Almost complete !!! - HPP TT Kit on 97 Cobra...

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
xtremejc said:
They were given to me by a very good friend after his car was lost in a wreck and replaced with a later model Cobra. I don't quite know where they came from but I know they are rather unique and I appreciate he hooking me up. They read "TERMITATOR 32V" !!! :rockon: :beer:

JC
That's an awesome set up...but too expensive for me. She's gonna be a beast. I am now making similar plug wire covers, you can see them in my signature pics. PM me if interested.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Albino Snake said:
Gorgeous!!! Love the look of this kit, one of the cleanest setups I have seen. Your car and Eric Dillards Turbo 97 are my favorite turbo four valves. That car will do extremely well backed by that auto tranny, consistency out the ass:rockon: ... even though a manual would be fun as hell around town, and on the freeway.. Oh my GOD:coolman: Turbo modulars:rockon:

Thanks bro... You are too kind !!!

SKMCOBRA said:
That's an awesome set up...but too expensive for me. She's gonna be a beast. I am now making similar plug wire covers, you can see them in my signature pics. PM me if interested.

It's not that expensive once you consider the power potential. It is hard to outgrow the turbo setups, you can always go to a bigger set of snails and the power would be way into 4 digits...

The plug covers look awesome !!!

JC

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
Howdy JC! Your 97 has come a LOOOOOOOONG way since we robbed the exhaust off of it! I envy all of you who have these kinds of funds to throw into your cars and maintain the lifestyles you do. *sigh*, graduation is just around the corner, and then hopefully some time soon it will be my turn! :D

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
68Stang said:
Howdy JC! Your 97 has come a LOOOOOOOONG way since we robbed the exhaust off of it! I envy all of you who have these kinds of funds to throw into your cars and maintain the lifestyles you do. *sigh*, graduation is just around the corner, and then hopefully some time soon it will be my turn! :D

Believe me bro, I took me way longer than you think to be able to afford a few toys... Now is my time and I am enjoying the hell out of it. I grew up with nothing, studied hard, worked harder, and invested my money wisely. Your time will come my friend !!! :beer:

Thanks,
JC

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
That is one damn clean lookin' engine bay!

I know of an 04 Cobra that had 61s and it took forever for that thing to spool up. It had 3.55s and was quite a pig down low. He had the turbines replaced and it helped some, upper rpm power was great with over 900 rwhp. That was an HP kit that took many hours to get to fit correctly. It may take you a bit longer to build boost since you are running B heads.

BTW, B heads like (not love) boost but all the other heads will make more power than them, especially when the B heads are used with a stock intake.

Last edited:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
na svt said:
That is one damn clean lookin' engine bay!

I know of an 04 Cobra that had 61s and it took forever for that thing to spool up. It had 3.55s and was quite a pig down low. He had the turbines replaced and it helped some, upper rpm power was great with over 900 rwhp. That was an HP kit that took many hours to get to fit correctly. It may take you a bit longer to build boost since you are running B heads.

BTW, B heads like (not love) boost but all the other heads will make more power than them, especially when the B heads are used with a stock intake.

I do respect your opinion and thank you for the compliments however I will disagree with you on the power potential of the B heads. The B heads are probably the best heads out there for people running boost. The fastest boosted cars out there all run B heads (some with more work on them than others! - John Mihovetz, Dave King, Tim Palmer, Bob P). The will not be ideal for NA applications but for boost I put them up against any other mod motor head out there any day of the week. I am not encouraging folks to swap C heads and intake setups for B headed setups but for those of us that already have B heads and want to run boost, B heads will work just fine. I have a set of stock C heads and cams along with short runner C intake that I will be trying once I get the setup running. I am almost certain that they will not make more power than my B heads and if they do, I will be the first one eating crow and admitting to it here (plus I will leave them installed !!!:rockon: )

The 61mm GT35 (.58 A/R) units will be fully spooled up by 3500-4000 RPM which is what I need since my car will never see RPM's below that while racing (my car only sees very limited street time) plus the car has an C4 with t-brake on it...

Thanks for your thoughts !
JC

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
xtremejc said:
I do respect your opinion and thank you for the compliments however I will disagree with you on the power potential of the B heads. The B heads are probably the best heads out there for people running boost. The fastest boosted cars out there all run B heads (some with more work on them than others! - John Mihovetz, Dave King, Tim Palmer, Bob P). The will not be ideal for NA applications but for boost I put them up against any other mod motor head out there any day of the week.
The 61mm GT35 (.58 A/R) units will be fully spooled up by 3500-4000 RPM which is what I need since my car will never see RPM's below that while racing (my car only sees very limited street time) plus the car has an C4 with t-brake on it...

JC

As for the heads, I've spoken to John Mihovetz about this and he'd be the first one to tell you that B heads require a lot of work to make them better than the other heads. He said that for engines operating in the 9000rpm range with a lot of boost that "his" worked B heads work better than any other head he has tried...but he has hundreds, if not thousands of hours of development into them. They also need an aftermarket intake cause the stock intake stinks. I know, I have a B headed Cobra and that design is awful. He also recommends 03/04 or C heads before the Bs for any engine, n/a or FI, and not operating in the 8500-9000rpm range.

Last edited:

Albino Snake

Established Member
I just spoke with John Mihovetz minutes before typing this post.... his response about the B head is that it is a great head and he wouldn't run anything else. He says it all depends on where you want to make your power, he most definately recommends B heads for forced induction(I didn't even bother asking about N/A, being that I will be force inducted.) He mentioned the reason most guys don't like the B head is because they don't know D!CK about their potential, or what to do with them to make great power. I also spoke with him about my stock compression built bottom end, short runner, SHM blower cams, ported B heads, Vortech T trim, etc., and he thinks I have a great combo save for the paxton intercooler which he thinks might be restrictive at the HP I will be making. He believes as well as I do these cars need compression, he says he doesn't even build low compression motors at all... all the cars he says he builds either retain or increases the compression ratio. He believes that lower compression makes these cars a little terdish down low as do I. As for my shortended runners, he said they would move my torque curve up the rpm band(which I already knew,) but will make great power where needed. I will have to rev it to make power, but he also said show me a 4.6 that doesn't need rpms to make power centrifigally blown. He says with my combo I should be good up until 8000 rpm based on the parts I have, with the car never running out of breath. I still have faith in my intercooler, especially since it cost me $1300.00+:D, but if it doesn't work as planned I will just have to upgrade.. that is the name of the game:shrug: I hated to sway away from topic so much, but the main point here is that B heads:rockon: and I know it. Some people doubt my combination, but as long as I know I have a good solid build going who cares what anyone else thinks:shrug:

Last edited:

Albino Snake

Established Member
xtremejc said:
I do respect your opinion and thank you for the compliments however I will disagree with you on the power potential of the B heads. The B heads are probably the best heads out there for people running boost. The fastest boosted cars out there all run B heads (some with more work on them than others! - John Mihovetz, Dave King, Tim Palmer, Bob P). The will not be ideal for NA applications but for boost I put them up against any other mod motor head out there any day of the week. I am not encouraging folks to swap C heads and intake setups for B headed setups but for those of us that already have B heads and want to run boost, B heads will work just fine. I have a set of stock C heads and cams along with short runner C intake that I will be trying once I get the setup running. I am almost certain that they will not make more power than my B heads and if they do, I will be the first one eating crow and admitting to it here (plus I will leave them installed !!!:rockon: )

JC
I have to agree with you about most of the fastest blown cars still running B heads, I wonder why these guys still retain there B heads even though the C head is proclaimed to be the better head...HMMMM, maybe its because they can't afford the swap...NOT

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
I appreciate your input guys but I will not debate head design on this post. I will use both setups and will pick the one that makes the most power over a broader RPM range. I am almost 99% sure that the B heads will outperform the C head combo I have sitting in the garage but we shall see hot it works out. I am thinking about going to a sullivan intake if it ever becomes available for the B heads.

It is going to be fun testing all this stuff...

