2000 cobra r engine

Fourcam330

Established Member
I am looking at building a 5.4L 4v engine. I perfer it to be cheap and produce the same numbers that the 00 R did. I am having problems finding some of the parts. Is there some sights that i don't know about? Also is the ford gt 5.4L block the same as the 00 R except it is aluminum instead of cast iron? How about the heads? Any other help would also be greatly accepted. I am looking at putting it in a 98 gt. I am also wanting to turbo the car. Any idea how well the engines do with boost? I am also very surprised at the low these engine's compression ratio's are compared to other sport cars.

I agree, but he said in the first post that he was just looking for something around the same numbers as a '00R. If he would have said that he wanted to build a '00R 5.4L replica and get as much power out of it as possible then I wouldn't ever have suggested the 5.0L:poke::p

:-D:beer:

Not to drag this out, but reread what he posted. He stated that he wants a 5.4L 4v that produces around the same power as a '00R motor. :poke::beer::p

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Sounds like a job for Boss 330 to me.
The 00"R" motor was relatively low compression. (9.5 I think)
A 5.4 32V can be installed into an SN95 or new edge.
With factory parts, no less.
I am currently making LT headers to fit them. (With "C" or 03-04 heads, not "R" heads)
Also, doing 2nd design upper intake.
A comprehensive kit is nearing completion.

stealth03cobra

Established Member
so birdman what do you think i should do? How much am i looking at? how many fab parts am i looking at? I am also looking at rebuilding a 93 foxbody, it has the 5.0 with 60k original miles. has elderbrock heads, long tube headers, nitrous, msd ignition with 6box, i was looking at putting a 460 in it but having trouble finding a 460 block cheap. I have found a few but is all the 460 blocks the same? even if they are 2 or 4 bolt mains? and 4v heads for those? I don't know everything, i am just trying to get information before i got and spend 20k+ in parts.

Fourcam330

Established Member
so birdman what do you think i should do? How much am i looking at? how many fab parts am i looking at? I am also looking at rebuilding a 93 foxbody, it has the 5.0 with 60k original miles. has elderbrock heads, long tube headers, nitrous, msd ignition with 6box, i was looking at putting a 460 in it but having trouble finding a 460 block cheap. I have found a few but is all the 460 blocks the same? even if they are 2 or 4 bolt mains? and 4v heads for those? I don't know everything, i am just trying to get information before i got and spend 20k+ in parts.

Wait for Steve's (Birdman's) kit. His work is top notch, you won't be disappointed. :beer:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
The 5.4 32V won't fit a fox without major strut tower surgery.
SN 95 and new edge, no problems.
I spent ALL WEEKEND measuring and designing LT's for the swap,
and the 2nd generation intake.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Sorry, my bad.
A 5.4 32V into an SN95 is easy.
Expensive but easy.
If you want torque, gotta go with the Aussie Boss intake.

ROWNER8

Established Member
karkraft sucks i spent $500 dollars on their alt relocation kit and all the required things to relocate the alt on my 99 cobra, i called asked if it would fit they said it would. i get it and not only did it not fit my car, but the bracket wouldn't clear the power steering and brake lines, It took me 3 and a half weeks to re engineer the kit. and after my phone call they put up a disclaimer saying it would not fit, Great thanks guys. i also had to buy about 150 dollars in other stuff that they did not mention. So overall i would never do business with them again.

we apologize for your installation issues. your question was "does it fit a cobra engine?" the answer is yes. you never said you were putting it in a Mustang. we would gladly refund your purchase if there is a problem. thanks

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
your question was "does it fit a cobra engine?" the answer is yes. you never said you were putting it in a Mustang.

:lol::lol:

You market primarily to mustang owners and thats your excuse for it not fitting??? He never said he was putting it in a mustang? Thats some :bs:

5pointHo

Established Member
we apologize for your installation issues. your question was "does it fit a cobra engine?" the answer is yes. you never said you were putting it in a Mustang. we would gladly refund your purchase if there is a problem. thanks

wowwww .. thats some shady shit. :nonono:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
To the OP, Is this what you're looking for?
I have some ready to ship.
I will post a newer engine pic tomorrow.
IMG_1427.gif

IMG_1459.gif

th_MVI_1266.gif

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Interesting. So, if someone buys this part they are to assume the bracket will work on the motor. However, it won't fit in a Mustang chassis? :rollseyes What else did the Cobra engine come in?

Tom

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
New engine pic as promised.
Now has new final design upper intake, but still deciding on EGR.
Also waiting for shipment from Australia for Boss intake plaque for the lid.
Should I run EGR?
What do you guys think?
This is how the kit install will appear when finished.
(My camera is acting up today for some reason)

IMG_1503.gif

IMG_1505.gif

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Hi Steve,

Just sent you a PM regarding a set of long tubes for a 00R..I purchased all of the components in stainless from spd including individual flanges and slip-on collectors, but my guy backed out...can you fab up a set less the flanges and collectors out of 17/8 stainless?

thanks in advance

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Replied to your PM.
The best thing I can say, is to modify a set of Mach 1 headers
that has the driver side tubes with 2 on the outside of the steering shaft,
and 2 on the engine side of the shaft.
That can be used as a template.
I know the manifold bolt pttern is different between the 2.

Users who are viewing this thread