96-98 powerband

pipeliner

Established Member
I need to know if there is anyway to move the powerband more towards the lower RPMS. The 96-98 has no low end grunt. I need low end grunt!!!

Btw needs to be close to stock only mods that can be done are:

Intake
ECU
exhuast
and 355 gears

Last edited:

pipeliner

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
If you want low end sell the 4v and buy something else.

Good point as I dont own one yet. I should of restated the question as I need a car with a flat power band from about 2k up. Im not looking for max power just a flat power band.

Could the intake runners be lengthed? Could more velocity in airflow be made to move it foward?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Get a 2v, they have low end but no power up top. The only real way to get low end from the 4v is with a positive displacement blower.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Get a 2v, they have low end but no power up top. The only real way to get low end from the 4v is with a positive displacement blower.

No they don't. If you want a flat power curve from 2k up, try a powerstroke diesel.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
CY98Cobra said:
my 97 gt had zero low end...til i added the 3.73s... 2v don't have any low end...no more than a 4v.
pipeliner....why would you go with 3.55s? thats more of a gear for 5.0 cobras.... the 4v need AT LEAST a 4.10 i mean, after all they came stock with 3.27s...so why only bump up to 3.55s? thats a waste of cash. :bash:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The 2v does have more low end then the 4v. My girlfriend has a 99GT and it pulls alot better than mine below 4000rpm. The don't have big block low end but they do have more than the 4v. I'm talking about the 99+ GT's, not the anemic 96-98's.

pipeliner

Established Member
badass98svt said:
my 97 gt had zero low end...til i added the 3.73s... 2v don't have any low end...no more than a 4v.
pipeliner....why would you go with 3.55s? thats more of a gear for 5.0 cobras.... the 4v need AT LEAST a 4.10 i mean, after all they came stock with 3.27s...so why only bump up to 3.55s? thats a waste of cash. :bash:

Street prepared rules in SCCA. I cant have a legal car if it has anything bigger then 3.55s

My other options are

03/04 Cobra= Fat ass pig
95 Cobra R=GOing for to much money right now
2000 Cobra R= Way to much money
94/95 Cobra= Not enough balls

if the Mustang isnt going to work im going to buy a Chevy, and I cant stand chevys

MidNight Snake

Established Member
pipeliner said:
Street prepared rules in SCCA. I cant have a legal car if it has anything bigger then 3.55s

My other options are

03/04 Cobra= Fat ass pig
95 Cobra R=GOing for to much money right now
2000 Cobra R= Way to much money
94/95 Cobra= Not enough balls

if the Mustang isnt going to work im going to buy a Chevy, and I cant stand chevys

A bolt on 03/04 cobra will outrun any of those other cars in any arena.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
03/04 cobra= fat ass pig? um....12.9 stock on street tires...yup thats reaaaally slow...rrrrrrrrright

pipeliner

Established Member
badass98svt said:
03/04 cobra= fat ass pig? um....12.9 stock on street tires...yup thats reaaaally slow...rrrrrrrrright

Read the damn posts please. FOR WHAT I WANT THE CAR TO DO IT IS A FAT ASS PIG.

I never said the car was slow. To much weight in the wrong parts of the car. The 03/04 would never be competative with a 1le Camaro putting 400 ponys to the pavement.

pottsy

Established Member
I've done auto-x for a while and the Cobras work fine out there... Mustangs can be competitive in ESP, the biggest hurting you'll take is from not having subframes and the steep gears. There isn't much low end grunt, but if you're a good driver you'll be able to keep the car in the powerband most of the time anyway. The brakes are great for auto-x, with some proper upgrades you'll have absolutely NO issues with them out there.

That said, I think the f-body is slightly the overall better option for near-stock classes of SCCA solo II, the suspension design is better and there's plenty of low end grunt which does help if you're on racing rubber. You just have to be able to live with the rest of the car...

pottsy

Established Member
pipeliner said:

I agree, don't go the 03/04 route...the cars feel a lot heavier than they are, and that's not a good thing when you're literally trying to toss it through a slalom.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
pipeliner said:

The 03/04 would never be competative with a 1le Camaro putting 400 ponys to the pavement.

Put on a 2.76 pulley kit, Jlt intake, x pipe and a catback. Thats about 1000 bucks give or take. Then come back and chat some more and tell us "how piggish" thay really are. :idea:

byeofcr

Established Member
get a 87-93 and send it to griggs...

ive seen a assload of those cars hooked up to the balls that are very competive on the circuit with the right suspension and a motor that is built for that racing, it would still be cheaper then buying a new car.

ive read somewhere that the cars have to have x amount of hp per pound.. something like that.. correct me if im wrong, i go in straight lines

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
Put on a 2.76 pulley kit, Jlt intake, x pipe and a catback. Thats about 1000 bucks give or take. Then come back and chat some more and tell us "how piggish" thay really are. :idea:
Ok if you have ever autocrossed there are rulebooks about what you can and cannot do. For the class he is running (someone mentioned esp) he would not be able to run with those mods. I dont think he was saying that they are slow i think he meant they just werent right for the application he needed. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread