Alignment issues.

MGannaway

Established Member
I had my 14 GT500 put onto an alignment rack after I noticed one front wheel is not centered in the wheel well and the other is.
Is it close enough to be fixed with CC plates or is there a bigger problem here that I need to look into.
I had them fix the tow and left. Here is the pictures of the before and after.

11719983_10100832692799248_725678768_n_zpsj3by2aul.jpg

11667928_10100832692869108_1145381741_n_zpsnjkelxwt.jpg

railroad

Established Member
I would look at the K member or cross member under the front end. I think it bolts in. There may be enough play to get some of it out. I do not think cc plates will move the spindle front to rear, but an alignment shop might be able to verify it.

BigBlueOval

Established Member
CC plates will definitely take care of the left camber and give you the ability to pull a lot more positive caster.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I think you need to try a new shop!

I have some new in box Maximum Motorsports camber plates if you are interested. PM for info - I am in San Antonio.

psucobra

Established Member
CC plates will definitely take care of the left camber and give you the ability to pull a lot more positive caster.

If the wheel is not centered in the wheel well as the OP describes, it would seem to indicate a bigger issue with the front end geometry that CC plates would just mask. The cc plates will not change the positiom of the wheel relative to the wheel well opening.

Last edited:

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Ii the wheel is not centered in the wheel well as the OP describes, it would seem to indicate a bigger issue with the front end geometry that CC plates would just mask. The cc plates will not change the positiom of the wheel relative to the wheel well opening.

CC plates WILL allow a proper left front camber adjustment, CC plates WILL allow more positive caster adjustment. CC plates WILL NOT take in consideration poor body panel alignment.

psucobra

Established Member
If it were my car I would want to know why the wheel is offset. Body panel alignment doesn't cut it for me. I'd be looking at the k member and A-arm to start.

Maybe Im wrong but when the OP states the wheel is not centered in the wheel well, I'm picturing it to be offset to either the front or rear of the wheel well.

Last edited:

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Don't measure the right and left offset of your rear tire to fender opening on your 3 link SN197 car then.

Snoopy49

Established Member
There must be a lot of slop in the front subframe bolt holes. The service manual tells you to mark the location of the subframe in several locations before removing any bolts and the make sure all the alignment marks match up when reinstalling the subframe.

19. Mark the position of the 4 subframe nuts and 4 subframe bolts for reference during installation

View attachment 2013-14 Mustang Subframe - Installation and Removal.pdf

View attachment 2013-14 Mustang Suspension System.pdf

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Rear is one thing, front is another. Apples and oranges.

Just out of curiosity (no sarcasm implied) You do know how to read and understand the alignment print out from the Hunter alignment machine the OP posted? right? Because it shows left front camber to be 1-1.5 10th of a degree negative from recommended. You could not visually see that. It also shows Caster to be 1-2 10ths of a degree negative on both right and left, again you could not visually see that.

railroad

Established Member
Just out of curiosity (no sarcasm implied) You do know how to read and understand the alignment print out from the Hunter alignment machine the OP posted? right? Because it shows left front camber to be 1-1.5 10th of a degree negative from recommended. You could not visually see that. It also shows Caster to be 1-2 10ths of a degree negative on both right and left, again you could not visually see that.

I think his concern is not the caster and camber. He states the wheel (tire)is not centered in the wheel opening in the fender. Either the tire is too far forward or to the rear. Snoopy confirmed my thoughts on this, by posting the positioning requirements of re installation of the K member.
I would make sure I did not buy a wrecked car then put the car on a swing arm lift. Then loosen the trans mount and or cross member, then the bolts holding the K member in, pry the member around until the tires are centered in the wheel well and finish up with an alignment. I am surprised the front end mech did not attempt to correct this. I guess he made his money and moved on.

psucobra

Established Member

No sarcasm implied here either, but obviously you are not going to acknowledge the OP's statement regarding the location of the wheel in the well. Once again, correcting the caster and camber with CC plates will not change the position of the wheel in the well. CC plates are just a band-aid fix to get the car in spec on the alignment machine. The plates WILL NOT address the wheel location. I am not debating wether or not he can get the car aligned with CC plates. My point is, the OP needs first find out why the wheel is off center, fix that issue, and then get it aligned with or without plates. Comprende?

psucobra

Established Member
I think his concern is not the caster and camber. He states the wheel (tire)is not centered in the wheel opening in the fender. Either the tire is too far forward or to the rear. Snoopy confirmed my thoughts on this, by posting the positioning requirements of re installation of the K member.
I would make sure I did not buy a wrecked car then put the car on a swing arm lift. Then loosen the trans mount and or cross member, then the bolts holding the K member in, pry the member around until the tires are centered in the wheel well and finish up with an alignment. I am surprised the front end mech did not attempt to correct this. I guess he made his money and moved on.

^^^^Exactly!!!

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Keep in mind the car in stock form has little to no caster/camber adjustment, if you manipulate the k member to a point you think looks good you will not be able to correct the alignment with out CC plates. If you'll look closely at the alignment specs you'll see the caster is almost equal, meaning the relationship of the subframe, k member, non adjustable strut mount and spindle position are square to the rear tires. If there was a k member alignment issue you would see an unequal relationship between right and left caster due to the position of the k member vs the sub frame.

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Understand entirety. Already mentioned poor body panel alignment. I also Comprende what the alignment specs provided mean when applied to k member vs subframe alignment.

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Lol....thats probably for the best. Here at Ford the customer is always right, because they can afford the payment.

Users who are viewing this thread