anyone here have a cam follower pop off?

04cobraken

Established Member
Had a miss in my Cobra after a short drive and came to find out I had no compression on cyl 6. Took valve cover off and there was a cam follower just lying on the head. Everything looks fine in the head. Have Comp cams and springs and heads are stock except for a valve job. Anyone have this happen and what was the problem/fix? (Posted on mod fords already but wondering if there is more info here.

cj428mach

Established Member
Most of the guys that have this happen that ive read about had valve seats drop.

ctgreddy

Established Member
95% of the time it happens for a reason, in our cases it's usually a valve seat problem. And if you have zero compression that means the valve is sticking open so more than likely a dropped seat. if the follower just randomly falls off that valve will be stuck shut so compression will be normal.

04cobraken

Established Member
Would there be any noise due to a valve seat problem? The engine had a miss in idle but no ticking or other engine noises. My mechanic is going to put in 2 new lash adjusters in and put the follower on and check it further from there. Any one see it happen where it is not a valve seat issue?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Would there be any noise due to a valve seat problem? The engine had a miss in idle but no ticking or other engine noises. My mechanic is going to put in 2 new lash adjusters in and put the follower on and check it further from there. Any one see it happen where it is not a valve seat issue?

Ive read 1 thead where a guy says his was fine after..I never seen him reply later if things stayed good or it fell off again. .

Wiseguy

Established Member
Many times followers have popped off" on new engines or builds on the first start and people never know until valve cover is off. With a miss, you might have a reason..

04cobraken

Established Member
Just got the car back together and is running great. Compression is back to match the other cylinders and the miss I had is gone. The 2 lash adjusters on number 6 cylinder were bad. One we couldn't bleed at all and the other we could only get a drop of oil out of. Put 2 new ones in and seems to have fixed the problem. Going to put some miles on it this week to make sure all is well. I'll report back either way but hoping for the best. Thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread