Another Home Audio/Theater Question

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I need a 7.1 home theater preamp that can run 2 zones, upstairs & downstairs where the home theater is; the upstairs is the main living part of the house. I've got lots of multi channel amps, the main one for the theater is a B&K THX Reference 200.7, for the upstairs wall and ceiling speakers (Paradigm) I've got two Niles SI-1230; speakers for the theater are Definative Tech. Mythos floor standing and built-ins for the sides and rear, sub is a 14" powered (1800 watt) Super Cube Reference.

The whole house is wired for infa-red and every room upstairs has a volume control, I'd like the preamp to be rack mountable, but that's not a deal braker. I, of course, need the preamp to run the basic pre-sets on all the components.

Lastly, I'd like the remote to have some kind of a read out so my wife can navigate it with reasonable instruction and while not in front of the system which will be downstairs in it's own electronics room out of sight but adjacent to the theater.

I'd like to spend less then $3000 for the preamp.

Suggestions...

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
A 7.1 pre-amp? Do they even make one? I have a Denon AVR-5308CI which is 7.1 and can handle multiple-zones and it does have pre-amp outputs for all channels, but it's a receiver and not really a stand alone "pre-amp".

So are you really looking for a pre-amp or a receiver?

U.M.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
A 7.1 pre-amp? Do they even make one? I have a Denon AVR-5308CI which is 7.1 and can handle multiple-zones and it does have pre-amp outputs for all channels, but it's a receiver and not really a stand alone "pre-amp".

So are you really looking for a pre-amp or a receiver?

U.M.

Yes, the B&K Reference 70 and the Krell S-1000, but both are over $3000.

Of course I can go with a receiver as long as it has pre-outs for external amps, but I really like my amps (I really prefer my Sony ES tuner too) and feel I'd be paying for something I don't need if I was to buy a receiver.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I would suggest visiting hometheaterforum.com or hometheatershack.com, they have a few people on there that are pretty knowledgable and could help you out. I had a guy on hometheaterforum.com help me out with my diy subwoofer and he was great, gave me suggestions on what to purchase without wasting money, his screen name is Robert_J I believe. He seems to be very educated in all areas of home theater.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
McIntosh? haha

I'm don't know much about high-end pre-amps....but AVSforums know A LOT! Head on over

Users who are viewing this thread