A few questions about paxton install

stewarts2008

Established Member
Ok, so the 5.0 is getting ready to go under the knife soon and I had a few questions that I want to get answered before hand to try to avoid any snags during the actual install.

1) on the vortech uni BAP, do i need to solder the connections, or does this kit just crimp on? Whats the best way to make sure i have a good connection and the proper voltage is running?

2) Spark Plugs..... just got them in today. My socket set has a spark plug socket, but i also read that a 9/16 deep socket would do the trick. How long of an extension do i need for my ratchet to actually get the spark plugs out? I have a 1ft and 3inch extension.

3) I couldnt find stepless pliers at lowes today.... I think the hoses connecting to the new coolant tank require this.... do i just need to keep searching, or is there another way to crimp them down?

What are other snags that you guys have run into during the install? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

alex12gt

Established Member
1. You should solder those connections
2.Id say just use the 1fter
3. Ive always just used channel locks but am going to switch all mine to ss worm gear style

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
1. donno sorry still waiting on my kit from beefcake
2. a 3/8id rubber hose about 8" long is your best friend. use a socket to loosen the plugs and then push the rubber hose on the sparkplug and twist out..reverse the put them in. this also acts as a safety to not cross thread the plugs. as far as the size i cant remember or the extensions i used but DO NOT use a plug socket with the rubber in it. it can get stuck on the plug and then you gotta fish it out. sucks.
3. if i cant find any i am just gonna use some normal hose clamps in the mean time.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Make sure you disconnect the battery, if you haven't done so already, for the spark plug swap. I've heard of guys hitting their wrench on one of the terminals or something and blowing a fuse - all while swapping out the spark plugs.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Make sure you disconnect the battery, if you haven't done so already, for the spark plug swap. I've heard of guys hitting their wrench on one of the terminals or something and blowing a fuse - all while swapping out the spark plugs.

oh yea for sure unhook your battery, i arched my watchet on the fuse thing and it knocks out the steering and adance trac stuff if you blow the fuse.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
They make a spark plug socket without the rubber boot.. but has a magnet welded inside.. it's pretty nifty and I only paid like $6 for mine at my local auto parts store.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Definitely disconnect the battery.

Toss a Reische 170 t-stat in there while you are at it.

Get a reputable tuner.

Solder all connections.

Inventory everything when you get the kit. I was missing stuff but between Beefcake and the rep's at Paxton I got it all in a timely manner. I had my missing parts over nighted.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
Ok, so the 5.0 is getting ready to go under the knife soon and I had a few questions that I want to get answered before hand to try to avoid any snags during the actual install.

1) on the vortech uni BAP, do i need to solder the connections, or does this kit just crimp on? Whats the best way to make sure i have a good connection and the proper voltage is running?

2) Spark Plugs..... just got them in today. My socket set has a spark plug socket, but i also read that a 9/16 deep socket would do the trick. How long of an extension do i need for my ratchet to actually get the spark plugs out? I have a 1ft and 3inch extension.

3) I couldnt find stepless pliers at lowes today.... I think the hoses connecting to the new coolant tank require this.... do i just need to keep searching, or is there another way to crimp them down?

What are other snags that you guys have run into during the install? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Beefcake will help you with any and all questions. Seems most have been answered here though.

busarich

Established Member
Solder connections and I put rubber mounts under the bap when I mounted it. I used a normalspark plug socket without a issue. As for the clamps I replaced them all with worm gear clamps.

stewarts2008

Established Member
Solder connections and I put rubber mounts under the bap when I mounted it. I used a normalspark plug socket without a issue. As for the clamps I replaced them all with worm gear clamps.

did you just pick them up from autozone or something? how many did you get?

pohnjarker

Established Member
the kit comes with yellow connectors to crimp on but solder is the best option

1ft extension is what i used. then used a magnetic wand to pull them out since the rubber boot inside the socket was gone. nice and ghetto...lol

i got my stepless pliars at autozone but it came in a cheap little kit. worked out great.

Users who are viewing this thread