Another Preferred MOTOR OIL Question.....

2013SnakeBite

Established Member
OK, I know, you're probably getting tired of answering the questions that have to do with WHICH motor oil you'll be using, and WHAT specific viscosity grade as well............

I'm wanting to change my oil soon (first time) before winter starts to arrive and at the close of the "normal" driving season for a Shelby. I'll probably have close to about 500 miles come early November......I don't get it out much.
I've been advised to change the oil right before putting her aside for the season, and also add a bottle of gasoline stabilizer to the tank for protection. Anyone else doing this particular aspect?

I think I've decide on one of the following full-synthetic oil brands: Mobil 1; Quaker State; Royal Purple or Amsoil. Think I read somewhere where QS had the ONLY oil that specifically met Ford specifications?? I want the best and would like to know how others feel about these four possibilities.

Lastly, what exact grade are you planning to stay with. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Amsoil 10w40 from the day I got it home. I could care less about meeting Ford's specifications. I care more about my engine having the best oil possible. There is too much research out there to back this up.

Bad as L

Established Member
These guys are dangerous around here....I used to think I was a Mobil 1 guy but it looks like the new hotrod will be getting Amsoil poured in it for it's first change :eek:

Zeroescence

Established Member
Amsoil or bust for me. MotorCrap oil is junk. MotorCrap sheers down from 50w to 30w in less than 3000 miles. Amsoil stays at the 40w for the life of the oil or 5000 plus miles.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Where is the best/cheapest place to get Amsoil? And why 10W 40? Doesn't the manual recommend some other viscosity?

Zeroescence

Established Member
Where is the best/cheapest place to get Amsoil? And why 10W 40? Doesn't the manual recommend some other viscosity?

Amsoil only makes the oil at a 10w 40. Manual recommends 10w 50. But motorcrap sheers to 30 weight. It's been shown the oil pressure stays fine with the 40w.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Oh look.....an oil thread......betcha can't guess what oil is going to be recommended...

Lol sorry oil threads crack me up. Who works in the oil field as a chemist and developer? Who has performed tear downs and performed accurate wear analysis?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Oh look.....an oil thread......betcha can't guess what oil is going to be recommended...

Lol sorry oil threads crack me up. Who works in the oil field as a chemist and developer? Who has performed tear downs and performed accurate wear analysis?

I have done 100's of tear downs/rebuilds of everything from motorcross, street bike, snowmobile, to pro Stock drag cars. I am not a chemist and have no connections to the oil industry. I have seen the proof first hand on rod bearings, bearing journals, crankshaft, and main bearings. Amsoil, Royal purple, Red line, etc, have consistently less wear and tear than the main stream oil brands. I would use any of the 3 on my personnel vehicles. I choose Amsoil because I feel it has the best cost/benefit ratio. Unleashedbeast has done the homework for most of us with hundreds of UOA's, and the results back up what I have seen first hand for 30+ years.

Cold starts are the most harsh thing our engines are put through, they put more wear & tear on our engines than 10 redline pulls. The top shelf oils listed above have a chemical makeup, additives and detergents that help keep engines cleaner, smoother, with less wear and better gas mileage than standard oils by far. And less fiction also means more Hp/Tq. Now if you change your oil every 1000 miles or less, it makes very little difference what oil you use, but most of us don't change our oil that often.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
See iceman that carries a little more weight when you say first hand experience on using better oil and why you choose to run amsoil as it offers a better perceived value to you.

There are oils that perform better then others. To me there are 2 big things that steer me against Amsoil 10w-40. One is Ford does not recommend it. Two Amsoil does not recommend it.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
See iceman that carries a little more weight when you say first hand experience on using better oil and why you choose to run amsoil as it offers a better perceived value to you.

There are oils that perform better then others. To me there are 2 big things that steer me against Amsoil 10w-40. One is Ford does not recommend it. Two Amsoil does not recommend it.

I can't really argue with that, because you are correct. But this is just one example of legal/political/bureaucratic BS that unnecessarily complicates our everyday life and scares/prohibits us from using the best tools for the job.:beer:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
959335_15792548_trimmed.jpg

03reptile

Established Member
I know this is probably a stupid question, but can using anything but the recommended manafacturer's oil possibly void your warranty?

A dealer can interpret warranty claims as they so desire. Some are more relaxed then others. This is too large a subject to start talking about. Suffice it to say; yes, they could, if they so desire. This huge back and forth about various motor oil properties is useless for me, and most Shelby drivers. Unless you're racing a car, full time, it is negligible, at best, as to which oil you choose. These modern engines will out-last most of us, using the recommended factory oil. I put the Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil in my past four Shelby's and its just fine. I've got more things in life to worry about.

03reptile

Established Member
A dealer can interpret warranty claims as they so desire. Some are more relaxed then others. This is too large a subject to start talking about. Suffice it to say; yes, they could, if they so desire. This huge back and forth about various motor oil properties is useless for me, and most Shelby drivers. Unless you're racing a car, full time, it is negligible, at best, as to which oil you choose. These modern engines will out-last most of us, using the recommended factory oil. I've put the Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil in my past four Shelby's and its just fine. No engines blew up, lost power, used oil or did anything but perform wonderfully. I've got more things in life to worry about. ****Sorry, double post***

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
Use what Ford recommends until you are out warranty. If your engine pops and you show them receipts for 40 weight, you give them an easy excuse to deny replacement

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I can't really argue with that, because you are correct. But this is just one example of legal/political/bureaucratic BS that unnecessarily complicates our everyday life and scares/prohibits us from using the best tools for the job.:beer:

All this is personal preference obviously, but for me I am using only Ford recommended products, I believe they recommend it for a reason and are more likely to stand behind that recommendation if something does go wrong and needs repair. Motorcraft works for me. As for the Amsoil comments, putting in an oil Ford doesn't recommend, and an oil that even Amsoil doesn't recommend into your Shelby is asking for trouble. They only way I would even consider that is if their was a huge potential benefit and I just don't see it in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread