Anyone drive their car on winter?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
For the first 4 years I did when I lived in WA state. Took a lot of money to get it so it was my one and only driver. I took very good care of it so it doesn't really show. I wouldn't trade the 45K miles it has on it now to say it never sees rain or bad weather. Way too much fun to drive even in bad weather. As soon as I get it running again I'll be driving it all year round. No longer in WA so it will be much easier to do. :)

mach1033

Established Member
I DD my 89 GT back when I didn't have the means to get a truck. I learned very quick that I would need some sort of 4x4 for the winter months. My cobra is garaged kept.

Mulldune

Established Member
in the snow ...f that,Ill drive it in the winter only if the roads are clear and have no salt on them

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Lived my first 43 years in Syracuse, I didn't always have a hot rod or fast car, but I always had an everyday beater that had good tires for winter duty.

It's all about the tires for you guys who have no choice and must drive it through the winter in a snowy area. All seasons are not a very good option, because they only work well in significant snow when they are brand new the first year you own them and even then you will have SUCKY tires that don't grip, hook or handle when summer finally does come.

A second set of wheels and true snow tires is really the only option that I would even consider. They would be junk yard 17x8" Cobra wheels off an earlier 94-01 Cobra so I knew they would clear the brakes, and I would be running a smaller size tire.

However if this purchase is not carefully shopped you can easily spend more than the price of an old front drive beater.
Although you do have to insure and have a place to keep both cars.

We really don't have a winter here in Spring, TX so yes I drive mine all year, but my Focus is my daily beater/commuter.

Last edited:

SJ SNAKE

Venomous
Established Member
Never seen a flake of snow/drop of rain.. Always in the garage unless the bright and beautiful Sun is out :rolling:

Yet again, I only put around ~600 miles on her yearly ;-)

Do you clean the undercarriage at all and what tires do you use on it?

I never clean the undercarriage. I use the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Its a great ultra high peformance all season tire. Its oustanding in the rain and cold roads. And the rubber lasts on these bad boys. Worth all $216. I've tried so many tires and this is the only one I can live with in these Jerzey winters.

SLOWNED

Established Member
I live in Socal and DD mine all day. The car is just too much fun to drive! Sometimes the best part of my day is just dropping the top and driving home after a long day at work...but then again in socal it doesnt rain much at all.

perry2k12

Established Member
Absolutely not. My car saw a little winter last year, just because that's when I bought it and I had to move it. I will use my beater S10 and I recently invested in a cheap full size 4x4.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Every day, rain or shine.

Yesterday was nice and sunny, about 52 out. Washed the car and tooled around with the top down. Actually had the top down this morning on the way to work too. It was mid 40's and only a very slight misty rain. Had my coat on and the heat set on the second notch and blowing on the floor. Just right!

Good times :dancenana:

We don't get snow often here and when we do I usually take the wife's Explorer. Rains way too much though :-/

Letson54

Established Member
No Way!! I dont trust people in parking lots around here. However I did go for a ride today and its about to roll over 4K miles. I also have a 05 Z71 that I dont drive any either that just rolled over 20k, but I got a Honda that is my DD that Ive drove for years and its on its last leg but Im a firm believer in having a gas saving daily driver.

Fender34

Established Member
DD mine but its no big deal here in CA.. Hate driving in the rain though, some people are just horrible drivers.. Ex, my fathers 96 mystic cobra just got rear ended the other day by a lady in a BMW, dumb..

ManNmachine

John 3:16
Established Member
I use to have a GT as my DD and drove it regardless of the weather. Moved to Colorado and found out that wasn’t gonna work so I picked up a jeep. This is more a safety concern for me. So the weather will normally dictate whenever I feel like driving the cobra, if it’s snowing, freezing temps it’s not seeing the road.

SVTDice

Established Member
No Snow Florida! Yay. But, I always wondered if the KDW II's would be a good snow tire?

I know my Pilot sports up front would do awful in snow, But since the tread pattern with the KDW's...Hmm.

da2k17

Established Member
sure!

its not a daily driver but if there are some consecuative nice days with no snow runoff/melt and after a rain to wash the salt away ill take it out as much as i can. it loves the cold air. probably get it out less than 5 times the whole winter, conditions need to be perfect or it wont leave the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread