Am I even a car guy anymore? Something is happening to me-

Never_Enough

Established Member
To add, I don't feel like the money and time spent on the car are a waste. It's what I enjoy. If not the car, it'd get spent on something else I enjoy. That's what we earn it for right?

+1

OP, how do you know the loud car that you don't like is their life? It's a hobby like it is for the rest of us. How do you know they don't have a family that they spend most of their time with and money on & that car is just their little escape?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Like everyone said it happens.. I'm 24 almost 25 with a 3yr old.. There are times where my Cobra just sits for a couple weeks. I drive my Fusion (awesome DD) and it's great.. Then I take my Cobra out with my son and it's a quick reminder how much I love the car. It's paid for, not much left to do modding wise etc..

I have a thing worked out with my buddies Dad that if I ever feel the need to sell the car he'll buy it and keep it until I'm over whatever funk I'm in to buy it back lol. But I don't see that ever happening.. I'm hoping that in 15years I can give it to my son.. It'll be detuned or the blower completely taken off etc and he can drive a 300hp car lol. I'm assuming that by that point Honda Civics will have over 300hp stock lol!

SoCaDan

Established Member
Definitely happens. Life, interests, and priorities change. In my mid twenties I married, bought a home, had a child. That was most important to me. Years following it was about providing a wonderful life for my daughter. Showing her the world. Going on countless vacations. I was fortunate enough to put her through college without loans. Today my passion is traveling. My Cobra is a hobby and not an obsession. I can easily afford the latest Shelby but that doesn't interest me. Now my goal is to continue building my savings and investments and retire at an early age on a beach.

Fuerza

Established Member
I DD a Honda Civic. I've gone from Mustangs to Trucks to a M3. When I think about the money I wasted it sucks. But I still come to SVTP to get my car enthusiast fix. My son is the exact same way I was, loves cars and asks me when I'm getting something fast. Lol

Never_Enough

Established Member
I DD a Honda Civic. I've gone from Mustangs to Trucks to a M3. When I think about the money I wasted it sucks. But I still come to SVTP to get my car enthusiast fix. My son is the exact same way I was, loves cars and asks me when I'm getting something fast. Lol

An M3 is a fun toy so you have no reason to complain. :lol:

20redfire03

Established Member
It happens. I really enjoy the lack of worry or effort involved in driving my Focus. So much that I've considered selling the V, almost daily. But then I drive it and...yeah. Don't know if I'm ready yet.

I do the exact same with my Cobra. Think about selling it then I drive it around and the thoughts go away for a few days.

CrispCobra95

Established Member
Well it sounds like a lot of people are about ready to sell. I can't wait to see the market flooded with these nice rides. I'll be there to scoop up the good deal.

BladeX10

Established Member
I think there is a fine line between being a car guy and being obsessed. I miss having a sports car to run around in the twisty roads of the mountains/hills(i live right down the street from them) with and cruising around in. When i get my next sports car, Im not going to be obsessed with mods and blowing money on it. If i get tired of it, ill just put it under a cover and let it sit for a few months and cool off and pretend i dont have it anymore. Wish i couldve done that with my last set of cars instead of selling and losing my ass on them.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My solution was to have a daily driver AND a blood and guts performance car.

Daily = 04 SVT Focus (not boring!:rockon:)
564263_3672372853805_1409426868_3425088_931942282_n.jpg

Blood and Guts!!
800w.jpg

:p
emma-watson-s-troll-face_528_poster.jpg

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Like most on here I have always been all about cars. About 3 years ago I took a break, I ended up selling my 04 Z06 and picked up a 2010 F-150. During those 3 years I really missed having a sports car and during that time I got married and now have a 10 month old daughter. We paid the truck off a few years early and now I have a DD, a truck and my Cobra. Its not my life by any means, its just a hobby that I enjoy working on when time permits. It will be paid off in a few months and I plan to mod the hell out of it and enjoy it for years to come!!

Maustang

Established Member
Your only 23 when I was that age all I thoght about was hookers and blow,
But know that I'm older it's strippers and alcohol.
We all change as we grow older.

nol300

Established Member
^^ early 20's blow and strippers except I accidentally married one that lasted 1 year and that cost alot more than any car.

Now 34 married 8 years kid and all but will never get rid of the Cobra but it's paid for and it can sit there I never even think about selling it and rarely drive it but if it's not mods for the Cobra I will spend it somewhere just like everyone does.

I just quit smoking after 20 years so I have to have a Cobra for stress relief.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Get a high end job, no kids, good weather year round. Dd and a hot rod...winning.
Ive been driving my truck lately and the auto is nice but i would never give up having a fast loud car.
Oh and booze
Sent from my office in the Bureau

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
As long as you can keep the family/professional aspect of your life a priority over the car hobby (or whatever your hobby is, could be anything), you won't hit that proverbial wall that you're talking about. When you start letting mod purchases affect your ability to pay your mortgage, utilities, savings contributions, etc., you start to look at the car much differently. As long as you keep things in the proper order, you won't fight this tug of war in your head.

s|ck

Established Member
I also forgot to mention that competitive powerlifting is now "my thing"... not sure if this has somehow mentally replaced "cars"

Came in to post this, I have also noticed a change in my lifestyle ever since I started getting into bodybuilding. While, I still love my Lightning. It's not on my top priorities anymore.

1o1proof

Established Member
Wonder at what age this happens? I'll be 45 this year and still love messing with cars. But, I do have a family now, and it takes me MUCH longer to get anything done with them. I have thought about getting out of it from time to time, but you have to have a hobbie and so far I have found nothing I enjoy more.

RSbeast

Established Member
I've bought/sold/lusted. After a while that kind of wears you down. Get a little sick of the game and spending the money. I've found cheap toys to be more rewarding. The guilt isn't there and I still have fun. Sold my 06 after I picked up a $2300 Miata and fell in love with cars again. Chasing numbers or keeping up with the joneses on the Internet or a few houses down sucks. I can have 'fun' for fractions and without the guilt. I bought a car I wanted since I was young although its old hat today ( 02 ws6) and have been really happy driving it around stock. It's like a time machine when I take it out; I feel younger.

Turn 30 in a week, recently engaged. I'm actually really happy to be where I'm at vs ass deep in payments while I chase mods. Gives me flexibility and peace of mind. Plus I don't feel as bad getting caught in the rain.

DD an srt4 that's less than quiet/comfy but I hate it less in the summer. Winter makes me hate toys/life as I'm cold and miserable and just don't want to put up with shit. Gotta do what makes you happy tho.

smk2svt

Established Member
My solution was to have a daily driver AND a blood and guts performance car.

^ THIS! ^

I have had a DD and a Cobra since I was 19, I am 32 now with a wife 2 kids a nice house. It can be taxing to make time for everything but man is it worth it.

Like everything in life, you got out what you put in. But to each is own if you don't like the car scene thats cool. But don't hate on us folks that make it work.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread