351R vs. 351 lightning motor?

Svt Fox

Established Member
WOW... have you not read anything above your first post. This thread isnt about how blocks where setup or IF they could be changed to a roller. Your too far off subject and wrong at that.. :bored:

Are you talking about not having to use the dog bones that connect two lifters to each other? No on second thought I dont want to know.. Not going to straighten you out on that either..

Uh okay... Did you bother reading either link?

How am I wrong? Explain.

Svt Fox

Established Member
I to have owned a few lightning 2 being low mile 20k and 40k trucks and neither were roller blocks.For the 351 block to be a roller it HAD to be F4 which makes it a casting in 94 if there were any 93s with that block it had to be a replacement or a VERY late production.Stan

You got jipped.

n2fords2003

Established Member
I to have owned a few lightning 2 being low mile 20k and 40k trucks and neither were roller blocks.For the 351 block to be a roller it HAD to be F4 which makes it a casting in 94 if there were any 93s with that block it had to be a replacement or a VERY late production.Stan

This block argument is a moot point. So where the lightnings roller lifters or not. Sounds as if its a no. That makes the two much more similar than I thought. What makes the 95R motor referred to as a boat motor? Are we really down to piston, compression, and cam specs being the only differences?

Svt Fox

Established Member
This block argument is a moot point. So where the lightnings roller lifters or not. Sounds as if its a no. That makes the two much more similar than I thought. What makes the 95R motor referred to as a boat motor? Are we really down to piston, compression, and cam specs being the only differences?

The L is a flat tappet engine. The 95R is a roller.

Yes.

n2fords2003

Established Member
The L is a flat tappet engine. The 95R is a roller.

Yes.

Will you shut the hell up.. Troll somewhere else.. Take your vast knowledge over to the vett or diesel power forums
shrug.gif

Svt Fox

Established Member
Will you shut the hell up.. Troll somewhere else.. Take your vast knowledge over to the vett or diesel power forums
shrug.gif

I'll do as I please. Here's a thought, if you don't like what I have to say, add me to your ignore list or...don't ****ing respond?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
On some boat motors when running twins one motor is run backwards so the props can work together. I have no idea if 351s were ever set up in that arangement.

Tom

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the 351w came with a flat tappet cam. So much miss information in this thread.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
the 351r motors used in the saleens correct 1994-1999 saleen s351 cars? well the 351w used in the lightning were very weak thats all I kno, they were only rated what 240hp @ the flywheel, the cobra r with the 351 was rated 300hp @ the crank,and the 351 in the saleen were rated 380hp @ the crank. Ikno the saleens had better heads / intake, not sure about what cam they used?

but what made the 95 cobra r better then the lightning, compression only? they both are 5.8 liters same crappy gt40 heads and intake ? what size cam did they use, and the blocks are all able to convert to a roller cam correct?

I run a truck block 5.0 in my 95 gt, and that had a old style flat tappet style comp cam in it to, all I did was convert used a set of trickflow 5.0 pushrods , spider / put new ford racing lifters in and run a comp cams xe274hr roller cam. now. so you do the same I would assume with any 1 of the 351 motors?

I would go with a saleen 351 though? they seem to make the most power and I think they already run a roller cam in them? but the lightning and cobra R run the old style cam flat tappet cams?

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I remember the Saleen running the Edelbock heads and Vortech intake.

No idea why the L was rated at such a lower number than the R. They were the same basic motors other than cam and intake.

Tm

99BOSS

Established Member
Saleens used the Lightning block until they were used up, around 98. The 99 Saleen S351s used the beefier 351 sportsman block like in my car. Saleen also used alum Edelbrock heads til 96 then switched over to Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. In N/A trim the S351 made 400hp, the Vortech cars made 495. They used a Lightning lower intake, and 93 Cobra upper. The cam is a roller cam and they varied from year to year. Its really close to a comp cams 284 HR blower cam for the 5.0/5.8 This cam has a duration of 284/290 intake/exh and a .533 lift intake .544 lift exh. Its a nice cam for the car and you can hear it in the idle of my car.
As far as the diff in the Lighting/Cobra R engines, its real slight. Actually the Lightning engine is way underrated at 240. I have the old 90s ford motorsport catalogs and the Lightning shortblock in there is advertised at 310 HP with GT40 induction, which is what the Lightning had. So there maybe only 20 HP difference between the R and the Lightning, due to a diff comp ratio and a little better cam in the R. They had the same heads, lower intake, and headers. Upper intake was diff where the tubular GT40 piece on the Lightning made more torque, and the Cobra intake on the R made a lil more hp.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Saleens used the Lightning block until they were used up, around 98. The 99 Saleen S351s used the beefier 351 sportsman block like in my car. Saleen also used alum Edelbrock heads til 96 then switched over to Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. In N/A trim the S351 made 400hp, the Vortech cars made 495. They used a Lightning lower intake, and 93 Cobra upper. The cam is a roller cam and they varied from year to year. Its really close to a comp cams 284 HR blower cam for the 5.0/5.8 This cam has a duration of 284/290 intake/exh and a .533 lift intake .544 lift exh. Its a nice cam for the car and you can hear it in the idle of my car.
As far as the diff in the Lighting/Cobra R engines, its real slight. Actually the Lightning engine is way underrated at 240. I have the old 90s ford motorsport catalogs and the Lightning shortblock in there is advertised at 310 HP with GT40 induction, which is what the Lightning had. So there maybe only 20 HP difference between the R and the Lightning, due to a diff comp ratio and a little better cam in the R. They had the same heads, lower intake, and headers. Upper intake was diff where the tubular GT40 piece on the Lightning made more torque, and the Cobra intake on the R made a lil more hp.

very good info, but I read the n/a saleen s351 saleens were rated 370hp and 380hp @ the crank. not 400hp, the supercharged s351 like yours was rated 495hp @ the crank stock.

99BOSS

Established Member
In 94/95 the N/A S351 did make 371 hp and the Vortech blown cars were 480. These cars used the Edelbrock Performer heads. Starting in 96 Saleen switched to the twisted wedge head which added approx 20-25 hp to these engines. So in 96 the N/A S351 was rated at 400 and the Vortech cars were 500-510 depending on the year. Saleen dropped the N/A S351 after 2 years and from 97-99 all the S351s were Vortech equipped. Heres a link to a article I scanned that I posted on a Saleen site. It goes into this in great detail.....

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=12513

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread