2011 totally stock 1/4 run, 2nd shift problem

slynch68

Established Member
Hey guys took my 2011 to the track for the first time with stock Goodyear F1's.
Car has the $200 JLT Carbon Intake that the PO put on and thats it. Non SVTPP with 3.31 gears.

Ran 4 times to get some practice with clutch engagement and used to the power. All 4 times I had 2nd gear engagement issues. No water box and no powershifting as I didn't want to put excessive wear on tires and clutch. On the last run I even short shifted at 5500rpm to see if it would engage fast but no dice. I read the 1-2 shift problem with our cars and a MGW is getting ordered as soon as possible.

Keep in mind this was in Hattiesburg, MS with lotsa humidity and roughly 95 degrees out.

Best run was a 13.06 at 113mph with a .7898 reaction and a 2.13 60'.
Was able to cut my 60' to 2.001 on my last run with a .6754 reaction but this run was when i short shifted so I only mustered a 13.2 at 111mph.

Honestly I was a little disappointed as I didn't crack 12's with the car but with stock F1's and hot weather i don't have a whole lot to complain about.

I'll have DR's, pulley,xpipe, and tune by the next time I go out. I think I'll be able to drop a second and a half to the mid or low elevens. Already set on Racestars but any suggestions on tires? Thanks

BOD89LX

Established Member
If your car is still under warranty get the trans fixed before you do the mods, also try shifting at 5000 or a little lower.

niceguyyy01

Established Member
I have the same problem with my 2011. I even tried quick shifting at like 4000 rpm and it still grinds. I'm am going to try the MGW and see if that remedies it.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I have the same problem with my 2011. I even tried quick shifting at like 4000 rpm and it still grinds. I'm am going to try the MGW and see if that remedies it.

It won't, even MGW has officially said if you have 'the grind' the shifter won't remedy it. Although I can attest, it's a wonderful shifter.

BigDan

Established Member
The MGW cured my 1-2 grind. I'm even hesitant to take it in for the TSB because members are still reporting grind and lock out on 1-2 after all the new parts.

slynch68

Established Member
Traction control was on.

I don't think mine is as bad as some others. I've shifted into 2nd on the street at 6k and went in fine but the track gods weren't on my side. I'm going to get the MGW anyways as I don't like the clunkiness of the factory shifter in the other gears.

Whats the best 15" DR to run on 15x10" Racestar with sway bar relocation?

2ndGT500

Established Member
I am having this issue also. I was thinking of taking it to my dealer on Tuesday. Is there actually a TSB on this issue? If so, what is the number to have them look into?

Thanks.

:(

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
There is no fix for the grind, even if Ford rebuilds your transmission. It's an inherent flaw in the tr6060. You will have to live with the problem, or get rid of the car. I had 2 2011 Shelby's, both had the problem, as well as my 08Z(same tr6060). Sorry :shrug:

rodfarva

Established Member
It's not gonna solve your shift problem, but turn the traction control off for racing. Your car will never live up to it's potential with it on.

32V SVT

Established Member
There is no fix for the grind, even if Ford rebuilds your transmission. It's an inherent flaw in the tr6060. You will have to live with the problem, or get rid of the car. I had 2 2011 Shelby's, both had the problem, as well as my 08Z(same tr6060). Sorry :shrug:

CRAP!!!! That sucks!!! :cuss:

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Turn your traction and stabil-trac off. The shelby's traction control pulls timing killing horsepower. You can only get better from here. It was very hot out but, your trap speed. should be much higher.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member

Interesting. This is the 1st I've heard it's a design flaw, is this from a source?

Guys on here have reported getting it repaired and the problem being a mis-installed 2nd gear blocker.

Also, I have a TR6060 in my Viper, and it shifts like butter, never a hint of a 2nd gear problem, and drive the a$$ of that car with 557rwhp.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread