Another GT500 Vert.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Damn, I've seen HTT and Shelby plenty of times. How about gettin the hell outta the way of the car :lol1:

Should look cool with the lime/white.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
A little better look.

shelbyGT500_news.jpg

BTW, notice anything different about the hood and front splitter? It's hard to tell if the hood has been changed but the lower portion of the front bumper looks very different to me.

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
that hood looks like it is a lot different. It looks like the vents are gone and replaced with a bump in the hood with 2 FAKE vent-like covers. I sure hope not, I thought HTT was against fake adornments.

Where did you find that pic?

Last edited:

USC BME

Established Member
The last issue of Hot Rod said that the front splitter would be changed for clearance issues (gone in the above pix) and the hood would have 2 fake raised scoops to replace the concept's very cool looking vents.

HTT originally promised no fakies and I wish he'd stick to it. Someone at the NY show asked him about putting on rear window scoops like '68 and he did state a philosophy of not tacking on non-functional pieces. I think J Mays also critized the fake hood and side scoops on all late model 'stangs thus cleaner look of the '05 ponies.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
USC BME said:
The last issue of Hot Rod said that the front splitter would be changed for clearance issues (gone in the above pix) and the hood would have 2 fake raised scoops to replace the concept's very cool looking vents.

Dude, are you serious? Now that's just gay. WTF...I need to investigate that one on my own...

Paleoc

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
that hood looks like it is a lot different. It looks like the vents are gone and replaced with a bump in the hood with 2 FAKE vent-like covers. I sure hope not, I thought HTT was against fake adornments.

Where did you find that pic?

The open scoops in the hood were going to have be replaced by something, otherwise snow, water, leaves, dirt and bird droppings would be falling down into the engine compartment. Not an issue for a pure track car but certainly an issue with a street car.
Hopefully it is some kind of a functional grill or something that can be replaced with a functional grill but I suspect not.
Had I designed the car I would have put spring loaded louvers in there which would have popped open once the air pressure had built up to a certain point. But of course this entails additional design and manufactoring expenses.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Paleoc said:
The open scoops in the hood were going to have be replaced by something, otherwise snow, water, leaves, dirt and bird droppings would be falling down into the engine compartment. Not an issue for a pure track car but certainly an issue with a street car.
Hopefully it is some kind of a functional grill or something that can be replaced with a functional grill but I suspect not.
Had I designed the car I would have put spring loaded louvers in there which would have popped open once the air pressure had built up to a certain point. But of course this entails additional design and manufactoring expenses.

It isn't a problem for '03/'04 Cobras. :shrug:

-RR

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
there must be a reason to change it, I just don't understand why. the concept's hood looked great IMO.

USC BME

Established Member
What disappoints me is that you can't take these guys at their words. :bash: Some of you I'm sure remember the interview HTT gave in Motor Trend in regards to how much they've learned from the FR500 racing program. The concept hood was specifically designed this way because they realized how much air and heat built up under the hood. Geez, do we really believe him now as to why there is no IRS? :shrug:

I wish we could get an interview from the bean counters, then I bet we can get solid information as to what will really come out.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
USC BME said:
I wish we could get an interview from the bean counters, then I bet we can get solid information as to what will really come out.

Most of the stuff that has changed has nothing to do with "bean counters". The blower switch doesn't have anything to do with cost, or anything controllable by Ford. The IRS was never a solid proposition anyways, as a good portion of Cobra owners didn't want it, it was reaching, and probably already passed the limit of what it could handle, and it just doesn't make sense to build a mediocre/costly IRS when your new chassis with an SRA outperforms the previous car.

If the hood thing is true, it would have nothing to do with saving money. One hood vs. any other isn't going to cost any more money...

jshen

Established Member
Hood

I know it gets really damned hot under there..I can feel the heat coming from those vents so it must have some purpose...

USC BME

Established Member
DBK said:
The blower switch doesn't have anything to do with cost, or anything controllable by Ford. The IRS was never a solid proposition anyways, as a good portion of Cobra owners didn't want it, and it just doesn't make sense to build a mediocre/costly IRS when your new chassis with an SRA outperforms the previous car.

If the hood thing is true, it would have nothing to do with saving money. One hood vs. any other isn't going to cost any more money...

Then why change it? The '99 & '01 had one, the '03-'04 have two. The hood is one of the outstanding design cues on the prototype and necessary according to the original interviews with HTT. Real vents vs Fakies will definitely cost differently to produce, otherwise, why change it?

Though off topic, the "twin screw" was never an option atleast from Lysholm because they couldn't supply that many for a production run. I also accept HTT's reasoning to keep the SRA not to "create" an IRS to keep costs down as long as performance, not refinement is the focus. :rockon:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
USC BME said:
Then why change it?

If it has in fact been changed, that's the million dollar question. The hood on the car as we know it looks sweet; at least I think so. Changing it is questionable. Changing it in favor of fake scoops is flat out retarded.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
DBK said:
If it has in fact been changed, that's the million dollar question. The hood on the car as we know it looks sweet; at least I think so. Changing it is questionable. Changing it in favor of fake scoops is flat out retarded.
I agree. This may warrant letters to SVT. The hood on the concept was one of the best features of the exterior styling. I don't see any reason for changing it. I'm sure they have a reason, but, I'd rather have no scoops if they are going to be fake.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Makes me wonder how much better the GT-500's cooling system is going to be. I guess they feel that heat soak and what not will not be an issue to tackle because the car already makes enough power. Maybe the cooling system is really good or they have made it induct more air some where else.

I don't know but I feel like everytime I turn around they change the damn thing to be more like a GT. I liked the hood, and I really don't want changing the hood for a vented one to be a performance mod. I also liked the aero package, it really set the car apart from another mustang. Whats next, are they going to pull the Shelby letters off, and the stripes? They have pulled the twin screw and I can deal with that, I just don't want this thing to be a different car by the time they get done with it...that and I don't want to see adds in MM&FF for GT-500 hoods gains of more than 30 HP!!!!!

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Don't sweat it, there's still about a year to go before the production cars hit the streets. I'm sure whatever comes will be to most peoples liking.

-RR

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
I really want to see a rollbar or pop up roll system on thsi car. Without it this car is a non-starter for me. I am tired of being turned away from track days at road courses for not having a roll bar, while all the other high end convertibles (M3, 911, etc.) get to run because they have hoops or pop up roll systems.

I am not going to install one in my '03 or on this GT because it will kill the rear seats which is the whole point of the car for me (not to mention aethetics and resale value). If I did not need the rear seats I would buy a used Viper, 911 or a Corvette.

Users who are viewing this thread