Anyone know a lot about hearts?

S197man

Established Member
I am 19 years old now, but when I was 16, I was diagnosed with a weird heart problem that I didn't know I had. It's called a diolated (or enlarged) aorta. Well, It's the aortic root that's enlarged.

Anyways, I'm not supposed to lift crazy amounts of weight, or do isometric excersice due to the fact that it could tear the aortic tissue, causing what is called a dissection and I could die. I also can not play any contact sports (although I did when I was younger, not knowing :eek:).

I was just checking to see who else on here may have this, and what kinds of workouts you do?

Luckily, I am a bigger dude to start with, so I don't have to work out to look ripped.

P.S- This problem comes with NO symptoms whatsoever. It's a good idea for everyone on here to get an EKG if you can afford it. It could save your life in the long run.

Sinnz28

Established Member
I don't have your problem but i do have a bicuspid valve. i have two valves instead of three, it just means that i am more prone to infection when having dental work done.
(that's what i was told)
good luck with it.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
THis may or may not help but I had a somewhat similar issue but not as severe as you. Did you have an Echocardiogram as well????, I ask cuz I remember when they gave me an EKG it didnt show anything but the Echo did,

I had an enlarged valve or chamber in my heart it was too thick, but that was caused by hypertension, I recently got off my meds on the advice of a doctor, i waited until my original priscription ended before I did stop and Im gonna get a check up soon to see if anything changed.

I was on the medication for 6 years and made lots of lifestyle changes. I was told not to lift heavy but I got back into it slowly, and with the change in my diet, weight, and meds the enlarged part of heart returned to a normal size and hasn't gotten bigger again so I assume my issue was because of the hypertension. Hopefully my weight doesnt effect it as I am up to about 188 when i was as low as 150 when I was trying to get healthy.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
are you sure you don't have marfan's??

your best bet is to consult your cardiologist, as your problem is rare enough that no one on this site may have the same problem. my advice to anyone looking to participate in vigorous physical activity is to get a sports physical, and routine check-ups with a family physician. routine physicals more commonly lead to the diagnosis of heart conditions than getting a screening EKG. that's why its called a pre-participation sports physical, and not a pre-participation EKG

good luck.

S197man

Established Member
Yeah, I am 100% positive I am not a marfan. Cardiologist from Duke Univeristy confirmed that.

I had an Ekochardiogram (<--spelling??) and all kinds of crazy crap done to me the day they found it. They gave me the exact measurements of the enlargement, and they said that if it progresses 2 more millimeters, they'll have to open me up and fix it.

I hope and pray it doesn't come to that

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I was in the middle of testing for a heart condition when my insurance went out (I turned 18)...most I found out from an x-ray was that my heart, literally, was in the wrong place...it's too far to the left. Something about my sternum being concave...I don't know, I should probably pursue that now that I have insurance again.

S197man

Established Member
I was in the middle of testing for a heart condition when my insurance went out (I turned 18)...most I found out from an x-ray was that my heart, literally, was in the wrong place...it's too far to the left. Something about my sternum being concave...I don't know, I should probably pursue that now that I have insurance again.

Yeah, I'd definatley check it out, especially if the 'surance will cover it.

Good luck with that, never heard of anything like that

scancion

Established Member
Just make sure to keep a close eye on your blood pressure. I have seen a few aortic disections in the feild and if it is a large disection there is nothing you can do, you bleed out way to fast. Even if you were on the or table chances are slim to none that it could be fixed. Just don't get lazy on this, do routine check up's w/ your cardiologist.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
I don't have your problem but i do have a . i have two valves instead of three, it just means that i am more prone to infection when having dental work done.
(that's what i was told)
good luck with it.

I'm in the same boat as you. They told me to lose weight. I also have a leaky aerotic valve too...

anyone else in that boat?

S197man

Established Member
Just make sure to keep a close eye on your blood pressure. I have seen a few aortic disections in the feild and if it is a large disection there is nothing you can do, you bleed out way to fast. Even if you were on the or table chances are slim to none that it could be fixed. Just don't get lazy on this, do routine check up's w/ your cardiologist.

maaan thats really scary. What do you think my chances are of that happening?

scancion

Established Member
maaan thats really scary. What do you think my chances are of that happening?

Only your dr. would be able to tell you that information. But that is why I say get regular checks and listen to your cardio dr. Atleast you know you have a history of it, many people dont even know that this problem exist. Most of the time it happens on the aortic arch, or in the abdominal aorta near the kidney arteries. If it is in the abdominal aorta then you will hear the term, "AAA" or "triple A".for abdominal aortic aneursym(sp?) The aneursym is a buldge or thin spot on the artery and if it get's thin enough it will disect or rupture. Think about a ballon blowing up and thinning out as it get's bigger, this is the same concept which is why you should keep a close eye on your blood pressure. Just don't get lazy w/ you condition. A true sign of a disection is a "tearing" pain in your chest, and back pain. If you ever experience this type of pain together then get your ass to the hospital asap. It's better safe than sorry. If you google triple a then it will be more specific, but I'm just giving you the cliff's note version. Oh and an EKG won't diagnose your problem, EKG's are specific w/ the electrical system of your heart. Unfortuantly us paramedics cant do shit in the field if this does happen but drive fast and attempt to replace fluid, but like I said before if it is a true disection then you will bleed out way way to fast for any kind of fluid replacement. Not trying to scare you, but these are just true facts and this is what I tell my patients also if they ask about AAA. I found a website for you that goes a little more in depth if you want to check it out. http://www.cooperhealth.org/content/Heart/greystone_23338.htm

Last edited:

Bullitt4859

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. They told me to lose weight. I also have a leaky aerotic valve too...

anyone else in that boat?

Me too. but i had 3 things wrong with me when i was born

Leaky Aortic valve--still there but when i had my stint put in they say it was not as major as they thought

Coarctation of the Aorta- fixed 2 years ago with a stint

Congenital Heart Disease- a pin size hole in the lower two chambers which over my life it has healed itself----:banana:

For me it has been no contact sports except golf, and baseball, which today i am a freshman in college playing baseball:rockon: ive been very lucky and blessed that most of my problem have been cured without major surgery(i had surgery when i was a week old)

Users who are viewing this thread