All new suspension setup... this can't be normal?

97cobra1

Established Member
All new Maximum Motorsports setup installed. The MM valved bilstiens matched springs LCA, stock uppers with new bushings.

This happens when i park in my girlfriends driveway.
386F6AC2-CCA6-4DED-8EC0-0091E096A0CA-11656-00000E921DE13A8E.jpg

Driver side
84DAE296-D6EA-4A0F-AF47-338CFF6A3771-11656-00000E921ACBF301.jpg

Pass. side
72B93D79-DCE1-4C10-B406-19E2A4F9E8F1-11656-00000E92179999DB.jpg

The driveway in cut pretty awkward i guess it dips down right past the gravel line.

The car kinda feels floaty in the rear but i just had all the suspension stuff finished and also got some BFG Sport Comp-2s installed in a 275/40 yesterday and the new lowers and upper setup (it was stock lower and some aftermarket junk upper i got rid of).

I can't tell if the rear is wanting to wiggle or if it's the new suspension setting into the turn and it's more apparent with the subframe connectors and the cage.

and one for fun.
FDAA7007-D373-462D-85E7-CA3FB6DD1AEC-11656-00000E922120B1E4.jpg

Last edited:

97cobra1

Established Member
I dont really have a way to get the car in the air. all suspension/rear end work was done by the same shop.

It did this previous to the new suspension as well, just assumed it was busted shocks/bushings. Got all that replaced (because they were shot) and still does it.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Yea thats what it looks like. But shit I jacked my car up and put all the weight on the r/r recently and even then I dont think it looked that low.. Lord man. But alas the street springs are softer.

So yea. The driveway just may be that crooked

Helomech74

Established Member
The shop probably installed the shock incorrectly. Check the hardware on the top of the shocks and see how it looks.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I don't care how big a hole you have in that driveway, something is terribly wrong with the suspension there.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Even if you didn't show us the pics of it sitting in the driveway, when you said it feels floaty in the rear end tells me something isn't right. I also have MM's suspension and it is very tight. I also have a pan hard bar on this car, but I have never experienced the rear end get floaty after installing new shocks and springs on any of my mustangs. It sounds like the shop has done something wrong....

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I bet something is installed backwards, I had a similar problem and that is what fixed it. My suspension would squat way too deep on one side on uneven driveways. Also noticed you have a roll bar, that also makes that car way more rigid so it won't flex the same as a stock car, I have noticed that on my car as well.

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
If the car feels "floaty" in the rear, I'm still guessing that the shocks were setup incorrectly with the hardware and they aren't doing anything. The springs are bouncing with nothing to control it so it feels like it floats. look in the trunk and see if the top of the shock is poking up through the upper mount. There is a washer that needs to be installed on the underside of that mount to keep the shock from poking through.

97cobra1

Established Member
It's much less noticeable now that I've driven on the new tires a bit. Flat ground it sits about even on both sides. The Passenger rear is like the width of my pinky finger higher.

The "floaty" feeling only became obvious after the new tires. The suspension has been on for a while. I'm gonna go by the shop Tuesday and show them the pictures I posted and see what they say.

Honestly with more driving it feels more like body roll and the susPension setting into turns.

It had stock shocks/struts and sport lines on it before with almost bald tires. Since the comp2s gOt put on its the first time ive got to actually drive the car hard since all the new stuff has been changed.

Users who are viewing this thread