A notched tensioner (pics & info)

dynobobstieg

I inform (share information) on what I know works and does not effect longevity of the unit.
I do not force anyone to take our recommendations, this is your choice.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I did this with a screw driver back when I first installed my 2.8...seems to work!!!

Later...Dave

RussZTT

Established Member
I really don't see how this helps. Having a shorter belt only moves the tensioner pulley up higher, it still has the same pressure on the blower pulley no matter where the pulley on the tensioner is.
I did this to mine and the pressure on the belt is still the same.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I really don't see how this helps. Having a shorter belt only moves the tensioner pulley up higher, it still has the same pressure on the blower pulley no matter where the pulley on the tensioner is.
I did this to mine and the pressure on the belt is still the same.

This is not correct. Most springs are progressive, and have more resistance as they get wound tighter. Actually, there was a guy on here that actually tested the tension with a scale of some sort, and proved that the tension does increase as it moves toward (and beyond) the stop.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
So by notching the tensioner you can run a 1/2" shorter belt........well no , you just allowed the tensioner to travel an extra 1/2". You are not doing anything else.

There is no point to doing this. The tensioner is supposed to be able to move when the motor revs. If you have belt slip notching the tensioner does not help elimtate it.........non slip pulleys, belt dressing and an auxilary idler eliminate belt slip.

:nonono:

not true in my case. there are weird versions of certain lengths of belts, and the belt i was using would not get tight enough, and the step down was TOO tight. so i notched the tensioner to get it on and wallah. the tensioner still moves when the motor revs just fine.

KurtDog

Established Member
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but here goes.

I've been having a hell of a time with belt slip, its driving me crazy. I have a stieg stage 5 port, a 2.76 upper, 3-100 idlers, and one 90 snout idler. I have tried numerous belt sizes, changing bearings, changing the tensioner and adding a tensioner plate. Nothing has stoped my squeeking.

When I put the 74.5" gates belt on it is very hard to get on. When I put the belt on, the tensioner is almost hitting the stop. I'm guessing that just notching the tensioner will help a bit by allowing it to travel further under load. I've already ordered a 74" belt and will try that once I get it.

Thanks for a great writeup, I was out of ideas and at my wits end. This give me some hope. :beer:

Ironhand

Banned
With a 2.76 or 2.80 upper, I always put the 100mm idler on the snout.

Which bracket do you have? I had a 2.8 upper, with a RR 100mm idler on a UPR bracket and it worked quiet well.

Try it and post back with results.

KurtDog

Established Member
Which bracket do you have?

I have Division X. I ordered Metco and they were out so I just took the Division's as I needed them asap to replace the bad stockers.

I tried switching the top left idler and the snout idler, but the bolt is stripped. The bolt has a tiny hex hole and the guy who put them in either didnt use anti-seze or over torqued them. It was not coming off.

Either way I think the slipping is coming from the tensioner. When I'm wot and building psi it dosent make any belt noise. Then when I let off it squeeks really bad as well as in middle rps.

If the notching and smaller belt dosent work out, I'll try to replace the bolt and switch the pulleys.

I'll let you know what happens.

Ironhand

Banned
Switch the pulleys. Its basically free since you have the parts now. I ran a 2.80 upper for several years with very little slip using the configuration I posted.

Notching the tensioner and running a shorter belt is stupid. Your applying to much tension on the blower snout causing the rear of the rotors to induce pressure on the rear bearings. I killed one eaton by doing this, so that is how I know.

Focus on belt wrap rather then pressure. Surface area on the pulley will help out a great deal.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I would change the brand of pulley you have. Are you running a nonslip pulley?

If your getting a squeaking I would think its from a misalignment. Its fairly rare to get a squeak out of belt slip, just excessive belt dust.

Users who are viewing this thread