Alabama law on blacked out heads/tails?

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
j/w, a buddy has an '04 GT, he swears up and down that he can't put blackouts on his car because of the law (he is also mentally retarted and his parents are super rich... he seems to listen to everything his dad tells him. Not kidding on the retarted part... seriously.)

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
MustangMike said:
j/w, a buddy has an '04 GT, he swears up and down that he can't put blackouts on his car because of the law (he is also mentally retarted and his parents are super rich... he seems to listen to everything his dad tells him. Not kidding on the retarted part... seriously.)

I believe that it's ok for the back, but not for the front.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Although it doesnt address "blackouts" by name that Alabama code I just looked up says you cant have anything covering the front lights at all and the back lights must be red! Also it notes a specific distance the light must illuminate, so I would say you can not have blackouts.

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Although it doesnt address "blackouts" by name that Alabama code I just looked up says you cant have anything covering the front lights at all and the back lights must be red! Also it notes a specific distance the light must illuminate, so I would say you can not have blackouts.

Just wondering. What is the distance the brake lights must be seen? Some people do that spray on tint. :read:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I've got the dark smoke (darkest ones) vinyl tint overlays on my tailights. No ones ever said anything to me about it. Plus you cant even tell their on at night. Lights are just as visible. I think Im going to get the headlights and foglight tint too.

Lawman85

Banned
Matts00GT said:
I've got the dark smoke (darkest ones) vinyl tint overlays on my tailights. No ones ever said anything to me about it. Plus you cant even tell their on at night. Lights are just as visible. I think Im going to get the headlights and foglight tint too.

You may get away with it for a certain amount of time.... but eventually... you will probably get stopped and cited for it. I stop people all the time with window tint who say "I've had this tint on for (how ever many years) and no one has ever stopped me." My response is always "Well, you got stopped today for it... here's your ticket".

The point is, you can probably get away with it for quite some time... but is it worth it to you to pay the ticket when you get it?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You are probably right. I also have dark tinted windows, but have never been stopped for them. But then again, my dad was the former chief of police. Maybe that has something to do with it. :p But cops arent that bad about it here. None of my friends have been pulled over either. Maybe just lucky.

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
Matts00GT said:
You are probably right. I also have dark tinted windows, but have never been stopped for them. But then again, my dad was the former chief of police. Maybe that has something to do with it. :p But cops arent that bad about it here. None of my friends have been pulled over either. Maybe just lucky.

I'm glad you don't get pulled over there....I sure as heck did. When I was going to school in Jacksonville, I used to get pulled over in either Gadsden or Attalla twice monthly.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Lol currently I go to JSU and havent got pulled over yet. In fact I rarely see police. I think they'll say something to me about my exhaust before my tint though.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
I've had the ninosport overlays for a while now with no problems (knock on wood). Although they look dark during the day you can still clearly see when I hit the brake lights. Also at night you can barely even tell I have the overlays on. I've passed quite a few cops (local and state) during the day and they don't seem to have a problem with it, but as Lawman said its only a matter of time till I meet the right cop. Oh well atleast it'll look good untill that day.

Users who are viewing this thread