2nd gear grind!

GT50008

Established Member
The 2007-2009 didn't really have the issues. They just needed to be broken in or the clutch tsb.

I agree. Does anyone know what makes the 2007 - 2009 different so that they don't experience this 1 to 2 grind, which appears to be all too common for later models?

ecrissman

shifter mod, your grind experience , fluid preference

So I am curious my 2012 will only grind with a 1-2 quick shift while doing a burnout with heavy wheelspin. If I ride first gear out until the tires hookup it doesnt grind. Is this the same situation everyone else is having? Transmission has alway been up to temp as well. Basically you wouldnt want to leave a show where the car has been sitting for hours and try to melt off a 1-2 burnout.

Looking at the 5/8 factory shift holes and the rubber bushing I can see where that would affect shift feel. How about 5/8 steel bushing inserts to make ita solid mount? Factory look solid mount, probably way more noise and vibration but we basically bought factory built race cars so who cares. I might have somethng made up or find something to retrofit and see what happens.

Anyone have a preference between amsoil, mobil-1 (tremec recommends) or royal purple?

Zeroescence

Established Member
So I am curious my 2012 will only grind with a 1-2 quick shift while doing a burnout with heavy wheelspin. If I ride first gear out until the tires hookup it doesnt grind. Is this the same situation everyone else is having? Transmission has alway been up to temp as well. Basically you wouldnt want to leave a show where the car has been sitting for hours and try to melt off a 1-2 burnout.

Looking at the 5/8 factory shift holes and the rubber bushing I can see where that would affect shift feel. How about 5/8 steel bushing inserts to make ita solid mount? Factory look solid mount, probably way more noise and vibration but we basically bought factory built race cars so who cares. I might have somethng made up or find something to retrofit and see what happens.

Anyone have a preference between amsoil, mobil-1 (tremec recommends) or royal purple?

Wow. Funny you bring this up. I notice it only grinds when I have no traction. Which is normal for a first gear sprint. But when the tires get warm and I punch it in first and it hooks I don't get the grind. I guess that's the issue.

I used Amsoil ATF in my trans. Seems like its smoother but still grinds. But only grinds with no traction.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I have the grind also on my 13 just like my 12 and if I slow down my shift it's fine also if I pull the shifter towards myself to the left it doesn't grind. I plan to put a MGW shifter in it but will wait a little while in case I need to take it in for Ford to try and fix.

Bllit11

Established Member
BOD89LX i'm starting to have the same problem i'm going to buy an mgw shifter.I thought about having ford look at mine and i may yet but i remember what i went through with my 2011.Keep us posted if you do take it in.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Just out of curiosity why would you not take it to ford if you are having the problem?
Due to the fact that Ford has no real fix for the problem as it seems to be a design flaw built into the transmission and remote shifter design and the clutch pedal box. I had the same problem with my 12 and ford repaired it to the best of there current ability and it was an improvement but still had the problem and I just learned to work around it and shift slower from first to second. So it looks as though I will just have to live with it as I like everything else about this car.

GreggsSVT

Established Member
I hope this is just me not being used to it but I've had 2nd gear grind 3 times so far in my 13 Shelby. Each time i was on it to about 5,000-5,500 rpm and shifted to 2nd and it would grind but went in to 2nd easy and a few time I've done the same with no grind. For some reason i can not seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know how to shift this is my 4th mustang all were standards and I've raced everyone of them. So what do you guys think? Could it just be me and i need a little more seat time or should i bring her in to get checked
Thanks for your time
Brett

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

5K 5500 rpm on stock tires or DR at the track....
I can't figure out how you can get to that rpm without spinning your tires for one thing.

Bllit11

Established Member
The reason i may not take it in is my 2011 trans got rebuilt clutch was fine sat up in the air on a lift for 2 1/2 weeks while waiting for parts. Got it back it pulled to the right got that fixed drove it easy for 200 miles got on it still had the same problem. Took it back new trans new clutch and new shifter still had intermittent grind. Don't like the idea of the tech hammering on my 2013 like they did with 2011 and still had a problem.

BOD89LX

Established Member
The reason i may not take it in is my 2011 trans got rebuilt clutch was fine sat up in the air on a lift for 2 1/2 weeks while waiting for parts. Got it back it pulled to the right got that fixed drove it easy for 200 miles got on it still had the same problem. Took it back new trans new clutch and new shifter still had intermittent grind. Don't like the idea of the tech hammering on my 2013 like they did with 2011 and still had a problem.

Well said.

Bllit11

Established Member
Thanks i was wondering your clutch smelled as did mine wonder if that may have something to do with it. After that that's when the grind showed up before it didn't grind smooth as butter.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I had it happen the first time I tried it then had the clutch smell after that and it is a 50/50 chance that it will happen again like I said I just make myself slow down the 1-2 shift.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Yep, No grind...but I noticed something today while driving "normal" when I went to shift from 1-2 as I brought it into 2nd, it felt like it went in between 2nd and 4th or did go into 4th? Felt like in between. Anyways I had to hold clutch in, put it back into neutral, then re-engage 2nd. No problems. First time that's happened or that I noticed it. I bet if I had let that clutch out either it would've grind or I'd been in 4th. I still think it ended up in between. I will definitely be pulling it to the left now as I go into 2nd from now on...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
As far as I can tell after 950 miles, the shifter design is the issue....I have no grind but 1-2 you have to yank it and pull towards you for a positive shift. I say get the MGW, im planning to change soon

Zeroescence

Established Member
As far as I can tell after 950 miles, the shifter design is the issue....I have no grind but 1-2 you have to yank it and pull towards you for a positive shift. I say get the MGW, im planning to change soon

Definitely the stock shifter is the issue. Get the MGW devious, you'll love it. I know I do.

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I'm at 560 miles or so. Got on her a few times, no 1-2 grind for me as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread