About to rebuild my 8.8.... school me real quick like.

97cobra1

Established Member
Like the title says, next week i'm dropping it off to get it redone.

First, what power levels are the 28 splines good for, and what level do i need to look into a 31 spline setup?

I plan on bumping up to 4.10s (from 3.73s) doing a frpp diff cover and...

my next question is, carbon fiber friction plates, i know they come in the 31 spline carrier(for the cobras), did the 97 cobras come with the CF plates in our 28 spline carriers?

Do i need to replace them?

I've been told that a 28 spline setup will be enough for my plans for the car, but i wanted to get the opinions of people who are more knowledgeable than who i've talked to.

And for fun, anyone who jumped from 373s to 410s how much more did you like them? i still have my imrcs installed.

stangbanger856

Established Member
I always like to buy parts to help support my future plans with the car. So in.that case what are your plans with it? Power adder?

And no the stock 97 diff didn't come with CF clutches but I would deff get them for yours if you stay 28 spline. Gears are also dependent on your plans. My car had 4.30s when I got it and I just switched to 3.73s so I can keep the car in 4 threw the traps at the track. (Was shifting to 5th at the 1000ft mark).

If your staying N/A I would just keep the stock axles, add the CF clutch pack to your stock diff, 4.10 or 4.30 gears and call it a day. Maybe weld the axle tubes if you have the time and cash. Its not needed at that power level but just nice to know it there.

97cobra1

Established Member
also, i intend to keep it as a fun car, it wont be seeing the track a lot. im just building a fun srteet car (as of now, we all know how that goes)

epracmetcon

Established Member
Stock 28's or aftermarket axles? Aftermarket you should be ok, but if it were me I would step up to 31's. You can pick up a rebuilt 31 dif for around $100.

And go with the most gear you feel comfortable with. If it is too much you can always step up the tire size to compensate.

EDIT: BTW, I ran 4.56's with a 150shot and a 28" tall tire and was around 6400 rpms. It was a riot on the street with
the 26" tall street tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread