2014 = Surprising Trends

Madlock

Established Member
Any idea on Grabber Blue/Black stripes coupe production numbers?

It's going to change every day and it's nowhere near close enough to the end of the model year able determining with any kind of confidence how many WILL exist based upon however many may exist today.

That said, there are 59 - with 13 in Canada alone. They love their Grabber Blue and Convertibles in particular. I suspect yours may be 1ZVBP8JZ8E5237410.

Madlock

Established Member
After seeing June sales results for both Ford an GM, despite the pony/muscle segment being down overall, it's absolutely terrific to see Mustang squarely back on top with year-to-date sales and Camaro enduring a 20% downturn in year-on-year volumes with Mustang being off merely half as much - despite being in the midst of the last of a nine year-old platform.

I've said it before and I say it often... $50B just doesn't seem to go as far as it used to.

Gabed1972

Established Member
Can't wait to find out how many ruby red convertibles are made:dancenana:

freakshow12

Established Member
So, I just picked up an ingot silver coupe with black stripes. It is Canadian spec and only options are performance pkg, glass roof and car cover. Any ideas on how many or few exist?

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Guys when will be the last month before they stop making the 14's ? I may have a change of heart on selling me Z06 for a 14 snake :)

Madlock

Established Member
Most allocations are used up.

But we seem to be hearing September

Most existing allocations, have been used simply by virtue of "use 'em or lose 'em" scheduling requirements that obligate a dealer to either order a car for inventory or accept a Ford-configured united whether or not they have a retail order to fill it with. I have one store's '14 allocation that doesn't need to be submitted until late August for likely build between September and November.

I've been hearing build-out is likely fall toward the end of September which (for the benefit of others) is when Ford takes stock of what exists, what it wants to exist and the resources it has to decide how many more it wants to produce - which it will then offer to dealers through their area reps as either supplemental allocations or "whatever you get" units, since not all dealers who have an allocation have the cash flow or confidence in finding a customer to take one.

There's usually more than enough other dealers who extend open offers to buy up other stores' expiring or build-out allocations, but people will be limited at that point to choosing among whatever happens to exist.

In the meantime, it's not uncommon for Ford to accept and fill bona fide retail orders for buyers from dealers even without allocations if it knows build-out will be uncommonly large. What DOESN'T seem likely is that Ford will be building an unusually large number of GT500's to supplement 2015 when no top-end placeholder will exist.

Beyond build-out, individual cars at individual stores in individual markets are likely to get either VERY cheap or VERY expensive. I'm sure at least one dealer somewhere will still have a GT500 with a $10K ADM sticker in the middle of his showroom even when the next-generation Mach 1 has arrived. :)

reason4treason

Established Member
Madlock:

Thanks for the in-depth response back on page 5, especially in reply to my question about customers not being able to reliably get info about their true allocation status.

Basically, everything that's deliberately done is toward the end of making more profit for Ford. That includes working with their own system that's evolved over the decades. Even when they want to make changes, they're can't just scrap what they have and start over because too many stakeholders need to be taken into account. All the players from salesperson up to CEO need to be kept happy to a degree that best promotes overall profit.

I'd also guess (might be wrong of course) that generations of families, friends, and associates who've worked for Ford for multiple decades has created people who really do 'know a guy' even if their status is not so high up on the totem pole. From a customer's point of view it's tough to estimate reliability of info, but there does seem to be some gelling that somehow has led to some people's words being much more reliable than others. I very much appreciate Deysha as I'm sure a lot of others do, just for getting info that it seems any Customer Service personnel ought to be able to. But being able to, and being willing to by putting extra oomph into it are not necessarily the same...aside from those people who genuinely do have personal connections that can get the real scoop.

About some '14s and possibly '13s keeping ADMs well into MY2015, I already have seen that with the '12s near me where they kept a $15K ADM for at least a year on one car (may have come down somewhat off of that to get the sale). Those guys still have a brand new '08 KR sitting in the showroom with nothing at all indicating a price redux on the $80+K window sticker. At the same time, another Ford dealer 10 miles away dropped their 3 or 4 '12 GT500s by 6-7K in spring 2012 when the '13 GT500 went on sale. Prices can vary widely from one dealer to the next so I can see how it'd be hard to make a generalizable prediction about new '13 and '14 GT500 prices a year from now.

Do you think toward the end of buildout, a coupe would be more likely to be a filled order than a vert? With more coupes sold, it seems there's more wiggle room to squeeze into that group than that which uses vert parts (that'd assume they have more coupe components than vert...along with there not being many different components included in that cipher anyway). Somewhere there's gonna be a line drawn between the last guy/gal who gets theirs and the first one who's rejected and I'm wondering if coupe/vert makes any meaningful difference in that at all.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
I'd also think that if once Ford confirmed an allocation was covered for anyone, that would constitute a contract, then that'd apply to dealers too. And lots of dealers promise customers allocations that they know they don't have when they make the promise and just hope they'll get one (or more) later to cover their promise.

As the model year comes to a close, there must be quite a few who can never deliver on their promise and therefore break a contract. So if a dealer puts in print via email that they indeed do have an allocation (verbal is no less a contract, just usually tougher to prove) and don't, the customer ought to have grounds to seek redress.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I'd also think that if once Ford confirmed an allocation was covered for anyone, that would constitute a contract, then that'd apply to dealers too. And lots of dealers promise customers allocations that they know they don't have when they make the promise and just hope they'll get one (or more) later to cover their promise.

As the model year comes to a close, there must be quite a few who can never deliver on their promise and therefore break a contract. So if a dealer puts in print via email that they indeed do have an allocation (verbal is no less a contract, just usually tougher to prove) and don't, the customer ought to have grounds to seek redress.

Probably not.

It's pretty simple "ford stopped building them." Will be the response.

Sucks- but that's how is usually goes :(

reason4treason

Established Member
Probably not.

It's pretty simple "ford stopped building them." Will be the response.

Sucks- but that's how is usually goes :(

that wouldn't surprise me. the most common answer I get when I ask an attorney anything is, "it depends." what the explicit rules may be and how that's all played out in real-time in vivo can be 2 very different things. nothing to stop anyone from filing such a suit i'd suppose but what the likely outcome would be is debatable.

Last edited:

Gabed1972

Established Member
Bump to the top.

Any word on when factory will start up the GT500 assembly line again?

Users who are viewing this thread