Anyone been to St. Thomas, USVI?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I'm applying for a job there and hoping to relocate there permanently. Anybody spent more than a few days on the island? Impressions? I've read just about every scrap of info that I could find on the net, I'm just looking for personal impressions or "lessons learned" that you might not find on a tourism website.

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
I'm applying for a job there and hoping to relocate there permanently. Anybody spent more than a few days on the island? Impressions? I've read just about every scrap of info that I could find on the net, I'm just looking for personal impressions or "lessons learned" that you might not find on a tourism website.

I only visited for a few days, but we were hosted by the Navy League at a private party and I had a long chat with some of them about life there.

I was surprised to hear that there is a lot of gun violence due to the drug trade. They felt like their kids were in danger there sometimes. It's like anything, you can avoid the bad parts, but on a small island it narrows your options. The island itself is pretty, the water wasn't as clear as some islands but it's US and close to the states.

Maybe you could get in touch with someone local and chat online with them?

Nickyoobatz

Established Member
Went there about 6 years ago. It was nice, seemed a little more packed than St. Martin because there were more places to shop. The beaches were beautiful, I spent a day there.

JohninMD

Established Member
Went scuba diving there, awesome water! Cheap liquor too! Had a great time but I thought I remember they drive on the wrong side of the road there lol (been a long time and hit many ports in the navy so I may be mistaken on this part)

M4RK

Established Member
Went there on a cruise a few years ago.. Its beautiful, but I'm not sure if I'd like to live there

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Yeah, they drive on the left there. It's a holdover from the Dutch rule. The cars are left hand drive, so it makes it kinda weird. I'm an Air Traffic Controller for the FAA and I've been wanting to work in the tower out there. The wifey and I don't have any kids and we're relatively young, so we're gonna go for it and try to enjoy the heck outta life before retirement. It does have crime, but they're cracking down hard on it. Just a few days ago they arrested two police officers and a civilian for drug trafficking.

Users who are viewing this thread