2014 = Surprising Trends

Madlock

Established Member
This is very true here as well. And Subaru drivers are very often the left lane camper.
They also tend to be a specific political persuasion based on their bumper stickers.
:pop:

Hah!

I mean, how much driving can they actually have time to do with so many trees out there waiting to be hugged?

But they do seem to love their Subarus, bumper stickers, and driving in the lane that reflects their politics. Not that AWD doesn't come in handy in northern climes, even milder ones like the Pacific Northwest. But just how much off-roading does the average Subaru driver actually do between Whole Foods and faculty parking?

Established Member
Hah!

I mean, how much driving can they actually have time to do with so many trees out there waiting to be hugged?

But they do seem to love their Subarus, bumper stickers, and driving in the lane that reflects their politics. Not that AWD doesn't come in handy in northern climes, even milder ones like the Pacific Northwest. But just how much off-roading does the average Subaru driver actually do between Whole Foods and faculty parking?

HA! eXactly! :lol:

You have them pegged to a Tee. Either you have been out here or they have them there too.

Madlock

Established Member
HA! eXactly! :lol:

You have them pegged to a Tee. Either you have been out here or they have them there too.

Both. Though even more so because they're the ones I aim for first.

But if you ever need ANYBODY who knows EXACTLY how EVERY other person OUGHT to be made to live his life, just pull alongside and roll down your window. It's incredible how they know EVERYTHING about ANYTHING!

Anyway - here's the U.S. Market MY 2014 Convertible Distribution

MI 70
FL 47
CA 44
TX 43
PA 40
OH 36
GA 34
IL 33
WI 33
NJ 31
NY 28
MO 25
VA 24
IN 22
IA 20
NC 16
MA 16
MN 15
AZ 13
WA 13
MD 12
CT 10
CO 9
SD 9
NV 9
NE 8
TN 8
OR 8
AL 8
SC 7
VT 6
KS 6
OK 6
ME 6
WV 6
KY 5
LA 5
MS 5
NH 4
AR 4
RI 4
NM 3
UT 3
WY 2
ND 2
ID 1
DE 1
HI 1
MT 1
Grand Total 762*

* - Includes 3 Test Mule/Press/Show examples with 2 made for MI and 1 for FL.

Non U.S. Convertibles Include:

OTHER EXPORT MARKETS - 8
MEXICO - 12
CANADA - 132

Factoids:

Despite Canuckleheads being such overwhelmingly disproportionate GT500 buyers and Convertibles in particular where fully 1 in 7 were sold, not a single example was made for an AK dealer. Yet despite local rental fleets being packed to the gills with mass market Mustang Convertibles, just one GT500 Convertible was made for HI.

As 2013 similarly showed, the propensity for GT500 Convertibles declined steeply with the advent of the 5.8L, and buyer's apparent realization both that only a Coupe could fully exploit its performance potential and prior-year versions (11-12) actually made for more pleasant Convertibles to drive with shorter overall gearing and far lighter clutches.

The disproportionate number of MI cars are likely attributable to substantial employee purchases with no other state exhibiting similar distortion versus actual demographics.

250 of 762 U.S. market cars were fully-optioned (320 excluding Car Covers) - a FAR higher overall percentage than Coupes. Only 17 barebones cars were made, 22 (if Car Covers are included). 44 Canuckibles are fully-loaded, (60 without considering Car Covers).

In short, if you want a 13/14 Convertible, you're already in pretty-rare company (unless you're Canadian). The hugely disproportionate volume of fully-optioned Convertibles would seem to indicate buyers who were much more after their "one shot at having it all" all-arounder (that's a mid-life crisis to civilians) than Coupe owners who were much likelier to have been driven by price, a more focused scope of use and/or more specific configurations for future modifications.

If you own a barebones Convertible, ESPECIALLY if you're Canadian, just go ahead and screw a horn into the middle of your forehead, because you've made among the rarest '14 GT500 choices of all.

Convertible Take Rates:

SVTPP - 88% (9 in 10)
Electronics Package - 86% (6 in 7)
Recaro Seats - 61% (3 in 5)
Glass Roof - 0% (Attention Check)
Shaker Pro - 66% (2 in 3)
Car Cover - 67% (2 in 3)

Last edited:

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
Thanks Madlock!

As a 14 Vert owner that ordered mine I'm really surprised at the 9/10 take rate on SVTPP package (which I did not order) considering Vert limitations including top speed, and most Vert owners won't track their cars. I believe Chris has reviewed both suspensions and actually seemed to prefer the base so only logical reasons people with Verts get the SVTPP is to simply "load the car up" or they like the dark charcoal rims against the black top. I thought before I took delivery that I'd probably want to have the base rims painted/coated flat black when I got the car but once I saw it in person was really happy with the color of the base wheels against my DIB with Black Stripe Vert.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
What "full breakdown"? There's virtually an unlimited number of ways the data can be sliced and diced, each of which is bound not to contain the one particular piece of data somebody was hoping to break-out.

This one except showing the 14s
ProNums_zps608c5c51.gif

Last edited:

Madlock

Established Member
Thanks Madlock!

As a 14 Vert owner that ordered mine I'm really surprised at the 9/10 take rate on SVTPP package (which I did not order) considering Vert limitations including top speed, and most Vert owners won't track their cars. I believe Chris has reviewed both suspensions and actually seemed to prefer the base so only logical reasons people with Verts get the SVTPP is to simply "load the car up" or they like the dark charcoal rims against the black top. I thought before I took delivery that I'd probably want to have the base rims painted/coated flat black when I got the car but once I saw it in person was really happy with the color of the base wheels against my DIB with Black Stripe Vert.

I'm not surprised - given how dealers think when ordering cars, and how many buyers think when purchasing them.

Coupe owners are far likelier to be more targeted in what they want (or don't want) because they're likelier to make future performance and component upgrades that could render useless options like the adjustable dampers and a tighter suspension for those with an FR-3 pack already on the radar.

Having added the non-shock components of an FR-3 to my '13 Coupe and loving how much more crisply it handles, the REAL right answer was returning it to stock (except for tubular and billet components) and using a 302 on the track.

Not only do options like the SVTPP add HUGE amounts of profit potential (double that of the base vehicle), it's natural for dealers to load them up - and for Ford to want them to. And for people who have their one chance to own a mid-life crisis mobile, I can see why they're likely to want to make it as much of an all-arounder as it can be, even when that means counterintuitively adding performance features like the SVTPP to a structurally-weakened chassis. Navigation is a natural for what's basically a high-performance touring car - and Recaro Seats become as much a styling statement or comfort preference as performance enhancement option. The same is true of the Shaker Pro, when having the highest-spec'd stereo means more than the extra weight it might add.

Though apart from the adjustable dampers, the 13/14 SVTPP is really an entirely different animal than preceding years'. It no longer includes different tires and staggered wheel setups or gearing differences to offset them. And as much as I'd be tempted to want to own the most highly-spec'd car available, I'd also probably want the easiest and most comfortable to drive Convertible once it was actually in my driveway.

mwilson6192

Established Member
And for people who have their one chance to own a mid-life crisis mobile, I can see why they're likely to want to make it as much of an all-arounder as it can be, even when that means counterintuitively adding performance features like the SVTPP to a structurally-weakened chassis. Navigation is a natural for what's basically a high-performance touring car - and Recaro Seats become as much a styling statement or comfort preference as performance enhancement option. The same is true of the Shaker Pro, when having the highest-spec'd stereo means more than the extra weight it might add.

You just described me. I was finally able to financially afford a fully optioned (including car cover) 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible. There wasn't much logic involved when I configured my Shelby Convertible other than I wanted every possible option available (and I have to say I ordered the Recaros more for the style of the seats, but have come to love them for the comfort and support they provide).

The same rationale (or lack thereof) applied when I modified my convertible (where it remains at Tasca Mod Shop waiting to come home for Christmas whenever Reliable Carriers can find a driver). Adding a full series of performance modifications to a convertible because I could, not because it makes any kind of rational, logical sense to a structurally-weakened chassis (modifications which included a Whipple 4.0L polished supercharger upgrade and many other supporting upgrades, resulting in 760RWHP and pushing 900HP at the crank).

I love my completely illogical, non-rational modified "all-arounder" mid-life crisis 2014 Shelby Convertible! ;-)

TascaModShophoto11_zps4724f0c2.jpg

TascaModShopphoto13_zpsa4d9a45b.jpg

Husky44

Established Member
Based on the info above, I own the only 13/14 vert delivered to AK. And I now reside with it in FL. And my daughter's name is Shelby, so I must be a rainbow unicorn. :)

Simon_C

Established Member
And for people who have their one chance to own a mid-life crisis mobile, I can see why they're likely to want to make it as much of an all-arounder as it can be, even when that means counterintuitively adding performance features like the SVTPP to a structurally-weakened chassis.

My entire life has been a mid-life crisis. Coupled with an addiction to speed and a natural inclination to recidivism makes it very difficult to spec out a car. I ended up choosing every available option. It's the first time I've gone public with this. My therapist considers this as progress. But then she's from California where I suspect it's illegal to hurt my feelings.

Madlock

Established Member
You just described me. I was finally able to financially afford a fully optioned (including car cover) 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible. There wasn't much logic involved when I configured my Shelby Convertible other than I wanted every possible option available (and I have to say I ordered the Recaros more for the style of the seats, but have come to love them for the comfort and support they provide).

The same rationale (or lack thereof) applied when I modified my convertible (where it remains at Tasca Mod Shop waiting to come home for Christmas whenever Reliable Carriers can find a driver). Adding a full series of performance modifications to a convertible because I could, not because it makes any kind of rational, logical sense to a structurally-weakened chassis (modifications which included a Whipple 4.0L polished supercharger upgrade and many other supporting upgrades, resulting in 760RWHP and pushing 900HP at the crank).

I love my completely illogical, non-rational modified "all-arounder" mid-life crisis 2014 Shelby Convertible! ;-)

Aymen, brudder. It only needs to make sense to one person - whoever's name happens to be on the title (or the note). Nobody else's vote counts.

My point was that prior versions were more intrinsically appealing as a Coupe alternative - with fewer inherent compromises due to the additional power and torque. It as much, if not more, made the Coupe so much more attractive than the Convertible less so.

Based on the info above, I own the only 13/14 vert delivered to AK. And I now reside with it in FL. And my daughter's name is Shelby, so I must be a rainbow unicorn. :)

Well, maybe - but not necessarily. Did I miss where '13 production information by state was mentioned? Also, any information would be based upon the dealer where the vehicle was delivered from Flat Rock, not necessarily the dealership that ordered or sold the vehicle. But if you can manage to rock the whole horn-in-forehead look, have at it. Just look what Madonna did for pointy bras!

My entire life has been a mid-life crisis. Coupled with an addiction to speed and a natural inclination to recidivism makes it very difficult to spec out a car. I ended up choosing every available option. It's the first time I've gone public with this. My therapist considers this as progress. But then she's from California where I suspect it's illegal to hurt my feelings.

Welcome out of the closet. Not that I'm exactly counting on it happening, but if ever Hale Bopp decides to hang a Louie on its next pass and do to us what something once did to the dinosaurs, the very LAST thought I want going through my mind as I watch it streak toward Earth is, "I wish I'd..."

The proverbial bus that might take any of us out ALWAYS may be just around the corner, and regrets are the one thing I don't want occupying my final thoughts. Besides, even if the bus and comet DON'T come, we have JUST enough jackasses occupying powerful enough elected positions of responsibility to effectively wipe out the entire economy and pretty-much leave us all wallowing in the same outcome.

CAFE is already driving OE supercharged large displacement motors either into extinction of beyond anybody's desire or ability to afford them in the future. When opportunities present themselves, I take them. And I DON'T take for granted their continued existence tomorrow.

Then again, I'm apparently qualified to perform sign language translations at world dignitaries' memorial services - a skill I had absolutely NO idea I actually possessed. So maybe I can do a little moonlighting in the future to support myself.

That will be out in April from SVT.

Seems silly to go through the effort to produce something Ford will already provide, right?

Im not sure that's a good idea to preempt Ford.:shrug:

Good idea (or not) for whom? Not to mention the presumption that the information Ford provides is at all comprehensive, detailed or provide the specific cross section someone may desire.

What I would NOT do, and what definitely is NOT kosher would be to put into the public domain Ford's copyrighted proprietary information in the form Ford chooses to provide it on a fee basis, be it good, bad or indifferent.

Last edited:

featurecar50

Established Member
I ordered a 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible DIB w/ white stripes as a no option car, wow only 17 built in this combo?

