95 cobra motor into a 90 lx?

RayC76

Established Member
Well my car is not a svt but the engine im taking is from one so... Does anybody know if a 95 cobra motor will fit into a 90 lx? I have a chance to buy a complete assembly, and i know the upper intake and accessories wont work but will mine bolt up from my car? Also the fan should bolt up to the water pump pulley using my bolts, i think. Anything else?

A friend of mine John(94cobra) said maybe i should make a post here as im not having much luck on other boards. So any info would be appreciated.

Thank you, Ray.

RayC76

Established Member
John i discussed this earlier and figured the heads can be swapped and the block is the same, but its the little things. Like are the motor mounts in the same location? The sensors on the lower intake? The water pump pulley? I wouldn't see a problem with the flywheel or bell housing to block bolts, or would I? lol, ive been thinking about this all night, time to go to bed. Keep any feedback coming guys. Thanks, Ray.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I think the 93's have a different K member than the 94-95's. That might put the mounts in a different place. The Cobra intakes are the same except for the elbow used in the 95 - 95 applications to clear the strut tower. All the connections should be in close proximity on the Cobra intake. I have a friend that swapped his intakes out to Cobra styles in his 92. Greg tells me it went in without a hitch.

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
I don't think it will be a problem. The intake is a little different than the 93 besides the elbow, because of the throttle cable placement compared to the 93 and lower. The TPS, IACV is also different than the 93 and lower not to mention the throttle body.
Also, The tranny's will swap without problems, along with bell housings, clutch, driveshafts, so I can't see how the motor mounts would change when all the above is the same for both cars.
later
john

RayC76

Established Member
Re: 94-95 tranny

Originally posted by stronghimiler
I thought the 94-95 t-5 had longer input shafts? Also the poer steering pump and A/C compressor are swapped positions in 94-95 cars.

The ac and the rest of the accessories will be used from my car although i have never heard of the input shafts being different.

Ray

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by 94cobra
The tranny's will swap without problems, along with bell housings, clutch, driveshafts, so I can't see how the motor mounts would change when all the above is the same for both cars.
later
john

Not to split hairs but, the tranny,clutch and drive shaft don't bolt down to the K member. I know the K member from the 93 and lower cars is different than the 94-95 cars. Not sure if the motor mount placement is different, but it is something that needs to be checked. :)

Users who are viewing this thread