2010's Place in history?

spincobra03

Established Member
I am on the verge of buying my 2010 GT500 and I was just thinking of what the future is for this years model? There reason I ask is simply the 07-09's were what they were. The 2010 has a new look, and has many nice upgrades. And mainly because it would appear that this will be the one and only year for this style GT500. With the 2011 GT500 looking like its going to have an aluminum block, I thought it would be an interesting topic to see what people think on the 2010's place in mustang history. Good, bad, or indifferent????? My feeling is the 2010 could be worth some money way down the line, reason being its the one and only year in that style with very limited production. And with the way the world is going green, who knows where high horsepower cars will be 20 30 years from now. Just a thought. Opinions???

mullens

Established Member
I bought my 2010 because of the new look and upgrades you speak of. I really don't think Ford is going to redesign or make major changes to a model year they just spent all the money retooling for. Ford just spent a ton of money in the new base Mustang V6, Coyote 5.0 and 6.7 Powerstroke, so I think they'll wait on any major changes to the GT500. There has been a lot of conjecture about the 11's, but that's all it is. A dealer told me it would have 625hp, which turned out to be BS. I really think it will be a 2010 with some minor changes, and MAYBE an aluminum block , which in my opinion is not worth waiting for. IMO the 2010's will go the same route as the 07-09, and depreciate accordingly.

I say go for it. They're out there way under MSRP.

Last edited:

spincobra03

Established Member
I bought my 2010 because of the new look and upgrades you speak of. I really don't think Ford is going to redesign or make major changes to a model year they just spent all the money retooling for. Ford just spent a ton of money in the new base Mustang V6, Coyote 5.0 and 6.7 Powerstroke, so I think they'll wait on any major changes to the GT500. There has been a lot of conjecture about the 11's, but that's all it is. A dealer told me it would have 625hp, which turned out to be BS. I really think it will be a 2010 with some minor changes, and MAYBE an aluminum block , which in my opinion is not worth waiting for. IMO the 2010's will go the same route as the 07-09, and depreciate accordingly.

I say go for it. They're out there way under MSRP.

True, the deals are out there. I have two deals on the table both at 47,500 right now. Just waiting for one of the dealers to blink

I think your probably right about the car depricating as the 07-09's but its interesting to think what the 2011 will bring. If the body style is different or they go with an aluminum block and its not a huge hit, I wonder then what the 2010 will go down as?

snakecharmer

Established Member
There's always going to be something better coming, and collectablity is a crap shoot at best. Cars are a horrible investment, so buy it because you like it, not because you think it will hold a special place in history. I bought my 09 because I can't stand the looks of the 2010s, even though the 2010s has a much improved interior and several features like Sync that I would love to have had. The 2011s look to have even more improvements, but there will no doubt be even more improvements to come, and each year will always have its own special place.

cbr1000

Established Member
Who knows... it depends on how long the modern gt500 is made, right now the most collectible is the KR then the '07 500 since it was the first of the modern gt500 imo. The only thing the '10 has going for it is that I believe it will have a little lower production number since the financial world went to crap...other than that it's just another gt500.

NewFrance6

Established Member
I bought a 2010 because of the new interior and design.
Realistically, the 2010 will actually be worth less than the other years imo because it will be the one year with the heavy iron block in the new generation style. It may depreciate faster as a consequence. Look at the 2004 GTO and the 2001 Z06 as a reference.

mullens

Established Member
I bought a 2010 because of the new interior and design.
Realistically, the 2010 will actually be worth less than the other years imo because it will be the one year with the heavy iron block in the new generation style. It may depreciate faster as a consequence. Look at the 2004 GTO and the 2001 Z06 as a reference.
Interesting angle, but I really doubt the '10's will depreciate any faster than other years. It's still a GT500, and it doesn't look like a Cavalier like the 04 goat.

dom418

Established Member
The current GT500 never touches Shelby's hands so IMO it will be worth no more/less than any other Cobra. Lets face it, this is an SVT Cobra with a Shelby name. The KR or Super Snake are a different story and probably will be worth a lot more. Now this doesn't take away from how bad ass the GT500 is, whether they are an 07-09 or 10' or up. If the GT500 is worth something down the road then it will not be because people are after a true Shelby that is rare, but a superb muscle car. In any case no car is a sure investment unless you can afford to buy a super low production car and put it in a bubble for 40 years, like the Cobra R. Buy the 2010 if you like it and just enjoy it, that is it.

rdsnk46

Established Member
2010...bastard year! Now on the other hand 2008 will end up being the best run! LOL JK!

spincobra03

Established Member
Ya your all probably right, im by no means sitting here thinking the 2010 will be worth anything more than any of the other year shelbys. I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about. Either way, im excited about the car.

Red10thcv

Established Member
My opinion is you buy the car to DRIVE and not for investment. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Every year is going to be just alittle bit better than the last or why would you buy a more expensive car with less performance?
Buy what you like and mod it if you want. :rockon:
Just my 2 cents which is only worth 1 cent in today's market.

About 10 years ago, I was at a carshow and Carrol Shelby was looking at a beautiful restored BOSS 302.
He asked the owner "How does it drive?" The owner replied that he was going to just trailer the car.
As CS was walking away I could hear him say "What a waste."

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
My opinion is you buy the car to DRIVE and not for investment. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Every year is going to be just alittle bit better than the last or why would you buy a more expensive car with less performance?

About 10 years ago, I was at a carshow and Carrol Shelby was looking at a beautiful restored BOSS 302.
He asked the owner "How does it drive?" The owner replied that he was going to just trailer the car.

hahah

You made that story up I bet though :dw:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Ditched the 08' for a 2010 because we wanted to ruin another brand new car. :D:D

The 2010 looks better as well. :rockon:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

+1......drive it...you never know..aliens can come down and
take all our toys....LMAO!

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Ditched the 08' for a 2010 because we wanted to ruin another brand new car. :D:D

The 2010 looks better as well. :rockon:

Hell yeah! It's just a MASS PRODUCED MUSTANG! Nothing less, nothing more, just a Mustang. Granted, I love my Mustangs, but lets not think it's something it's not. Just beat the hell out of the car and keep it as long as you like :beer:

drmustang

Banned
Anyone who is considering owning a 2010 performance vehicle for the next 30 years hoping for a handsome return on their "investment" is going to be in for a huge disappointment. Our current top dog performance cars then will have a value similar to that of a Smith Corona type writer today when composite structured, electric powered sports vehicles with sport bike acceleration capabilities are commonplace. The electronics revolution is still in its infancy as technological barriers fall at an astonishing rate. The cars we drive today will be a joke when compared with those available in 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread