All over refinishing of a DSG 03 Cobra

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I found a small ding in the left rear quarter panel. It was small enough where most of it blocked out without adding filler. A few coats of JP285 and another blocking or two and it will be completely gone.

DSC06216.jpg

The left rear pillar panel blocked out nicely but there was a ripple or two that will require some additional primer/block work. These ripples are mainly caused by the tension from the fasteners behind the panel pulling a bit too hard and distorting the outer face.

DSC06220.jpg

DSC06222.jpg

I noticed the factory stamping around the left wheel opening left a lot to be desired. A few passes with the block and that area felt much better.

DSC06214.jpg

The top of the quarter panel/driver door transition was in decent shape but again a few passes with the file board proved it wasn’t as good as it looked.

DSC06210.jpg

DSC06212.jpg

I finished out the day working on the driver door/front fender transition. As you can see after a few passes with 180 grit on the file board the highs are starting to change color as they spread out and the lows are loading with powder from the clear that has been smoothed away. This area is going to take some time. I am sure it will need to be blocked and primed two or three times to bring it into check.

DSC06226.jpg

DSC06227.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
Awesome thread man! You do some really good work. talk about attention to detail

Thank you. I am finally getting a chance to do a complete all over on my own car and I want to try and hit all those little spots I have noticed over the past few years. After doing my son's 91 GT last year I told myself I would make time for mine as soon as I could. I am pretty excited about getting it into the booth. I promise I will take each of you along with me, right through the prep, into the booth for the shooting of color and clear, and on to the color sanding and polishing. Just let me know if I am getting to pic crazy.

jbrown1238

Established Member
Today I brought the passenger side up to the same point as the driver’s side. I followed the same formula as I did the day before on the opposite side. After sanding the rear quarter/passenger side door transition I found that the door was pushed out just a bit. A few hits on the striker with the BFH and it was right where it needed to be. Don’t worry, I was careful to place a 2x4 between the striker and the BFH.

After that I moved on to the passenger side door/front fender transition. It was almost identical to the other side. The fender seems to have a slight roll where it meets the door. This is probably from the panel stamping process. Once again the lows and highs were quickly discovered.

DSC06256.jpg

DSC06257.jpg

I finished out the day by sanding down the rest of the passenger side and cleaning the car up a bit. I need to hit the road on Thursday for work so I wanted to make sure it looked clean before taking it out in public. :)

DSC06254.jpg

DSC06239.jpg

DSC06235.jpg

DSC06242.jpg

jbrown1238

Established Member
Iv learned so much from this thread already its unreal iv sanded cars before but never with as much detail, Im in aww!

Just wait until I get color and clear on it. Thats when the detail sanding really gets serious. I will be hand sanding every square inch with a 1 1/2 inch x 1 inch soft block, using 1000 grit and then 2000 grit before moving on to the polishing.

jbrown1238

Established Member
Yeah...I hand sanded my entire car...it took forever, but well worth it.

P1010093.jpg

Yep, I can tell by the photo for sure. From the reflection it looks like your fenders and doors line up nicely. Nothing like a smooth black car. I can appreciate the reflection of the gravel down at the bottom. That is the area most people want to short cut. Looks like you spent a lot of time on it.

Last edited:

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
I just spent a good 30 minutes reading your fox refinishing thread, and holy crap! Can't wait to see how this one comes out. You are very talented, love all the attention to detail.

jbrown1238

Established Member
I just spent a good 30 minutes reading your fox refinishing thread, and holy crap! Can't wait to see how this one comes out. You are very talented, love all the attention to detail.

Thank you, it just goes to show, a few tools and some sand paper can get ya into trouble!

jbrown1238

Established Member
Sorry, no updates, had to take a day off. Should have some soon.

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
The passenger side fender/door transition took just a very light skim coat of Evercoat and a light sanding with 180 to bring it ready for the JP285 primer surfacer. Saturday morning I will do the same on the driver side and these two spots will be done except for 2 or 3 stages of priming/blocking to get it ready for paint. I hope to be ready to tape the car up on Monday and start shooting primer.

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06299.jpg

DSC06300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread