Aftermarket idler pullies with stock blower pulley

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
Will it work? we have one here at the dealership and my service manager wants me to get all the pullies straightend out. i got a upper pulley for 46 shipped and just was curious if aftermarket idlers will work with a stock upper or not?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm just a bit confused about your question. You're asking if you can use aftermarket idlers with a stock upper pulley, but then you mention getting an upper pulley for $46. What specifically does your dealer have there? An aftermarket idler? If so, which one? And are you keeping the stock upper or replacing it with a smaller upper? If so, what size is it?

Actually the stock idlers are not all that great and we've seen a few blow apart/fail. So IMO replacing the stock idlers makes good sense. Adding an auxiliary idler using the stock upper is fine to do, too, but it won't serve any real purpose since belt slip with the stock upper isn't likely to be an issue. But if you are adding a smaller upper pulley then an auxiliary idler will help, depending on the size of the new upper pulley.

Can you provide more details if I haven't answered your question?

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
what happend is the customer brought in the car with a smaller pulley and no tune. needless to say the engine blew up and we are replacing it well the customer wants a warranty on the motor. we are putting it back to stock for him so that we can include a warranty on the motor. i purchased off of ebay a stock pulley to replace the aftermarket one for $46. the car has aftermarket idler pullies on it. they are a pair so i would assume the car would be fine with the aftermarket idlers and a stock pulley rather than finding stock idler pullies to replace it am i right?

venmos1

Established Member
i would think that if there is going to be a warranty on the motor the owner would want everything to be stock to avoid any issues in the future. aftermarket parts seem to be involved with a lot of warranty denials.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
Well if you put stock idlers back on, be sure to give him the aftermarket stuff back, he may want to "upgrade" in the future, and why have to buy another set, when you already have some. There should be three pulleys, stock had three idlers, and if he had an auxillary pulley it would be mounted near the blower snout on a bracket of some sort.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
240_Bullitt said:
what happend is the customer brought in the car with a smaller pulley and no tune. needless to say the engine blew up and we are replacing it well the customer wants a warranty on the motor. we are putting it back to stock for him so that we can include a warranty on the motor. i purchased off of ebay a stock pulley to replace the aftermarket one for $46. the car has aftermarket idler pullies on it. they are a pair so i would assume the car would be fine with the aftermarket idlers and a stock pulley rather than finding stock idler pullies to replace it am i right?
Ah, now I understand. Well, as noted above if the customer wants to be 100% safe then stock idlers should be installed. If you, as the dealer, leave the aftermarket idlers on the car and note that they are fine, and that they will not be an issue down the road, then I'd leave them. This is something you should definitely discuss with the customer. I will say that I have never heard of a dealer having any issue with aftermarket idlers. However, IF an aftermarket idler were to cause other damage to motor parts, most dealers wouldn't cover the repair. JMO.

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
the customer bought it modded and didnt get the stock parts and yes they will get the aftermarket stuff back and im sure they will reinstall it just hopefully they will be smart and get a tune put on it

Users who are viewing this thread