After 4 GT500s, I bought the track monster- and couldn't be happier

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
A couple of you have asked for my opinion after a month or so of ownership, and with the 13/14 GT500, I added a lot of input while owning two of those. Last year I bought a house, and took a small step back and bought an 11 GT500, and ordered my 16 GT350. So I'll attempt to compare and contrast the differences between the cars. But first for the noobs, some background:

I've now owned 9 mustangs, a 99 GT supercharged, a 96 Cobra Supercharged; a 96 Mystic Cobra, an 03 Kenne Bell Cobra, an 08 GT500, 13 PP GT500, 13 non-pp GT500, 11 PP GT500, and this GT350. Not to mention multiple other performance cars over the years. Full disclosure- we used to own a ford dealership, and were consolidated back when that all happened. I work on the outside looking in supporting the auto industry now, and have for 9 years. I have access to tons of vehicle data, and still have a few ins at ford. It's fun, but makes me look at buying and selling cars very differently than most buyers

Now that we have that out of the way: the car.

I'll admit, I actually wavered on this car more than any one ive ever bought. Do I take the step and buy a Porsche Turbo? What about a new viper? Hmm or do I want a V8 vantage with a manual? Should I maybe class it up a bit? I seriously had a hard time for months after I ordered the car. Knowing full well if I changed my mind, I would have no issue finding a buyer.

Would it have enough power for me? Was it special enough? Was i still a mustang guy? At somepoint in July, I got invited to the GT350 track tour on 10/1. Perfect. I can see and drive this thing and make my decision. This was perfect timing:

The night prior, I had my 11 GT500 in a movie shoot (fog city) on cape cod. And was out til probably 3am. Came home. Took a 2 hour nap, and drove 3 hours to Lime Rock.

9e85b51e403d5fe3704f86772d9a036e.jpg

2d6b536ecd7d134b5206c19e7c5658c3.jpg

When I got there, they were testing the cars on track. That. Sound. Wow. Intoxicating.

f8bddb5efb0cf48385437d9577f53ec2.jpg

So, it was my turn. I hopped in a black R. Got in, and took it out on the track. After one lap. I was sold. The power delivery. The brakes. The seats! Holy crap the Recaro seats!

5e6999e27f308dbc3886af5f6ebc1e1a.jpg

Now at this point, my order was Avalanche Gray. Tech pack, and black roof. But then I saw the Gray/blue stripe car. And i had to have it. I also had to have the track pack, because of the recaros. I texted my dealer while I was there and made the order change .
acda5f2673b558118b43211b616fa1ba.jpg

Fast forward to the last week in feb. I get a text from the delivering dealer with just a pic of the car in the showroom. I was away on business. But came back the next day to see it.

db287d0b7e109111888cb7d534c4286f.jpg

They prepped it, I got the paper work settled with the selling dealer, and took the car home. And promptly sat in Boston traffic for 3 hours for what should have been a 35 minute drive. But- I got to spend the time in traffic playing with settings and talking with seemingly every kid and dude around me in traffic about the car. (The car is a not a chick magnet, but I'm all set in that dept).

So about that- this car is an attention whore. I cannot go anywhere without thumbs up, photos being taken on the road. Kids in SN95 mustangs wants to race (lol!) and being stopped at every gas station. Waves from other mustang owners and nods from Camaro and corvette guys. Honestly- I've owned a lot of these cars and none of them got the attention this car does. The exotic car guys all love it and respect it. In fact, a group of them pulled into a local car meetup. And they all came over to check this car out.

efa3c01bcb4a243264e63e0ed75c129d.jpg

The drive- the car is so planted. It wants to
Correct your mistakes. The S197 cars, they always tried to murder you. The suspension is an absolute marvel and inspires so much confidence! The tires are sticky. These should have been on the GT500 instead of the shit good years. The shifter is like butter. Best shifter in a mustang I've ever felt. It's a bit gutless under 3k rpm. But if you know how to keep the car in the right gear, you'll never not have the punch when you need it. It is fast. It's just keeps pulling and pulling. My buddy who has a new M4, which was door to door with my 11 GT500 on a couple quick pulls. Fell back on a couple quick pulls in this car. It's not a big neck snapping brute like the 13. But it's as fast if not faster than my 11 was. No need for anymore power.

I have zero fit and finish issues what so ever. I have a small rattle in the console. That I can hear everyonce in a while. But that's the only issue.

The stereo sucks. Not having Sirius sucks. But if I was keeping the far long term. $1k and and afternoon would fix that.

This is probably my last mustang, and it's the best one yet. Bar none. As usual, I'll
Probably sell it the end of the year or early next year. And am happy to see that values on the used market are still propped up as I expected

If you're on the fence. Buy one. I was. I did. And couldn't be happier.

Happy to answer any questions that I can

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad you enjoy it. Jim's is getting built the end of May, so hopefully you'll share until then :coolman:

krt22

Established Member
Very nice write up. Im willing to bet the GT350 will be my last modern mustang as well, but I don't think I will ever sell this one. =)

evolve

Established Member
Seen one near my workplace here in MD the other day. Amazing car! Gave the guy a wave and he returned it. VERY nice car indeed.

CO Mack

Established Member
Love the colors you chose. I've wanted to paint my 92' LX gray for years, that would've been my second choice on the GT350 (and still will be what I paint the 92 when I get around to it).

I cannot believe the amount of attention these cars get, mine is blue and it's still nuts. I can't imagine what the red guys get.

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
Congrats Chris! The car sounds amazing.
I will be getting one in the next month or so and I'm undecided between the Avalanche Gray with black stripes and a black roof or just a solid black.
I haven't seen the Avalanche Gray in person. Does it appear to be on the lighter or darker side? The shot in the dealer appears slightly darker.
Thanks,
Rob

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP, reading posts like this makes me 2nd guess my decision to save up for a Viper.

The only selling point for me on this is it is almost literally half the price of a Gen V Viper TA. Actually, that is #2, the main selling point is how much better it is compared to the previous mustangs. Better brakes, better handling, better tires, better sound, better shifter, better interior, IRS. Whats not to like? :coolman:

Thank you for your detailed post, I thought you would have gotten an R model!!!!

Btw, the company my bro works for was bought out by reyrey, do you use their software, or did you?

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Chris! said:
This is probably my last mustang

I read this and stopped for a moment.

Chris, you look like you're still young. When I read that I could almost hear the voice of a wise old man that is paring down his assets in preparation for death, speak.

As much as you noted some "higher end" cars that you might have considered, I sense you are saying that you're getting to old for the Mustang culture (you sure have owned enough of them). Or are you looking for more refinement/luxury?

Sincerely,

Baffled in Belize

;-)

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Congrats Chris!
I haven't seen the Avalanche Gray in person. Does it appear to be on the lighter or darker side? The shot in the dealer appears slightly darker.
Thanks,
Rob
Thank you! It definately is lighter in the sun, and darker out of it. I love the color. It's pretty much the 1st compliment I get on the car every time too.

Looks awesome Chris! Congrats and get out and enjoy it!

Thanks! 1451 miles in a month!

OP, reading posts like this makes me 2nd guess my decision to save up for a Viper.

The only selling point for me on this is it is almost literally half the price of a Gen V Viper TA. Actually, that is #2, the main selling point is how much better it is compared to the previous mustangs. Better brakes, better handling, better tires, better sound, better shifter, better interior, IRS. Whats not to like? :coolman:

Thank you for your detailed post, I thought you would have gotten an R model!!!!

Btw, the company my bro works for was bought out by reyrey, do you use their software, or did you?

I would have liked an R. But I would have had to pay a small markup. And I paid under MSRP for this one. So, I went this route. I couldn't source an R, even with my connections under MSRP. But I don't think I need it anyways

I was a Reynolds customer. And have access to some of their data now

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I read this and stopped for a moment.

Chris, you look like you're still young. When I read that I could almost hear the voice of a wise old man that is pairing down his assets in preparation for death, speak.

As much as you noted some "higher end" cars that you might have considered, I sense you are saying that you're getting to old for the Mustang culture (you sure have owned enough of them). Or are you looking for more refinement/luxury?

Sincerely,

Baffled in Belize

;-)

I'm 31. I definitely have gotten to the point where I want something with a little luxury and comfort. I've also owned so many of these things (and 4 Taurus SHOs before that!). I think I just want to try some thing different.

Doesn't mean I don't love this car, I do. But I love em and leave em (cars). :)

Thankfully, I am not dying (that I know of), so it's not for that reason!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
veErMRO.gif

Chris, this old fart just wants to say that he enjoyed reading your review, as always.

Users who are viewing this thread