2014 = Surprising Trends

5.0 guy

Established Member
Love my blk/ blk vert with PP and wouldn't change a thing, doubt any coupe is anymore aggressive on the street where it is driven 99 percent of the time, as far as it being speed limited so what as a tune can fix that if I feel I need to go over 155. Funny that they make so may blk ones, even after so many being made my blk vert still ended up being one of a hundred twenty built.

ToltecWarrior

Banishing Self-Importance
Established Member
Nooooo...leave us SGM owners in the minority! lol

Madlock, is there any way to look at 2013 combination build numbers? We've all seen the sheet where it breaks down the numbers to a single attribute, like it showed my car to be 1 of 71 with a glass roof, or 1 of 47 with the base package wheels, but is there a way to see what my car is with a glass roof AND a shaker pro AND base package?

Madlock, Great information! Thank you!

Lethalchem - our vehicles appear to be the same. I added heated seats and a car cover so perhaps that is the difference between the two. In general, "uniqueness" of a particular vehicle does not matter to me. Just having a Shelby GT500 is enough for me. I love it no matter what!!

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Thanks for the great info:beer:

FWIW- I haven't seen a black gt500 since the 13's came out, not even a vert. so i guess they're hiding in my area... good to know the glass roof/full option is low #'s

MNCobra

Established Member
Nooooo...leave us SGM owners in the minority! lol

Madlock, is there any way to look at 2013 combination build numbers? We've all seen the sheet where it breaks down the numbers to a single attribute, like it showed my car to be 1 of 71 with a glass roof, or 1 of 47 with the base package wheels, but is there a way to see what my car is with a glass roof AND a shaker pro AND base package?

where can i find this info?

mwilson6192

Established Member
Hrm, I just was ready to change my order to Grey with blue stripes from DIB with Black. I wanted something a little more unique. I'm torn. What do you guys think which is the better combo? I'm doing everything but the TP/S1000/cover. Will the stripes look silly with the glass roof if I go with blue stripes? Are the blue accents on the seats too much?

I need to firm up my decision.

Go with what YOUR gut wants! :)

Why worry about how "rare" your car will be? Go with what you want, since you will have it (I assume) a while.

The Shelby represented my dream car, and I ordered a 2014 Black Convertible with Red stripes. I didn't worry that black is the most common color. I didn't worry about the relative "rarity scale" that some seem so preoccupied with. I didn't worry that it was speed limited to 155mph (I am never going to see that speed anyway). The color combination I chose simply said "This is the right one for me"!

Your color or options combination should be what you want and what you feel will be the enjoyment factor that works for you. I appreciated Matlock's thread topic, and it is an interesting read, but it didn't sway my decision. I have never experienced a convertible before, and therefore it was a must have in my options list. I ordered a fully loaded convertible with the Performance Package, not because I am going to track the car, but because I could.

So my advice to you is order your Shelby the way YOU want. Trust your gut instinct. Your Shelby is only going to be seen by 0.00000000353% of the nation's population (yes, I made that stat up) anyway, so if you happen to have the "rarest" Shelby combination, no one will know or care.

ebucky

Established Member
Great info...thanks!

-------------------------------
2013 GT500 Coupe • Grabber Blue • Black Stripe • SVT Performance Package • SVT Track Package • Electronics Package • Glass Roof • Recaro Leather Trimmed Sport Seats

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Go with what YOUR gut wants! :)

Why worry about how "rare" your car will be? Go with what you want, since you will have it (I assume) a while.

The Shelby represented my dream car, and I ordered a 2014 Black Convertible with Red stripes. I didn't worry that black is the most common color. I didn't worry about the relative "rarity scale" that some seem so preoccupied with. I didn't worry that it was speed limited to 155mph (I am never going to see that speed anyway). The color combination I chose simply said "This is the right one for me"!

Your color or options combination should be what you want and what you feel will be the enjoyment factor that works for you. I appreciated Matlock's thread topic, and it is an interesting read, but it didn't sway my decision. I have never experienced a convertible before, and therefore it was a must have in my options list. I ordered a fully loaded convertible with the Performance Package, not because I am going to track the car, but because I could.

So my advice to you is order your Shelby the way YOU want. Trust your gut instinct. Your Shelby is only going to be seen by 0.00000000353% of the nation's population (yes, I made that stat up) anyway, so if you happen to have the "rarest" Shelby combination, no one will know or care.

x2. :beer:

Madlock

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words. Glad to oblige.

Madlock,
I'm glad to see you are still around. I enjoy reading most of your posts.

Well, I suppose I'm mostly glad you choose to read them then, Snoop.

Hey Madlock, They've started a thread over at the GT500 forum looking for you! You'de better respond before they schedule a funeral.

Hey! Keep it quiet, will ya? Just 6 1/2 more years and I could've had the IRS declare me deceased! :)

Great read! Do you have any info on Canadian spec GT500s?

Yep. Differs mostly by the HUGELY disproportionate number of Convertibles Canada seems to get year after year and a MUCH higher preference for the blues, Deep Impact AND Grabber. Otherwise, the biggest difference is how badly Canadian buyers get screwed by BOTH the Canadian pricing and the loon value relative to the greenback. We shareholders thank you.

To give you a quick overview, 180 of about 1,400 Coupes scheduled so far have gone to Canada and 73 of about 275 Convertibles. That means one HELL of a Convertibles-to-Canuck ratio, and an even lower ratio of Convertibles for U.S. buyers.

I suspect it's because Canadians want to make the most of the shorter driving window each year with a car that's as flexible as possible, but that's just me guessing.

Welcome back, Madlock, and thanks for the interesting read!

Welcome, Norton.

