Any Transmission Experts??

9T5SVT

Established Member
Ok, just a quick rundown of what's going on with the trans in the 2000L. The trans is stock and truck has quite a few modifications, so I know it's eventually a weak point. But what I'm trying to find out, based on what I describe, is if some of you on here might think the trans is history based on your own experiences. I'm hoping what I describe has happened to others and can give advice.

Driving back from lunch today, got on the gas, tires broke loose, let off...nothing out of the ordinary, but this time, right before I let off, the rpms jump real high and back down. Thought hmm, never done that before. Now when just trying to accelerate from a stop, the truck will move slow, rev up, but will not shift into second gear, just rev's as if I've put the truck in neutral.... so what I did was put the truck in 2nd, got to 30mph and then switch it back to drive and then I'm able to drive normal. Anything below 30mph, i have to repeat the same process... and once above 30mph, truck drives normal and shift into all other gears.

So, anyone think the trans is toast, or could be a syncro or something else?? If so, any recommendations on a good place to get a good trans with a bettter stall that won't cost a fortune? Thanks in advance.

Steven

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Check the fluid level and to see if it smells burned or looks discolored. If that all checks good then I'd ask how long since the fluid/filter was changed?

If only one gear is acting up it's most likely a shift solenoid which should throw a code. What power level are you at? The stock trans will easily handle anything under 500-550 RWHP at which point the converter is the weakest link.

snackpac

Established Member
sounds like excatly what happened to mine, but my issue was 2nd gear, the sprag collapsed and all the disc were ruined

9T5SVT

Established Member
Check the fluid level and to see if it smells burned or looks discolored. If that all checks good then I'd ask how long since the fluid/filter was changed?

If only one gear is acting up it's most likely a shift solenoid which should throw a code. What power level are you at? The stock trans will easily handle anything under 500-550 RWHP at which point the converter is the weakest link.

It's roughly 485rwhp on the regular tune and 513rwhp on the race tune.. my dad has a scanner that he can put on it, but will a trans code show up if the check engine light is not on?

9T5SVT

Established Member
sounds like excatly what happened to mine, but my issue was 2nd gear, the sprag collapsed and all the disc were ruined

might be a dumb question at this point, but did you end up replacing the trnasmission?? As far as i know, it's only second gear, but at the same time, when you take off normal and just barley give it gas, it will start revving as is it's slipping until i can get to 30mph, then it drives and shifts fine.....

anyone have recommendations as far as getting a better replacement trans with a better stall that doesn't cost a small fortune? thanks

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You can check it but usually if the CEL isn't on there aren't any codes present. If it's only one gear you could replace just the one solenoid if that's what it is and go on your way. If it's clutch or pump or other internal related then you'll need a rebuild and no there aren't any cheap means of replacing our transmissions. You can get a stall from MHP right now for under 400 good to 700 rwhp but a trans rebuild worth anything will run you ~ 2500.00

Dusten

Established Member
sounds like second gear, either the sprag or the clutches. I lost mine last fasll and went with a built trans

snackpac

Established Member
might be a dumb question at this point, but did you end up replacing the trnasmission?? As far as i know, it's only second gear, but at the same time, when you take off normal and just barley give it gas, it will start revving as is it's slipping until i can get to 30mph, then it drives and shifts fine.....

anyone have recommendations as far as getting a better replacement trans with a better stall that doesn't cost a small fortune? thanks

i ended up just buying a built transmission, i went with circle d transmissions and after everything i could get billet put in the transmission and the torque converter it ended up being a small fortune, but it was well worth it

Users who are viewing this thread