is put back together and running like a clock, i loaded the most recent tune in the car, so far, everything is running smooth, the PMP transmission shifts like butter, it glides into each gear with little effort, very impressive with the quality of workmanship so far. I plan to post more results as the car has more miles on it. I data logged some runs and all parameters are in safe ranges. As of yesterday, the "new" new motor has 500 soft break in miles on it and running great. I did a couple of short pulls today and the car feels great and wont stop pulling. :)

Quick question for you guys, i have the MMR race oil pan, you can see the picture of it in my other build thread, i was told 12 quarts at one time by MMR, and i recently called to verify and i was told 9-10 quarts. So, anyone know whats the good number? it has 9 quarts in it currently and the dipstick is still showing full (its an after market flexible dipstick for the ford modular motor). Im gonna start with 6 and go up from there tomorrow when i change the oil again.

There will be pics and a video soon, she is very dirty right now and needs a good bath, also i picked up a nail in the passenger rear drag radial, the 555r's in the rear were bald anyway and i got a set of NT05R drag radials on order from discount tire. Im also waiting for my JLT catch can and Hilton boost overlay gauge to get in.

The next thing will be back to the dyno for a checkup and a retune, the 3.0 inch whipple pulley is waiting for her at the shop, so the next numbers will be at 18-19 PSI. Really shooting for the 700 club for both HP and torque on 93 pump while still under 20 PSI.

By Christmas i hope to have the FD Series Interceptor Dual Gauges and the Autometer Dual Gauge Instrument Bezel to keep things i check. (wink...wink dad, i know your on here lol)

Thanks for your patience with this thread and thanks again for the earlier comments. I gotta be honest, after having to pull that motor again and drop more and more money in it, i lost my drive to get it going again, i delayed and delayed but its back and very happy so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread