Any insurance adjusters have a ?

rjs281

Established Member
My lawyer was made an offer through email for my car from the other persons insurance for my car that is totaled. The number is higher than I expected and wondering if the can change it once the have my tittle and have sighted off on the car. Hoping it wasn't a typo in the email or something.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
How much does the lawyer get? Perhaps that is why the number is larger to assist with your legal fees?

99S_V_T

Established Member
I am a licensed adjuster in several states and currently employeed by the largest auto insurer in North America. Once you sign the title they should give you a check same day. There will also be paper work that you sign saying they are purchasing your car for $xxxx. once you sign that its legally binding. In my experience alot of people who put together the settlement offers are not nearly as car savy as one would hope. Honestly If you are happy with it take it and run. Alot of people don't know you dont have to accept the intial offer and can often get more if you put some time into it. Lawyers are typically uninterested or uninvolved with the property side of things as they are not able to get ANY money for that side of things.... We pay zero for laywers when adjusting property losses. Injury is where their money comes from....

Last edited:

rjs281

Established Member
My understanding is the lawyer doesn't get any off the property money. I gave him the title and the letter for power of attorney for the car. i don't know what the sent or gave him. he just sent an email to me saying that was what they were offering. not sure if he received something official or just an email. he didn't say what they sent him so i don't know how that works. just hoping its not a typo on an email and that when he sends the title to them the say that it was a typo and give me some really small amount.

99S_V_T

Established Member
As stated above the lawyer gets nothing from property... I would call him and confirm the amount with him if its an astronomical mix up...

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
My lawyer was made an offer through email for my car from the other persons insurance for my car that is totaled. The number is higher than I expected and wondering if the can change it once the have my tittle and have sighted off on the car. Hoping it wasn't a typo in the email or something.

I am an adjuster in Waco. In Texas you are not required to sign a property damage release to settle a total loss claim. The only thing you will have to sign is the power of attorney if the insurance company obtains the salvage. You don't need to sign the Title since the power of attorney takes its place. Most insurance companies now use mitchells or ccc total loss evaluation software that is basically a market search in your area. If similar cars are listed on auto trader.com and cars.com for a good price, they will offer you a good amount. If the vehicles are for sale for cheap so will the offer. If you lawyer had anything to do with the property damage, then chances are he will bill you a little for the time his office staff spent making phone calls and getting your total loss paperwork together. Most attorneys around here refuse to do anything on the property side as previously stated.

Usually I make total loss offers verbally and explain to them how i arrived at the amount. I will only send documentation to them if they request it since most people don't care how you got to the value if they are happy with the settlement offer. I calculate total losses using an average of nada retail minus any prior damage with at least 3 comparable vehicles from internet searches. in Texas we add in 6.25% for tax and prorate your registration fees and add $28.00 for title trans fees plus your county fee of $11.50.

rjs281

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. That's just it, i don't know what they sent him other than an email saying the value they came up with. i hope he got more but he didn't say. Would that email be legally binding? Only thing i signed was the letters for power of attorney. gave him the title,but did not sign it. just hoping we don't end up sending them that stuff and the send a check with a much lower number. Lawyer isn't being real clear. But he has good rep.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
no its not legally binding, but generally speaking if they make the offer they will stand by it. What insurance company is it?

rjs281

Established Member
Her insurance is Progressive. My insurance made an off as well,but not nearly as good. Hoping its not to good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread