99 Cobra

Ga99Cobra

Established Member
I am a proud new owner of a 99 Mustang Cobra. I have a question for all who might know. I have read about a horsepower problem with the 99' motor. How do I know if my 99' was affected or if it was fixed? If it is down on HP is there anyway I can get it fixed? It pulls hard to me but I am coming out of an 89' Firebird with a TBI injected 305, so not much of a comparison anyways.

Ga99Cobra

Established Member
I called Ford about it today and they said that they had nothing in there computers about my car being fixed. Does anyone know if this fix will cost me anything or since it is a factory defect is it fixed for free? What parts are changed in the fix? Anyone have any suggestions on dealers in Georgia that will do the job?

REDLYNE

Established Member
Did you call SVT specifically? 1-800-ford-svt
They're supposed to be able to check if you've had the fix by running your VIN.

Youc an check for yoursel by looking for these:

* "BA" Intake manifold (letters "BA" stamped on a flat boss near the alternator bracket to intake bolt)

* "JA" Calibration sticker on under-side of hood(new sticker should read "YR3F-12A650-JA)

* "7509" Mufflers ("7509" stamped on each muffler can)

* Tow paint dots on your upper intake. 1 black, 1 green or blue

NOTE: Everyone has the 7509 mufflers...but not everyone has the sticker, the dots, AND the BA stamp.

For example, I have a green dot and a black dot....the sticker...but no BA stamp (or at least I haven't found it yet). Another guy I knows has the dots, BA stamp, but no sticker. :) Most likely your has had the work done.

Ga99Cobra

Established Member
Yes I did call Ford specifically. They ran my VIN number and did not find that the work had been done. I went to a dealer this morning and talked to them about it. The guy that knows what to do was out to lunch so I am going back tomorrow to find out what is going on. I have a couple of questions though.

Is this a warranty issue or does it matter? I would think that it is a factory defect and that is should be fixed no matter if it is still under warranty!

If it is not fixable under warranty would it be better to just go get aftermarket parts or is it better to get the SVT parts? What parts will they have to repair/replace to get it up to spec?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am new to the Mustang world and I want what I paid for!!

quick99snake

Established Member
It was actually a recall, and if I remeber correctly there was a time limit on getting it done, but I imagine you could find a dealer that would still do it under recall.
BTW, I don't think anyone has an aftermarket intake for the 99-up, just ported stockers.

Users who are viewing this thread