Acceptable mph over speed limit before getting nabbed?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I love sarcasm. :pepper:

+1 On the highway I allow up to 14mph over the limit, 15 and over and you're fair game to see lights behind you.

You mean to say you aren't allowed to do 20 over the posted limit? DAMN- good thing you told me- whew:lol:

On a serious note (showing that everyplace and individual cops are indeed different) A local NC LEO told me that they usually hold to the "4-7 rule". That is 4 over in town and 7 over on the highway/interstate and you SHOULD be ok. But then again he also said it's YOUR lic and insurance that will be adversely affected- not his, so take a chance if you want to.

000hp03

I'm full of SHIT!
Established Member
*edited by moderator - read the rules before posting again*

When I get pulled over, its usually for 30 or 40mph over the speed limit, every time..if im gonna speed, im gonna do it good hehe. I cant do 65 or 70, its just too slow. I've hit 100mph every day for the past 2 years and in some cases, i hold it there for miles.

LSUstang05

Established Member
To answer the OP, I have never had an issue with 8mph over. I usually cruise at 78mph in a 70mph zone on I-10 between Baton Rouge and Houston.

Also, If I'm driving the speed limit on the highway and someone decides to pass me, they are getting pulled over.

The only safe bet is to do the speed limit.

If you were going 5 under the limit and they decided to pass you, would you still pull them over? I personally hate when police go under the speed limit and expect you to not pass them. I usually end up passing them while going the speed limit. Would you still pull somebody over for that? (not trying to flame, just kinda curious)

twhitey

Established Member
I pass city of Tampa police on i275 north of bearss it's not their area. In the loud blue cobra I do 5 or so over. In the full size truck 10 or 15.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
If you were going 5 under the limit and they decided to pass you, would you still pull them over? I personally hate when police go under the speed limit and expect you to not pass them. I usually end up passing them while going the speed limit. Would you still pull somebody over for that? (not trying to flame, just kinda curious)

Why would I pull some one over for driving the speed limit?

STG

Banned
I have heard stories of friends getting tickets for 1-3mph over and when they went to court the judge was pissed at the cop for writing it. :shrug:

I had a CHP officer write me for 56MPH in a 55 - using a certified speedometer.

In court, I asked the officer about the certification. He replied +- 1 MPH.

The judge said something about the Highway Patrolman pounding a foot beat if he ever brought another 1 mile over ticket into his courtroom.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I think it has a lot to do with the true average speed on that stretch of road.

Down south on the turnpike, the speedlimit is 65, but the average speed has got to be close to 75ish. I typically leave the cruise on at about 75, but I've been up to almost 80 and haven't gotten yanked.

What I noticed on my recent drive to FL and back was that ford speedos are typically 1 or 2mph too high. I used the digital speedo on the tach, and I was consistently doing 1 to 2mph less than I figured.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I cant see how a cop would pull anyone over for doing 1 over the speed limit.. They must of had your car on the look out or something.. Even if they did write u a ticket, what would it be $20? My car is very loud and cammed, so i do 5 over comfortably and have no fear of gettin a ticket for speeding

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
In what of the many speed traps did they get you?

All I remember was Lorain County - I was commuting weekly between Detroit, Michigan and Youngstown, Ohio for a work assignment. When I questioned the infraction of 1 mph, he just laughed and said, "I got you. Pay up". He even had a credit card machine right there. All set up for business.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
I remember my ex and I were driving from cedar point to cleveland, traffic was backed up because a cop was going the speed limit. She just passed him at like 7-10mph faster and I was freaking out like wtf are you doing? Shes like what I do it all the time...

She has more balls than I do.

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
Tolerances have drop a little here since the gas hike and everyone was more conscience of their speed to increase mpg. I was told the revenue machine was taking quite a hit, so the local boys were informed to be less lenient.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Tolerances have drop a little here since the gas hike and everyone was more conscience of their speed to increase mpg. I was told the revenue machine was taking quite a hit, so the local boys were informed to be less lenient.

And of course, you have empirical data and competent references to back your claims up...

UncleAnt

Established Member
my favorite is the people who wont pass a cruiser even when there going under the limit.why be scared of them if your not doing anything wrong? i have loud exhaust, dark windows,tinted tails and i drive like a normal person right past cops and they dont bother me you know why? because im not being a reckless asshole. i usually stay 5 over or under just because i dont need the chance of getting a speeding ticket

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Is there an acceptable mph over the speed limit that an LEO usually won't pull you over? 5 mph? 6 mph? No buffer zone at all? Does the amount of traffic come into play? I do a ton of highway driving in the early morning and if no one is on the road I'll set the cruise to 75 (in a 70 mph zone). Just curious.

i don't think highway cops bother you as long as you're not going at least 10 or so over the limit. i usually set the cruise between 72-74 just to be safe though.

edit:

just to add- it's best not to speed in an economy such as this one. i recently read a study that concluded the amount of traffic citations increase during times of economic downturn.

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Depends on alot of factors...

Weather conditions
Amount of traffic
Residential area vs rural area
Small department vs Large one
Officers' personal limit

When I did patrol, I usually gave 11mph.

There are always exceptions though, such as school zones, etc. Also, If I'm driving the speed limit on the highway and someone decides to pass me, they are getting pulled over.

The only safe bet is to do the speed limit.

i always follow the cops that are doing 75-80 on the highway.

Hawaii-50

Established Member
What I noticed on my recent drive to FL and back was that ford speedos are typically 1 or 2mph too high. I used the digital speedo on the tach, and I was consistently doing 1 to 2mph less than I figured.

I noticed that also in my F150. Speedo says 70 and my GPS says 68.

Users who are viewing this thread