Thanks Madlock

Last edited:

Fordfourlife

Established Member
That will be out in April from SVT.

Seems silly to go through the effort to produce something Ford will already provide, right?

Im not sure that's a good idea to preempt Ford.:shrug:

I never said anyone here had to make this chart, just stated that I am anxious for it to come out. Guess we will have to wait till April to see it.

Madlock

Established Member
I ordered a 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible DIB w/ white stripes as a no option car, wow only 17 built in this combo?

Kind of. 36 - less 12 for Mexico and 2 Canuckibles.

8 such DIBs - 3 for Mexico and 1 for Canada. The U.S. cars were one each for NY, DE, PA and MI.

5 with a White Stripe - 1 Canuckible and the 4 aforementioned U.S. cars.

Yours must be (drum roll) 1ZVBP8KZ7E5268209.

S&W 500

Madlock

Thank you for the 2014 distribution info.

Out of the 9 coupes you listed for Hawaii, I have a Blk/Blk - All options except the glass roof. Exactly the way I wanted her.

The 'One' convertible car is still for sale at the dealership.

Madlock

Established Member
Madlock

Thank you for the 2014 distribution info.

Out of the 9 coupes you listed for Hawaii, I have a Blk/Blk - All options except the glass roof. Exactly the way I wanted her.

The 'One' convertible car is still for sale at the dealership.

Yours must be 1ZVBP8JZ3E5252851.

Those Hawaii stores crack me up. Island Ford in Kahului can't resist slapping $5K ADMs on even Fiestas. They apparently bank on people not knowing of the many white glove RoRo services from the Bay Area, SoCal and even Seattle.

Surprisingly, the last time I saw a GT500 there, they wanted a $30K premium for a '12. They want a mere $20K for a '14. And Jesus, they just WON'T let you have a moment to yourself in the showroom. They were like gnats.

On the same day, I almost choked when I saw a 2010 Lincoln MKS on the same lot - which I presumed to be a CPO lease turn-in. As it turned out, it was STILL a brand new stock unit with only 61 miles - and they were still advertising it for $38,000 when it stickered for $42,000 almost 5 years ago. (Plus $8K ADM, of course).

Coincidentally, the car sold the same day and I bumped into the buyer about a week later who remembered me from the showroom. (Apparently, I had parked where the dealer owner likes to park, and the staff asked me to move my car, despite 3 open spaces in the shade directly next to my car. He thought it was funny when I suggested they let their boss tell me to move my car himself - especially since I was driving a local vehicle and not a rental.) It was a Canadian who visits a few weeks several times each year, and he was thrilled to have picked-up the MKS for $32K before his trade value.

It MUST be an odd market to operate in when inventory swap potential is so limited, but they really abuse the hell out of some of the customers, especially those who may not visit often but stay long enough to make owning a car there worthwhile. The funniest part was radio spots which advertised model year-end promotions that waived the "dealer premiums". :)

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Appreciate the New Vert. info., Madlock. The funny thing is, coming out of a 09 Black GT 500 Vert., and now have a '14 Gt 500 Vert., most people don't notice the difference. Stripe delete on both cars. Looks like I accomplished my goal of a somewhat stealth look.
Sterling Gray Metallic on the '14. Stealth look on a Gt 500, who am I kidding, LOL...
Thanx again for the information...

Madlock

Established Member
Appreciate the New Vert. info., Madlock. The funny thing is, coming out of a 09 Black GT 500 Vert., and now have a '14 Gt 500 Vert., most people don't notice the difference. Stripe delete on both cars. Looks like I accomplished my goal of a somewhat stealth look.
Sterling Gray Metallic on the '14. Stealth look on a Gt 500, who am I kidding, LOL...
Thanx again for the information...

Meh, I just figure it says more about the fact that about 90% of society is comprised of dolts who wouldn't even know the mathematical difference between a 9 and 14 with a calculator - let alone between cars of the two model years.

We really have entered the Age of the Nimrod.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Interesting info for sure! Do you have the same delivery list for the 13's? I ordered my blk blk stripe vert thinking most people would order the more flamboyant colors but guess I was wrong! I can still live with 1 of 286! Just curious how many cars were delivered to Colorado for 13.

Users who are viewing this thread