Thanks for the great info:beer:

FWIW- I haven't seen a black gt500 since the 13's came out, not even a vert. so i guess they're hiding in my area... good to know the glass roof/full option is low #'s

You're welcome. Be careful in your assumptions. The relatively low number of fully-loaded cars doesn't necessarily mean lots of Glass Roofs aren't out there. After all, ditch the Shaker and you can't tell the difference in a parking lot.

Madlock,
Good to see you back, and with a great post! Had been wondering where you were off to. How about some details on the vert your sig says you ordered?

Hiya Husky. Finally wrangled some work release. :)

I really need to update my sig. I actually managed to track down and buy the last-made '13 Convertible that's identical to my '13 Coupe - so I now have a matched '13 Coupe/Convertible set. I also have dibs on a pair of '14 allocations, of which the Convertible was already built (6 months sooner than I was told to expect).

One final note about '14 stats to date. TX has received more cars BY FAR than any other state, fully 2/3 more than the next runner-up, CA which is barely eking out FL for second place (among U.S. states). Perennial runner-up contender states like NY, OH, and MI (lots of employee buyers) are seeing notably fewer vehicles - at least so far. Between Canada, TX, CA, and FL, they combine to account for more than one third of all '14 GT500s scheduled or built so far.

It's probably important to note '13 and '14 have been very distorted to some degree by the fact that many larger stores have struck agreements with many smaller stores from all over the country to pay their participation fee and then buy their cars for a guaranteed profit, meaning a large number of cars will ultimately be sold by DIFFERENT dealers in different states than the stores that originally ordered them.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Thanks for all of the stats Madlock! :beer:

Do you think they will keep the 2014 GT500 build down to approx. 4,000 cars this year as has been said several times? Or closer to the approx. 5K total build number of the 2013's?

lethal

Established Member
All good points, I did up changing my order, then five days later changing it back.

Can't do it, going to stick with my blue car, love the color, all the kids in my family/friends etc say blue is my color. Love the grey, but its DIB for me.

Perhaps with the dive in production #'s the blue will still be rare. SB was only available in 2003 for the Terminator, mine was one of 1040 or so (verts+coupes). I'd still like to be under 1000 units if possible.

We shall see....

Lawrenzo

Established Member
Thanks for all the research done to bring us this info. I'm a bit surprised by the lack of affection for silver cars. I think that it shows off the lines of the car real well. The few shows I've attended I've had lots of comments on my color combo.

Madlock

Established Member
Thanks for all of the stats Madlock! :beer:

Do you think they will keep the 2014 GT500 build down to approx. 4,000 cars this year as has been said several times? Or closer to the approx. 5K total build number of the 2013's?

Have absolutely NO idea. It's likely to be highly affected by the overall number of Mustangs they decide to build since GT500 in built interspersed among them.

There's good reason to think either way. One thing Ford has done EXCEPTIONALLY well has been to keep dealer stocks lean ahead of model year changeovers, ESPECIALLY ahead of new version launches, top avoid the kind of cash and residual-sapping incentives required to move old stock. Those are previously-reported earnings that come STRAIGHT back off the balance sheet, and keeping them so well in check, especially ahead of key launches like Focus, Escape and Fusion has been one key reason for Ford enjoying among the industry's highest profit margins despite one of its highest cost structures. (It's also one reason why GM and Chrysler's margins remain so challenged despite having effectively become trust fund babies with sweetheart labor contracts to boot given how much ownership in each maker the UAW retirement trust was simply given in each of the bailed-out makers).

So that's one damn good reason to think there won't be inordinate numbers of S197 Mustangs laying around when the 50th Anniversary version lands on our heads.

Conversely, there may not be an immediate GT500 successor for 2015, leaving dealers plenty of time to sell through inordinately large stocks of of the last supercharged large-displacement cars from the factory, making it anybody's guess as to the number of highly-profitable GT500s Ford may choose to crank-out, especially given the last opportunity under the CAFE mandates it will have to cash-in on a fully-amortized product, as a 2014 GT500 alongside a 2015 GT in showrooms is hardly an equivalent competitor.

At the same time, there's only so much stock dealer floorplan financing can absorb. A $60K GT500 is a pair of F-150s or 3 Focuses it could turn several times over in the meantime, making it a tough proposition to figure.

Personally, I wouldn't expect an abject shortage of overall cars, but since Ford is also likely to build out a large number to use up stocks of components they already have, they may wind up offering dealers extra units built to suit whatever configuration of components Ford needs to burn through. The result could be a decent number of cars, but not necessarily in anybody's first choice of color or option combinations. I would, however, expect them to be highly-optioned, especially with features like Glass Roofs, so Ford can maximize its profit potential from the assets it already has.

Madlock

Established Member
Addendum:

Not bothering to distinguish between cars with the cover, only 37 base Coupes exist so far, 21 if without the car cover. That's about 2.5% which, on a value for money basis, makes for a pretty damned cheap car of such power. But since options are where dealers make their highest margins, very few tend to exist on their own. In fact, 27 of the 37 were retail orders specifically configured for customers.

72SBC

Established Member
Addendum:

Not bothering to distinguish between cars with the cover, only 37 base Coupes exist so far, 21 if without the car cover. That's about 2.5% which, on a value for money basis, makes for a pretty damned cheap car of such power. But since options are where dealers make their highest margins, very few tend to exist on their own. In fact, 27 of the 37 were retail orders specifically configured for customers.

I think I'm the only stripe delete SGM base coupe with no options ordered haha.

msw.63

Established Member
Great thread with some interesting information. I have a 2014 black/red (reverse of my pictured 2008 GT500) that just arrived at the dealer from a November order I placed that I wouldn't change colors on for a minute, but that DIB is a beautiful car--even my wife liked it, and she's not a "car girl"--believes they are for transportation; I'm not sure what that's about.

Thanks Madlock!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread