Agent Mulder reporting for duty

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice stuff!!
I love build threads like these. (I see you're a neat freak like me. LOL)

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Thanks for all the love folks. Here's another update!

Update!

So, after the extreme break I had to take, I could finally get the car home this weekend. I’ve been tooling around with it every so often and making small progress until Wednesday where I’ve finally gotten the car stripped down completely.

Finally, a garage of my own!

IMG_1518.jpg

On her way!

IMG_1628.jpg

Finally, home

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Unfortunately I lacked an air compressor at the time. But my trusty Pittsburg ½ breaker bar/ratchet took care of the stuck K member bolts and I snatched it all out on my own.

IMG_1646.jpg

I realized after further work that the car is already changing from my original thought. I’ve collected things like a WC T5 that’s rebuilt, a stock replacement 93 5.0 harness, 5 lug wheels, a 95 Cobra rear end, used longtubes, and working on getting a set of fuel lines (5.0 replacement). My intention is to convert the car not only accurately, but efficiently. I want to be able to pop the hood and it not be just another 5.0 stuck in the bay of a 4 banger. When people do that it’s easily recognizable and annoys me. Also money is a huge factor because of my intention to buy some very expensive suspension for the car.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

A friend on CC traded me these wheels for some junk I had laying around. They have good tires except for one. I plan to run Falken 615’s (semi track tires) since we don’t get snow here.

IMG_1655.jpg

But now for the exciting news. I’ve decided to splurge and have Maximum Motorsports assemble a set of custom Dampeners and Coil overs for me. I intend to track the car some and while I’d love to buy their big box, 4k just isn’t in the budget after purchasing the house.

Planning on snatching the 4 lug axle out, snatch the tank and rest of the lines off, remove everything and get to cleaning, weld the FLSFC’s on, and then undercoat. Next will be transmission tunnel hump, fuel and brake lines, then reassembly of the axle and fuel tank.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Thanks guys!

Just picked up a pretty clean A9L ECM for the car. Decided to stick stock electronics for now since they do a good job when reflowed/updated.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Thanks guys! I have a minor update. After dealing with a crazy roommate shuffle and PITA people, I was able to get some work in.

I managed to score an OEM A9L off Facebook market for cheap(ish). Having a friend solder in new Capacitors as all of these are beginning to leak. Not surprising.

IMG_1665.jpg

While also perusing thru the marketplace, I found a guy who was fire selling a 140 cluster. Got it for 70 shipped. I know these have a habit of the tachs going all wonky and being inaccurate so I gave it a good cleaning and check the circuits out. All good.

The interesting part is the airbag cars 140 mph cluster assembly doesn't swap with the non-airbag clusters as they lack the circuitry for the Airbag light. Luckily this one was an AB car. Once I received it I came to realize why it was so cheap- the circuit board looked like a Dorito.

Luckily from previous experience I recall how easy it is to swap the gauges out. I pulled my 93's cluster out and it's absolutely 100% perfect. The plastic and connections are practically new. I dissected the offending 140mph cluster and swapped in 5.0 grade Tach and Speedo with my pre-existing auxilary gauges.

What I got:

IMG_1689.jpg

Disassembled

IMG_1690.jpg

Installed in my OEM cluster

IMG_1691.jpg

Still need to polish the plastic up. This cluster is arguably the nicest I've ever had out of the 40 or so foxes i've owned. Something you take for granted I suppose.

In the mean time, while loaning workshop space to a friend and his BMW, I began to sand and clean more on the body. This is a very large task.

IMG_1680.jpg

I've also received my upper housing bushings, MM FLSFC's, and Transmission tunnel hump. I'll be doing all of the chassis and metal fab work this weekend. A friend lent me his Lincoln welder while he took off for Barrett Jackson. I'll update when that's finished.

Thanks for checking in!

Users who are viewing this thread