447 CI + 8 Throttle Bodies = Giggity

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Top notch build but not my cup of tea.

I was more interested in the engine than the car and to be honest.. not too impressed with the numbers

627HP from 447ci = 1.40HP per ci

BOSS 302 from the factory = 1.47HP per ci
(just for comparison)

Adiabatik

Banned

I was more interested in the engine than the car and to be honest.. not too impressed with the numbers

(just for comparison)

Do you happen to own a Honda?

ZWilson07

Established Member
..waits for the 'power under the curve' quote..

I know the hp/tq to ci ratio may not be right on par with some newer style motors and maybe it's just me, but honestly a NA windsor style motor putting out that much is pretty damn stout. :shrug:

Even the 427w I talked with Woody through FordStrokers to be put together for me was going to be right above 600 which equates to around 1.4 per ci as well; I can promise you it wasn't just run of the mill parts either. An I would be willing to bet that Woody can build a SBF just as good as anyone. So I think "for the most part" that is just about all your going to see out of a very well built NA windsor style motor.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Love that Mustang and would love to drive it just once. Sounds ridiculously awesome! Getting pulled over by the cop and then not being able to find the VIN was funny. But that stretched Hummer at the end almost made me spit out my coffee. LOL!

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I know the hp/tq to ci ratio may not be right on par with some newer style motors and maybe it's just me, but honestly a NA windsor style motor putting out that much is pretty damn stout. :shrug:

When you say 'newer style motors' I can only assume you're referring to my BOSS 302 comparison. Keep in mind, the BOSS 302 is a MASS PRODUCED engine from a FACTORY. Not a one-off engine that is purpose built for a customer.

Even the 427w.. right above 600 which equates to around 1.4 per ci as well; So I think "for the most part" that is just about all your going to see out of a very well built NA windsor style motor.

That depends on who you're talking to. Personally, I use 2.0HP per ci as a benchmark. The retired NMRA class known as 'Hot Street' was hovering around 2.25(900HP 400ci) for an all out race motor. But for a street application, I could see 1.75 as a respectable number.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Pretty sweet car, it looks like a fun driver for sure!

I do agree with deadpres, hp/ci is a good measure of an n/a build. This one seems to be a mild one for sure. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rock it though!

Thanks for sharing.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Who the heck cares about hp/displacement besides Honduh boys?

Who do you think will win in a race between a fancy 240hp 2.0L S2000 engine pushing 120hp/L vs. a 505hp 7.0L LS7 engine with a lowly 72hp/L all else being equal (same car, same weight, same drivertrain, same driver etc)?

I'll take that engine 447ci engine over a boss 302 engine any day.

Let me guess.. 'Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races' LOL

Does hp/L win races?

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Who the heck cares about hp/displacement besides Honduh boys?

Hmm.. I don't know? Maybe a professional engine builder that tries to squeeze every last HP out of 500 cubic inches(NHRA Pro Stock) FOR A LIVING. That's just a wild guess, though..

Who do you think will win in a race between a fancy 240hp 2.0L S2000 engine pushing 120hp/L vs. a 505hp 7.0L LS7 engine with a lowly 72hp/L all else being equal (same car, same weight, same drivertrain, same driver etc)?

Stupid question is stupid.

Does hp/L win races?

Watch this video. You might learn a thing or two..

[youtube_browser]CxK0x7AE3s8[/youtube_browser]
Formula 1 vs NASCAR. Horsepower vs Torque. This video helps answer some frequently asked questions. What if an engine has more horsepower than torque? What if an engine has more torque than horsepower? The important figure to look at is horsepower, as ultimately it's the determining factor in acceleration. This can be seen by comparing two very different engines, a high torque NASCAR engine, and a low torque Formula 1 engine.

hammerhead2

Established Member

(just for comparison)

I don't know all the details on his motor build but would assume its not real aggressive for a street car setup. Generally speaking most people with 400-450ci small block street motors are making 500-600hp so he is on the upper side of that actually. The 8 stack doesn't really do much of anything for adding HP and can often lose power to a good 4bbl style setup (though it does typically pick up throttle response and torque). Also the new Boss motor you mention is an DOHC engine with twin independant variable valve timing and stock head that flows a little over 320cfm (more than most performance aftermarket Windsor/SBF heads do). Its not really comparing apples to apples to say the least. Generally speaking if you make about 1.5HP per ci on a NA street build you've done quite well actually.

By the way OP sweet build!!

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I'm guessing it's a mild build and it's running on 91 california piss. Throw in a more aggressive cam, better heads and some E85 it'll wake up a lot. Also I'm not a fan of that tranny. Throw a traditional viper spec T56 in it and call it a day.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I do agree with deadpres, hp/ci is a good measure of an n/a build.

I don't know how I skipped over this but I'm glad someone else understands my point of view.

It's only stupid when you don't like the answer.

Apples to oranges.

You're comparing 240HP to 505HP. Anyone with a brain would pick 505HP to win a race wise guy.

Lets use a better example..

Engine 1: 427ci 505HP (1.18)
Engine 2: 427ci 605HP (1.42)

Which one would you bet on?

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Also the new Boss motor you mention is an DOHC engine with twin independant variable valve timing and stock head that flows a little over 320cfm (more than most performance aftermarket Windsor/SBF heads do). Its not really comparing apples to apples to say the least. Generally speaking if you make about 1.5HP per ci on a NA street build you've done quite well actually.

No, I completely understand your argument. It was just a random comparison since this is a FORD forum. I could have used a Ferrari V12 but that would have blown the 1.40 measurement out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread