3.55's in an Auto?

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Sorry if this is a worn out subject. If there is a relative thread feel free to point me to it.

I have the auto with standard issue 3.15's. First gear of course is awesome but can't stand how long it takes to wind it out in every other gear. I am 95% street and 5% drag race but do want some benefit at the track. I would be running 17 inch Mickey's at the track. I hear I may run slower because I will have to go into 4th? I know that works against me but it seems a good hard launch would make up for that.

I would love daily driving impressions from anyone who has made the switch. I know I may lose 1mpg or more on the highway which is not of concern and I wouldn't mind running a little more rpm.

Feedback would be great, I have a good deal on 3.55's pending......

Thanks.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
If your going to go blower in the future leave it alone.

I actually use the car for business so no plans for a blower unless I buy another daily sometime down the road. Really looking for more "oomph" after 1st gear and when driving around. If anything I may put a 100 shot but would only be for the track when I run DR's.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
Typically gears reduce ET by about 2 tenths, about the same as adding 20HP. If you think that will do it for you, then do the gears.

I wouldnt worry about shifting into 4th gear.

try03venom

Established Member
Typically gears reduce ET by about 2 tenths, about the same as adding 20HP. If you think that will do it for you, then do the gears.

I wouldnt worry about shifting into 4th gear.

gears help if you have the hook. Chris Cruz has an auto 3.73's and a blower runs 9's. Stick cars like to stay in 4th thru the traps

Users who are viewing this thread