Anybody Riding With Full-time Race Harnesses?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
In my never ending quest to cut weight here and there off my GT500, I'm considering removing the seatbelts and installing a harness bar and harnesses. Has anybody here done that? Are harnesses a pain in the butt to live with? What can I do about the seatbelt light and chime?

Now that I think about it, is there even really any weight to be saved going that route? I know for a fact that seatbelt spools are pretty heavy for their size. I can't remember the weight of the rear seatbelts when I took them out, but I do remember they were heavy. The front seatbelt latch only weighs 0.5 lbs., though. I'm figuring the seatbelts, bolts, and latches will add up. However, if I'm adding a harness bar, mounting hardware, and harnesses with all their buckles, would I actually end up adding weight?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don’t think you would see a big weight drop. Maybe with different seats. That electric motor weighs a good bit with the frame

I've already replaced the seats. That shaved 25 lbs. total. Interestingly, that 25 lbs. made a very noticeable difference.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If you don't already have them, would look at some lighter wheels. A set of light weight wheels definitely makes a difference you can feel by removing un-sprung rotational mass. Then I would look for light weight seats, rear seat delete and I would probably stop there. I am not a fan of most light weight aftermarket K-members, most do give up some rigidity and handling can suffer.

Voltwings

Established Member
Having a harness without a HANS device is a good way to get yourself killed. I don't mean to sound condescending, but i want the seriousness of the danger to be realized.

Stock seat belts are allowed some give, which paired with the air bag keeps most (within reason) of the force out of your body. A harness allows your head to move, but not your body; Meaning if your head is not restrained via a helmet and HANS, and you're too far away from the airbag to do anything, your spinal column will literally separate from the base of your brain on impact - either that or other serious injuries could occur. Do some reading on HANS devices if clarification is needed.

A bucket seat in a street car is fine, as long as it is still paired with the stock belt and has provisions for the belt to actually sit flush across your lap. A harness on a street car is a very real concern.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you don't already have them, would look at some lighter wheels. A set of light weight wheels definitely makes a difference you can feel by removing un-sprung rotational mass. Then I would look for light weight seats, rear seat delete and I would probably stop there. I am not a fan of most light weight aftermarket K-members, most do give up some rigidity and handling can suffer.

I've already done all of that, including the k-member. It greatly improved handling. Just to put it out there, with all the weight reduction I've done to it, my GT500 is probably hovering somewhere around 3600 lbs. The tricky part is that I want it to remain 100% daily driveable, as in still has radio, nav, A/C, front airbags, etc. I once considered some carbon fiber front fenders, but the return on investment really isn't there. The front fenders don't weigh much to begin with. Carbon fiber ones I think save all of 4 lbs. Once this battery goes out, I'll switch to one of those lightweight lithium ion ones. I believe that's 30 lbs. saved right there.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I've already done all of that, including the k-member. It greatly improved handling. Just to put it out there, with all the weight reduction I've done to it, my GT500 is probably hovering somewhere around 3600 lbs. The tricky part is that I want it to remain 100% daily driveable, as in still has radio, nav, A/C, front airbags, etc. I once considered some carbon fiber front fenders, but the return on investment really isn't there. The front fenders don't weigh much to begin with. Carbon fiber ones I think save all of 4 lbs. Once this battery goes out, I'll switch to one of those lightweight lithium ion ones. I believe that's 30 lbs. saved right there.

Which K-member did you use? I know of one out there that is actually stiffer, but there aren't any big weight savings either.

CV355

_
Established Member
As others indicated, a harness may not be the best option for weight savings and there are some inherent dangers. Not to mention, the first time you approach an intersection and need to lean towards the wheel to see a safe distance, you'll be swearing at the harness.

Ever been driving and your seatbelt locks when you go to look over your shoulder or lean forward? It's like that. All the time. Been there, don't miss it.

Forged wheels, manual seat tracks, rear seat delete, tinning, battery relocation, and CF IP/console replacement are your best bets at reducing weight or improving distribution. You mentioned you already have tubular K-member and suspension, so we can rule that one out.

If you get totally crazy with it, lexan windshield / windows / etc, CF or fiberglass body panels... That's where I got to on my '00 GT when I was aiming for 8s/7s 1/4mi. At that point it became absolutely terrible to drive and I gave up.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Having a harness without a HANS device is a good way to get yourself killed. I don't mean to sound condescending, but i want the seriousness of the danger to be realized.

Stock seat belts are allowed some give, which paired with the air bag keeps most (within reason) of the force out of your body. A harness allows your head to move, but not your body; Meaning if your head is not restrained via a helmet and HANS, and you're too far away from the airbag to do anything, your spinal column will literally separate from the base of your brain on impact - either that or other serious injuries could occur. Do some reading on HANS devices if clarification is needed.

A bucket seat in a street car is fine, as long as it is still paired with the stock belt and has provisions for the belt to actually sit flush across your lap. A harness on a street car is a very real concern.
This.

Trying to save weight by removing seatbelts for a harness bar is insane (no offense) it realistically requires a cage. And having harnesses in a street car gets extremely old very fast.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
You have to check and see if the harnesses you are looking at are even considered legal restraints. Schroth makes DOT approved harnesses, but most even though we all know they are "safer" are not DOT approved.

Never_Enough

Established Member
This.

Trying to save weight by removing seatbelts for a harness bar is insane (no offense) it realistically requires a cage. And having harnesses in a street car gets extremely old very fast.
It does get old. Drove my old LX around on the street w/the harness & it was a PITA

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not a joke, but when John Force was looking to cut/redistribute weight on his car, one of his best answers was himself. Don't know what you weigh, but most could drop 10-20 pounds and feel better at the same time. I'm trying to drop another 5 as we speak.

I was going to say something along those lines too, would wager most of us here could stand to lose a few lbs. May not be the easiest way to take weight out of the car, but its the best.

CV355

_
Established Member
Not a joke, but when John Force was looking to cut/redistribute weight on his car, one of his best answers was himself. Don't know what you weigh, but most could drop 10-20 pounds and feel better at the same time. I'm trying to drop another 5 as we speak.

Get food poisoning and you can lose 10lbs in like a day. :(

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... That's where I got to on my '00 GT when I was aiming for 8s/7s 1/4mi. At that point it became absolutely terrible to drive and I gave up.

Yeah, that's the threshold I don't want to cross. Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll cross harnesses off the list, then.

Users who are viewing this thread