Thanks again guys !!!
JC

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Albino Snake said:
I just spoke with John Mihovetz minutes before typing this post.... his response about the B head is that it is a great head and he wouldn't run anything else. He says it all depends on where you want to make your power, he most definately recommends B heads for forced induction(I didn't even bother asking about N/A, being that I will be force inducted.) :

Like I said, they work if you have John port them and you want to make your power at 9k...and go with a sheetmetal intake. Did he also tell you that he spends a very, very long time porting the B heads to get them to work and that he is the only one that has really gotten them to work? His heads aren't anywhere near a stock or even a mildy ported B head so they cannot be compared to what you have. Also, his intake is far from stock. Take a look at what heads are making the most power with 25lbs or less boost.

Albino Snake said:
I have to agree with you about most of the fastest blown cars still running B heads, I wonder why these guys still retain there B heads even though the C head is proclaimed to be the better head...HMMMM, maybe its because they can't afford the swap...NOT

These "fastest blown cars" are not street cars or even close to streetable, they are full on 30-40 lbs of boost race cars. That's like comparing the 205cc AFR to the 165 AFRs for the 302 and 352 motors. They may work okay on the TT car in this thread because it's pretty much a race car. Street cars however, FI or n/a, benefit from the increased intake charge provided by the smaller ports of the newer heads. Once the piston starts traveling up the cylinder on the compression stroke it begins acting against the intake charge. Here is where the increased velocity of the smaller ports overcome the greater cylinder pressure. B heads however, don't have the velocity to overcome the pressure and the intake charge stalls before the cylinder is completely filled. Increase the exhaust valve duration as you would with FI cams and the filling reduced even more down low. The poor design of the intake adds to the problem as it's tight turns and shrouded inlets act against the building of velocity.

Last edited:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
na svt said:
Like I said, they work if you have John port them and you want to make your power at 9k...and go with a sheetmetal intake. Did he also tell you that he spends a very, very long time porting the B heads to get them to work and that he is the only one that has really gotten them to work? His heads aren't anywhere near a stock or even a mildy ported B head so they cannot be compared to what you have. Also, his intake is far from stock. Take a look at what heads are making the most power with 25lbs or less boost.

These "fastest blown cars" are not street cars or even close to streetable, they are full on 30-40 lbs of boost race cars. That's like comparing the 205cc AFR to the 165 AFRs for the 302 and 352 motors. They may work okay on the TT car in this thread because it's pretty much a race car. Street cars however, FI or n/a, benefit from the increased intake charge provided by the smaller ports of the newer heads. Once the piston starts traveling up the cylinder on the compression stroke it begins acting against the intake charge. Here is where the increased velocity of the smaller ports overcome the greater cylinder pressure. B heads however, don't have the velocity to overcome the pressure and the intake charge stalls before the cylinder is completely filled. Increase the exhaust valve duration as you would with FI cams and the filling reduced even more down low. The poor design of the intake adds to the problem as it's tight turns and shrouded inlets act against the building of velocity.

Can you please start off a new thread to talk about the defficiencies of B heads versus C heads and not turn my thread into an argument? I would appreciate it !

I made the choice to run the B heads for now and I can certaily live with whatever drawbacks they may bring with them. Let's just wait for the results without making any conclusions...

Thanks,
JC

Bullitt66

Adiccted SVT Poster
Established Member
xtremejc said:
Can you please start off a new thread to talk about the defficiencies of B heads versus C heads and not turn my thread into an argument? I would appreciate it !

I made the choice to run the B heads for now and I can certaily live with whatever drawbacks they may bring with them. Let's just wait for the results without making any conclusions...

Thanks,
JC
hey, how are you tuning that combo?

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Bullitt66 said:
hey, how are you tuning that combo?

I will be using a a BA2800 MAF, 75 lb High Impedance injectors, and SCT Chip tune via PRP. I do have a Diablo MAFia available just in case I run out of meter range and have access to a set of 83 lb High Z inectors if I need them. If that setup does not work I will be switching to either BS3 or FAST but I doubt I will need it at my power level...

Thanks,
JC

Users who are viewing this thread