2011 GT500 & Traction how too?

2011_Shelby500

Established Member
How can I improve the traction on the new GT500? It has so much power but the back end seems to wana kick out every time I try to lay it down?

I put my tune on, and exhaust but I am waiting on the pulley since as is, its hard enough to keep it stuck to the ground. Im thinken of replace the rear rims and tires with more drag / street slick radials? is this the only choice?

Mods ? adjustments? Traction Control options?

any suggestions will help and are welcome

ShakeNBake

Established Member
How can I improve the traction on the new GT500? It has so much power but the back end seems to wana kick out every time I try to lay it down?

I put my tune on, and exhaust but I am waiting on the pulley since as is, its hard enough to keep it stuck to the ground. Im thinken of replace the rear rims and tires with more drag / street slick radials? is this the only choice?

Mods ? adjustments? Traction Control options?

any suggestions will help and are welcome

Tap the tracion button twice see if that helps. if not throw on a set of 305 Mickey ET Streets on the rear and call it a day.

jimh

Established Member
Control Arms, lowering brackets, tires.

Let me rephrase that:
Tires, control arms, lowering brackets

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
Big smokey burnout to get the tires and ice and sticky.

Seriously though, these are race spec tires and are hard as hockey pucks when cold. They need to be warmed up in order to hook up all 550hp in the lower gears. I was getting 1.9 second 60 foots my first time out at the track and that was from doing a short three second 2nd gear burn out and leaving all the traction control off (hold button for 8 seconds when stopped). If I had any other combo it would spin hard when shifting into 2nd gear quickly.

So go out and get the tires nice and hot before you ask them to hook up 550hp. If that is not good enough then you could pick up a set of affordable 15-17" Racestars for the rear and put on some drag radials, or send of your stock rears to Weldcraft to get widened and wrapped with wide meats, or get aftermarket rims like CCW's or True Forged that are wide enough (11") for big meats that you can drive around on every day.

There really isn't a that you can just slap on your stock rims and get awesome traction with.

Last edited:

2011_Shelby500

Established Member
Thx guys, tires is what I was thinken once I need to replace them im gunna look into someones for better grip, but ur right the cold doesnt help and it hasnt been too warm where I am yet.

AlCaPwn

Established Member
I like my Nt555 Nitto tires ( the street version, not the 555R Drs ) on my 09 2.6 pullied GT500. They are a good all around tire and do well on the street for a non DR. I have been driving too much to stay in DRs.

AlCaPwn

Established Member
I use Discount Tire Direct. Great deals and free shipping. Dunno about in Canada though. I use Nt555 on stock 18s for everyday and I plan on getting a different wheel set and trying out some NT05R DRs for street play. I kinda wanna see what all I can get out of 18s before going big with the skinnies and 15s. I was using Nitto 555Rs for everyday and they were great for pretty much everything but don't last long for as much as I drive. They are good for a nice balance between street radials and hardcore DRs. You kinda just have to figure out what you are using the car for. Do you think you will do any track action? Street racing from a dig? Or you just want to hook up as much as you can in everyday driving? If you had two sets of wheels/tires, would you actually use them? Answer those questions as honestly as you can to yourself (I talk myself into and out of unrealistic stuff all of the time lol) and you will be well on your way to finding the right application for you and it will help everyone give you the best suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread