5 or 6 pt harnesses, and stock Cobra Seats..

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've always been told that smart Nascar racers let go of the wheel once complete control of the car is lost and they head for the wall. I hear they are supposed to cross their arms across their chest and hang on. If not arms can get broken.

And removing your hands from the steering wheel in open-wheelers right before hitting anything to keep your wrists from getting broken. There's just so much to remember when everything's going wrong. :rolleyes:

David Hester

Established Member
25 years of racing cars and I've only crashed one. Broke all kinds of bones racing bikes, though. Reason I started cars.
Formula Ford off course and through a fence.
When I realized I was going to hit, I did tuck my head- thought if I go under the fence it's going to rip my face off-, but held on to steering wheel. Had ALL through 3 pedals as far as they would go- not much room in a formula car- as I got airborne.
Didn't help I still hit.
I have had a couple of offs where I tucked my hands in my shoulder belts when I thought I was going to hit.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
25 years of racing cars and I've only crashed one. Broke all kinds of bones racing bikes, though. Reason I started cars.
Formula Ford off course and through a fence.
When I realized I was going to hit, I did tuck my head- thought if I go under the fence it's going to rip my face off-, but held on to steering wheel. Had ALL through 3 pedals as far as they would go- not much room in a formula car- as I got airborne.
Didn't help I still hit.
I have had a couple of offs where I tucked my hands in my shoulder belts when I thought I was going to hit.

Those are experiences I prefer to only read about. Thanks.:beer:

PS: per the echo syndrome, I felt it needed repeating. IE: no bar w/race belts, within post#9 it seemed to have gotten missed.:thumbsup:

I use 5 points in the race car, but did use a 5 point with my old stock FoxGT seats. I just ran the extra strap behind the thigh bolster. My crotch strap is mounted to the floor in a straight line from my chest to the floor. You REALLY want to have all the straps in as straight a pull as you can. That's when they are strongest. I agree, 6 point, mount behind seat and sit on them, knowing you don't want to use them on the street without a rollbar minimum. In a roll your top CAN come down even with the window sill. Not good if you are being held bolt up right in the seat.

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Refer to the first post.

This is for autox only.
Is this car driven or trailered to the autox tracks? You never know when an accident can happen and I wouldn't want my head held up high just in the rare chance of a rollover. Better safe than sorry my mom always told me. :)

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The harness is only in use at the event. The stock belts are employed for everything else.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
...LOL

Because I have a dog, the harness is cleaner. Velcro and pet hair.....bad combo...

Users who are viewing this thread