2003 cobra- quick question before purchase

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, that is true to an extent, but stock/near stock Terminators continue to show up for sale. A lot of original owners kept them stock/near stock (believe it or not, LOL) and now that the car is aging are putting them up for sale. The key is verifying that they indeed have always been stock/near stock. I just wouldn't call them the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail to me would be a stock Cobra with less than 15K miles on it. JMO though. :)

I agree, seem to find near stock cobras quite often lately. Of course a person would have to really look into it and verify it hasn't been modded.

OP: if your very interested in the car, have a reputable shop do a leakdown and compression test and check it over very well. That will help you be at ease and confident on purchase.

Last edited:

ras50gt

Established Member
I left a voicemail letting the seller know that I would like to see the car again. I want to figure out where that smoke could have been coming from. I may try to have a mechanic come with me.

I kinda talked price with the seller, I told him that my price range is 17.5k. Hes asking 19k/obo. He said he can go 18k.

Obviously I wont do anything because of the smoke thing. But it does seem like a good deal. The cobra has 39k miles on it, bassani heads and x pipe with cats, slotted rotors all around, fr 500 wheels, HR springs, HIDs, etc. Has a really crappy aftermarket head unit and no spare tire. The mystery smoke that never repeated itself.

Theres a few other cobras near by, one with 97k miles for $16.9k all stock minus chrome cobra r wheels, one with 85k miles with navigation and exhaust for $15k. Another one asking $20k with 62k miles, no mods just aftermarket wheels and lowering springs. Another asking $21k with 68k miles. The closest one is a 10th anni with 46k miles, cobra r wheels for $18k but it has large scratches on fender

Last edited:

89slowgt331

Established Member
I agree, seem to find near stock cobras quite often lately. Of course a person would have to really look into it and verify it hasn't been modded.

OP: if your very interested in the car, have a reputable shop do a leakdown and compression test and check it over very well. That will help you be at ease and confident on purchase.

X2, if it passes the comp and leakdown, go for it

97StangSVT

Established Member
Yes, that is true to an extent, but stock/near stock Terminators continue to show up for sale. A lot of original owners kept them stock/near stock (believe it or not, LOL) and now that the car is aging are putting them up for sale. The key is verifying that they indeed have always been stock/near stock. I just wouldn't call them the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail to me would be a stock Cobra with less than 15K miles on it. JMO though. :)

I just bought my silver 04 last week. Had 6,700 miles on it when I bought it. I checked it over really well before I bought it and everything seemed to check out. Bone stock! Holy Grail! :beer:

I don't plan on doing anything to it, I am just going to leave it the way it is. It is perfect IMO. :rockon:

big dad

Established Member

Cobra Bob= I must own the holy grail you talk about. Mine has 1976 miles on it.

Jazzml

Established Member
Just be patient it took me 3 months to find a nice cobra bone stock and i found a holy grail with only 11k miles. Im also located in San Jose. Drove to fairfield to get it. Just be patient and weight out your options.

ras50gt

Established Member
Jazzml: about how much did you pay for your cobra?

I saw a 03 the other day with 18k miles, guy asking $22k for it. All stock except shifter and midpipe and catback.

I kno its nice to find a stock cobra but at the same time the cobra im currently looking at has headers and lowering springs, two things that can be a pain to install. Looks like I can get it for around 18k which is where I wanted to be around price wise.

Or maybe I should just wait it out....

2003svtredfire

Established Member
Jazzml: about how much did you pay for your cobra?

I saw a 03 the other day with 18k miles, guy asking $22k for it. All stock except shifter and midpipe and catback.

I kno its nice to find a stock cobra but at the same time the cobra im currently looking at has headers and lowering springs, two things that can be a pain to install. Looks like I can get it for around 18k which is where I wanted to be around price wise.

Or maybe I should just wait it out....

In my opinion, keep looking around. I bought my 03 redfire vert 2-years ago for 19k including tax, title and license on a dealer lot at the end of october. The previous owner was an elderly man and the car only had a magnaflow catback and a bbk intake, everything else was bone stock. the car had 38k on the odometer. It now has 41k.

ras50gt

Established Member
So I waited it out, seller called me... says he will go 17.5. What you guys think? Compared to other cobras around the bay area, its a pretty good deal. Been thinking about waiting but I dont know how hard it will be in lets say a year from now to find a good cobra, plus if something changes financially by then.

Users who are viewing this thread